ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 19, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #9,526 of 9,711
Wow that is great info, thank you. Would the stock Atticus have similar characteristics when compared to the Cocobolo one? And are you using the Atticus with Velour Pads which I have heard tame the midbass to an extent?
I do have a Koa VC that I use at home and was considering getting an Atticus to use at work where I prefer listening to acoustic stuff. Would you consider a stock Atticus at 550 to be good deal for that purpose?
$550? OMG yes!

Sep 19, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #9,527 of 9,711
$550? OMG yes!
I thought he was referring to the Janka rating of the stock wood. If that's the price, it's a freaking steal. :astonished:

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #9,528 of 9,711
I thought he was referring to the Janka rating of the stock wood. If that's the price, it's a freaking steal. :astonished:
Other than Redwood burl, I'm not sure anything used for the Atticus has been that low. An Atticus LTD at $675 4 years ago was what brought me into the ZMF fold and that was the hundreds less than the used rate at the time or even now really.

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #9,529 of 9,711
@Wes S @robo24 Thanks for the input guys. I did eventually pull the trigger on the Atticus :). And on first listen it does seem to be a very good decision.
Another thing that I immediately noticed was the difference in the clamp force compared to my VC. Ever since I got the VC it has had almost no clamp force, no matter the amount of adjusting I did by bending the headband all sorts of ways. I chalked it up to just ZMF headphones being a loose fit for me and ignored it since I loved the sound.
But the Atticus has lot more clamp force and fits a lot better. Could this be due to the recent headband changes made to ZMF headphones? I am not very sure about the age of both headphones.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 15.24.23 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 15.24.23 (1).jpeg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 15.24.23.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 15.24.23.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 15.26.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 15.26.09.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 15.26.10.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 15.26.10.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 0
Sep 27, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #9,530 of 9,711
@Wes S @robo24 Thanks for the input guys. I did eventually pull the trigger on the Atticus :). And on first listen it does seem to be a very good decision.
Another thing that I immediately noticed was the difference in the clamp force compared to my VC. Ever since I got the VC it has had almost no clamp force, no matter the amount of adjusting I did by bending the headband all sorts of ways. I chalked it up to just ZMF headphones being a loose fit for me and ignored it since I loved the sound.
But the Atticus has lot more clamp force and fits a lot better. Could this be due to the recent headband changes made to ZMF headphones? I am not very sure about the age of both headphones.
Glad they are working out for you!

I imagine the better, tighter fit has to do with the combination of the new headband and the Atticus using the thicker Ori ear pad as well.

Happy Listening.

Sep 27, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #9,531 of 9,711
What wood is that? I love the orange hue. Reminds me of cherry, my favorite wood, aesthetically.

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #9,532 of 9,711
I believe those are cherry. I have a cherry Atticus as well and love the looks and the sound. I have thought about trying an Atticus in a harder wood however just to hear the differences in sound.

Sep 27, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #9,533 of 9,711
Glad they are working out for you!

I imagine the better, tighter fit has to do with the combination of the new headband and the Atticus using the thicker Ori ear pad as well.

Happy Listening.
It is all due to the headband I believe since the pads seem to be of the same size. I will have to look into getting the headband changed on my VC at some point then.

Sep 27, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #9,534 of 9,711
It is all due to the headband I believe since the pads seem to be of the same size. I will have to look into getting the headband changed on my VC at some point then.
Do they even still sell the old style headband like your Atticus has? With either headband I can make them crazy tight or so loose they barely stay on. Don't be afraid to bend it as needed.

Sep 28, 2023 at 1:33 AM Post #9,536 of 9,711
Do they even still sell the old style headband like your Atticus has? With either headband I can make them crazy tight or so loose they barely stay on. Don't be afraid to bend it as needed.
Ah ok. I guess I will try playing with the headband a bit more to see if I can make them fit better. Just a bit apprehensive of breaking it.
Would I myself be able to swap headbands between the two?

Sep 28, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #9,537 of 9,711
Ah ok. I guess I will try playing with the headband a bit more to see if I can make them fit better. Just a bit apprehensive of breaking it.
Would I myself be able to swap headbands between the two?
There was a ZMF headband bending video put out by @zach915m some years ago, but I'd imagine the method still remains the same (lots of good videos about ZMF care and maintenance on the channel)
- The inner spring steel of the headband is very resilient and can be manipulated with careful and controlled even pressure
- Be very careful where the spring steel connects to the headphone chassis near the two set screws, you do NOT want to bend/kink this area

You won't "break" anything, but you also don't want sharply angled bends that leave residual kinks in the spring steel.
The spring steel can also be removed from the headband and reformed if things get too wonky, the set screws are 3mm hex-head. It is sleeved by the padding of the headband which generally has thin transparent plastic guides on the inside - ensure you know how the spring steel is sleeved before removing it so you can slide it properly back into place once done.
And as with all things, have a plan before you start manipulating it, move slowly and deliberately, and if anything ever feels stuck, then stop, take a break, and come back with a fresh set of eyes
:beerchug:

Sep 28, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #9,538 of 9,711
There was a ZMF headband bending video put out by @zach915m some years ago, but I'd imagine the method still remains the same (lots of good videos about ZMF care and maintenance on the channel)
- The inner spring steel of the headband is very resilient and can be manipulated with careful and controlled even pressure
- Be very careful where the spring steel connects to the headphone chassis near the two set screws, you do NOT want to bend/kink this area

You won't "break" anything, but you also don't want sharply angled bends that leave residual kinks in the spring steel.
The spring steel can also be removed from the headband and reformed if things get too wonky, the set screws are 3mm hex-head. It is sleeved by the padding of the headband which generally has thin transparent plastic guides on the inside - ensure you know how the spring steel is sleeved before removing it so you can slide it properly back into place once done.
And as with all things, have a plan before you start manipulating it, move slowly and deliberately, and if anything ever feels stuck, then stop, take a break, and come back with a fresh set of eyes
:beerchug:
Oh wow, thank you for bringing up that video. I had seen it when I got my VC; however, I somehow missed the end where he actually goes into adjusting clamp. I followed the instructions and my VCs do fit a lot better now. Thank you again :beerchug:

Sep 29, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #9,539 of 9,711
One other thing you might want to try is it is my understanding that the suede headband gives a tighter or smaller fit. You might want to give that a try in conjunction with bending the headband that the others have mentioned.

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #9,540 of 9,711
I have a modded crack I enjoy with atticus but Im trying to take things to the next level. Appreciate any and all advice on a new amp.

I did hear the evo 300 and was amazed by it but then I heard the evo 400 (both with el34 tubes) and it didnt have the same magic. Made me feel a bit lacking in confidence.

Was thinking ha300 mk2, ha6a, a+s kenzie og, EC aficionado.

In the past I had elekit tu8600 but found it to be too clinical sounding.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back