Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Aug 6, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #226 of 1,907
For my personal listening, I used to own KGSSHV Carbon. Currently I drive my CRBN using KGSSHV Carbon CC also from Mjolnir Audio (Single ended, driven from Chord DAVE RCA). I rarely go past 10 - 11 O clock on the volume knob and DAVE is typically running at -10dB. I use DAVE for volume control mostly. My preference is for transparency and clean transient edges, I have stayed with SS amps.

thanks for the info
i can tell that you have not tried the T2.

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #227 of 1,907
It's really cool to see more and more electrostatic offerings. One of my main complaints have always been the lack thereof. These look really interesting, can't wait to read more once more available widespread :)

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #228 of 1,907
I do not have my SR-009 with me any more, but I believe I had it between 9 -10 O clock (but please do not hold me to these numbers), CRBN traded some efficiency for bass extension.
Could you give your impressions of the sound signature compared to the LCD-4z? I had these and loved them except for the (in my personal opinion) slightly “too” dark sound signature which robbed it of some “sparkle” (again, my personal taste).

how do the CRBN compare?

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #229 of 1,907
Could you give your impressions of the sound signature compared to the LCD-4z? I had these and loved them except for the (in my personal opinion) slightly “too” dark sound signature which robbed it of some “sparkle” (again, my personal taste).

how do the CRBN compare?
Tonally , CRBN has more energy in the upper midrange/lower treble than LCD-4Z.

Aug 6, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #230 of 1,907
I have a Kerry built t2, headinclouds built kgsshv carbon, felitsa audio kgsshv carbon and a mjolnor kgsshv mini
Look forward to your notes. I have 007mki on GeorgeP T2 and these look intriguing.

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:12 PM Post #233 of 1,907
Definitely! i have lcd2 and lcd4, so i know audeze build quality is going to be up there. Tonality wise, the lcd4 has its pluses, Hoping to be blown away by the crbn.
You can't compare a Magnetoplanar with an Electret - two completly different sound-worlds!
"bassheads" will always be disappointed...

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #234 of 1,907
You can't compare a Magnetoplanar with an Electret - two completly different sound-worlds!
"bassheads" will always be disappointed...
i was speaking in terms of general audeze sound and build quality.
i have the sr009, sr007mk1, voce, es1a, phemenon series, kaldas rr1 for comparison with electrostatic sets..

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #236 of 1,907
Sometimes, if you read here in Headfi about amps for electrostatic hp, you get the impression that there is only Mjönir and BHSE.
I `ve had 2 KGSSHV and listend to the BHSE, but PALTAUF toppt them both with body and naturalness. And I can listen to all other headphones on the same level for the same price as a carbon. https://paltauf.com/index.php/kopfhoererverstaerker/khv-esd

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #237 of 1,907
Sometimes, if you read here in Headfi about amps for electrostatic hp, you get the impression that there is only Mjönir and BHSE.
I `ve had 2 KGSSHV and listend to the BHSE, but PALTAUF toppt them both with body and naturalness. And I can listen to all other headphones on the same level For the same price as a carbon. https://paltauf.com/index.php/kopfhoererverstaerker/khv-esd
found some pictures of a khv-es(not esd), loaded up with some fancy jantzen and mundorf stuff,,, and a alps rk27 pot.......

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #238 of 1,907
But the best parts are the ears of Mr.Paltauf! :smile_phones:

I can also recommend the Sirius from Mr. Rauhenbühel already quoted in this thread. Many people also like the Audiovalve, which was a little bit too soft for my taste.

Aug 6, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #239 of 1,907
And there is the ViVa Egoista STX. That could be also a really interesting pairing…

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #240 of 1,907
I `ve had 2 KGSSHV and listend to the BHSE, but PALTAUF toppt them both with body and naturalness. And I can listen to all other headphones on the same level for the same price as a carbon. https://paltauf.com/index.php/kopfhoererverstaerker/khv-esd

Looks good, until I read the specs (at least for normal headphones), correct me if I'm wrong but according to their website, for headphones (Dynamic /Planar) this are the specs:

High output:
15 Ohm 5,6 W
120 Ohm 1,5W
600 Ohm 0,3W

I think are a little bit to low specially at 600 Ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back