ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 17, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #9,556 of 9,741
Has anyone tried the Atticus with either the WA 6 or WA 6 SE? I’ve definitely noticed that ZMFs like tube amps like the high impedance Senns. However, the WA 6 SE sounds rather neutral to me, and I’m wondering if a quality OTL would be a better choice for a less analytical but more fun listening experience.
• With the WA6SE, be it Gen 1 or Gen 2, the options for driver tube rolling are somewhat limited. This leaves rectifier tube rolling - which has a large sonic impact. That avenue is open for you.
• As for OTLs, don’t assume that they are categorically ‘less analytical, more fun’. Not all OTLs are high output impedance [e.g. Linear Tube Audio MZ3, Schiit Valhalla 2 …]. Also, some have tube rectification [e.g. Woo Audio WA2], many have solid-state rectification [e.g. Woo Audio WA3]. Then, there is tube choice …

Oct 17, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #9,557 of 9,741
I listen to my Atticus on a WA 6 from time to time. Its a great sounding combo!
What tubes do you use in your WA 6? I’m still on the fence on trying a new rectifier.

• As for OTLs, don’t assume that they are categorically ‘less analytical, more fun’. Not all OTLs are high output impedance [e.g. Linear Tube Audio MZ3, Schiit Valhalla 2 …]. Also, some have tube rectification [e.g. Woo Audio WA2], many have solid-state rectification [e.g. Woo Audio WA3]. Then, there is tube choice …
TBH I was just thinking of the Bottlehead Crack in particular. I hear a lot of good things about it and pairing with both the HD-6XX and the Atticus.

I also just really love the wood aesthetic.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #9,558 of 9,741
What are alternatives to the ZMF Eikon that are less heavy whether open or closed? I personally thought the Denon D9200 is similar but I didn't find it particularly comfortable with those narrow pads, I was curious if Beyerdynamic T1.3 or ATH AWAS might be similar but I haven't found too much information or comparisons. I like headphones to be ~400g or lighter so my life is a struggle.

Oct 18, 2023 at 9:49 PM Post #9,559 of 9,741
What tubes do you use in your WA 6? I’m still on the fence on trying a new rectifier.

TBH I was just thinking of the Bottlehead Crack in particular. I hear a lot of good things about it and pairing with both the HD-6XX and the Atticus.

I also just really love the wood aesthetic.
BHC is a great choice with Atticus and with HD6XX. If you want to ‘bathe’ in engaging, natural sound without the razzle-dazzle that poses as detail, but with the drive and tempo that make music what it is, BHC should be on your list of h/p/a.

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:21 PM Post #9,560 of 9,741
BHC is a great choice with Atticus and with HD6XX. If you want to ‘bathe’ in engaging, natural sound without the razzle-dazzle that poses as detail, but with the drive and tempo that make music what it is, BHC should be on your list of h/p/a.
I'd never actually heard a BHC until recently in the ZMF room at CanJam. I was really blown away by how good it was for the price, but I know it was modded so not sure how close it is to a regular one.

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:46 PM Post #9,561 of 9,741
I'd never actually heard a BHC until recently in the ZMF room at CanJam. I was really blown away by how good it was for the price, but I know it was modded so not sure how close it is to a regular one.
… also whether the BHC had / lacked Speedball.

Oct 19, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #9,562 of 9,741
What are alternatives to the ZMF Eikon that are less heavy whether open or closed? I personally thought the Denon D9200 is similar but I didn't find it particularly comfortable with those narrow pads, I was curious if Beyerdynamic T1.3 or ATH AWAS might be similar but I haven't found too much information or comparisons. I like headphones to be ~400g or lighter so my life is a struggle.
There’s not much out there that sounds or performs like the Eikon’s unfortunately. The AWAS is lighter, but not as musical. Although it has very good tonality for an Audio Technica headphone. It just doesn’t carry the note weight or bass prowess of the Eikon’s.

The T1.3 is good, but you’ll probably want a bright source. I found them a little to warm sounding for my taste. I preferred the T1.2’s to them. With that said I prefer the sound of the Eikon’s to both.

Oct 21, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #9,563 of 9,741
Big grain of salt here since you can change a number of things on the XTC which could make my comments here moot. I went with the 300 ohm beryllium drivers on the XTC-C, near scalpel tuning with emphasis on detail--and I have the XTC-C^2, which are the deepest cups. I've found that similar to ZMFs, pad choice has a noticeable effect. With my pads of choice (either of the angled ones) the XTC-C sounds distinct from my ZMFs because it's all about air and separation, especially in bass detail.

I picked those specs for a complement to my VC, which is sort of what I got. I'd say more of a contrast, because to me, the VC's core is that beautiful, enveloping nature to the sound. The comparison debate between XTC-C and VC isn't really 1:1 given the price difference, and I think they're inherently tuned for different listening experiences. Comparison to the Eikon is more relevant, so it depends on which sound sig you'd rather. To my ears, the Eiks are a tad more toward neutral, less clarity/separation, but because of that they have a more unified, dare I say harmonious? sound. The sub-bass on the Eik is special. The XTC-C are more fun in a way, because I hear different things in songs when listening with them over the others, but that can also make them more distracting.

Someone upthread wondered if I'd start gravitating toward the Eik over the VC--I can't remember who it was but you were right. The VC have become a bit more of a 'specialized' listen where the Eiks are more general.
Hey friend,
Apologies, I never got back to you to thank you for your comments and insights. Shortly after I posted I actually took a dive and got both an Eikon and the Auteur OG and have been living my life disconnected from the temptation that Head-fi brings, aiming to enjoy the music without tempting myself too much.... Loving the two, and while still super interested in the JM XTCs, am focused on my chain now, with a Beyerdynamic A20 incoming early next month. Thanks again for the post and enjoy the music!

Oct 21, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #9,564 of 9,741
Hey friend,
Apologies, I never got back to you to thank you for your comments and insights. Shortly after I posted I actually took a dive and got both an Eikon and the Auteur OG and have been living my life disconnected from the temptation that Head-fi brings, aiming to enjoy the music without tempting myself too much.... Loving the two, and while still super interested in the JM XTCs, am focused on my chain now, with a Beyerdynamic A20 incoming early next month. Thanks again for the post and enjoy the music!
I need to do way more of this!!
Congrats on finding two wonderful pairs of headphones, and enjoy the music temptation free for as long as you can :)

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:49 AM Post #9,565 of 9,741
9347D90C-8683-451D-8AF5-79BE520E7D93.jpeg

Eikon LTD Cocobolo / Norne Audio Vykari HPC / Woo Audio WA3 (Cetron 7326, pair Genalex / Gold Lion [cryo treated]). The hardness of the Cocobolo wood truly preserves the transients’ information - all the way through bass! 😀

Nov 4, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #9,567 of 9,741
just bought another eikon, this time in bocote

its my third eikon, previously owned paduak and a camphor burl. i am especially excited to get a zmf in bocote which is my 2nd favorite wood after blackwood
I am filled with envy! Bocote is a fantastic wood, hard and beautiful. I've seen pictures of bocote Eikons, and every single one looks amazing.

Nov 4, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #9,568 of 9,741
just bought another eikon, this time in bocote

its my third eikon, previously owned paduak and a camphor burl. i am especially excited to get a zmf in bocote which is my 2nd favorite wood after blackwood
Let’s see … 😛

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back