Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Aug 7, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #271 of 1,907
No they don’t “work” like tubes ... they are supposed to sound more like them. But since the used constant current sources linearizes the devices, I seriously doubt the validity of that “tube like” comparison.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #272 of 1,907
Personally, if you need to eq your headphones they’re the wrong cans for you in the first place. I could be wrong….
You're not wrong, you just have a different philosophy towards the topic.

The way I see it no headphone is perfect. Each and every one is inherently flawed. Despite these flaws we still manage to choose headphones that are "right" for us. It's a matter of picking a headphone that is the least flawed to our ears and preference. DSP has the potential to lessen any flaws and make the "right" headphone sound even better.

If you find a headphone to be perfect without the need for DSP, then that's great. I equate DSP to modifying a Porsche 911. It's a fantastic car to begin with, but maybe you don't like the stock wheels. The stock wheels are perfectly acceptable but an aftermarket set can make the car even better.

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #273 of 1,907
Don`t forget, that +6db in Bass doubles the way of the drivers! So the question is, if the headphone is capable of doing this. Also depends on the volume you used to listen.
2-3db + is ok for me in the bass, but not more.
And I would never eq analog signals.

Let`s wait and see what the CBRN will deliver. I am not in a hurry. There have been too many just different headphones the last years, but not really better ones.

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #277 of 1,907
Yes and no

live concerts with acoustic instruments are considered the reference and they definitely aren’t EQed.

Any powered instruments are obviously amplified so distortion (in the technical sense, not as a pejorative) is always introduced anyway and EQing is specifically required to counteract the limitations of venues that were never designed and built for music (such as stadiums and arenas, but not only).

I don’t think there is a reference to personal preference.
Interesting, apart from classical, I don’t know of any popular bands or musicians that have been going around on non amplified concert tours.

Aug 7, 2021 at 3:00 PM Post #278 of 1,907
Interesting, apart from classical, I don’t know of any popular bands or musicians that have been going around on non amplified concert tours.
Interesting, apart from classical and acoustical, I don’t know of any amplified concerts that are considered “the reference” to a natural sound.

Edit:

In an amplified concert qualified sound engineers use professional equipment that EQ the sound (in collaboration with the artists) to better match the imperfect acoustics of the relative venue.

It is quite another thing to use EQ when using headphones which effectively create a perfect listening environment which aren’t subject to room acoustics.

As I already stated there is absolutely nothing wrong with using EQ (if you are willing to accept potential technical compromises) but it is assuredly wrong to justify this by creating a false equivalence with what sound engineers do at concerts.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 3:07 PM Post #279 of 1,907
Interesting, apart from classical and acoustical, I don’t know of any amplified concerts that are considered “the reference”….
well, you will be shocked but there’s many people who use certain concerts they went to as a reference to what they want to try to recreate at home with headphones. And not everyone is into classical.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #280 of 1,907
Not to derail the thread, but did you all hear that Audeze is releasing a new, electrostatic headphone?

Aug 7, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #281 of 1,907
Anyway, all I would want to share is that electrostatic headphones can sound dramatically way better with good software eq settings and together with a competent amplifying source (all dedicated stax amps inkl DIY ones in my experience don’t have enough headroom for my eq settings)

And almost all the weak points people complain about can be greatly reduced with EQ to the point that I have not heard of any other transducer system even come close.

Its a shame when I hear someone put on electrostatic headphones for the first time and say great resolution but too bright for my taste and give up on them forever without seeing their true potential after good EQ

I’m out.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #283 of 1,907
Has anyone heard it though? I’m sure we’re all anxious to hear the first reviews. I know I am.
very first post in here Jude gives you an idea where it fits on the estat spectrum. Its right near the 009 in its delivery but obviously not the same

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #284 of 1,907
Don`t forget, that +6db in Bass doubles the way of the drivers! So the question is, if the headphone is capable of doing this. Also depends on the volume you used to listen.
2-3db + is ok for me in the bass, but not more.
And I would never eq analog signals.

Let`s wait and see what the CBRN will deliver. I am not in a hurry. There have been too many just different headphones the last years, but not really better ones.
Wouldn't the 6db increase be quadruple instead of double. +3 being double?

Also wouldn't the same excursion of the driver be necessary if you hear without EQ but 6db louder overall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back