ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Aug 8, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #9,496 of 9,741
Curious what pads people think are warmer on the Atticus, the Ori or Eikon (all in lamb). Years ago when I had both the Atticus and Eikon, I tried putting the Eikon pads on the Atticus, but didn't like it as much as the Ori pads, they felt brighter and thinner. But looking at Zach's pad sonics chart, he's listing the Eikon pads as the warmer set. I just got a new pair of Eikon pads (lamb) so tomorrow I'll bring in the Atticus to work and listen with both the Ori and Eikon pads to see for myself. But curious what other users have found. Pad rolling is one of my favorite aspects of ZMF. To have the ability to easily tweak the sound with products designed by the manufacturer is incredibly useful. Super excited for my experiment tomorrow! I actually meant to do it today, but I was rushing out the door and snagged the AC case instead of the Atticus case. I really need a labeling system! Zach, some cool stickers with the headphone names would rock. Hint..hint....

Aug 8, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #9,497 of 9,741
To me the Ori pads are more mid-bass focused while the Eikon pads have more sub-bass and are a little more linear sounding. I like both but prefer the Ori pads due to the Atticus sounding more like.......well the Atticus with the stock Ori pads. The Ori pads have a warmer overall tone to my ears but they are both warm sounding to be honest.

My overall favorite pads on the Atticus are the Ori Suedes. They retain much of the sound signature of the Ori lambskins with slightly reduced mid-bass. This makes them a little more even while still retaining most of the signature Atticus warm and lush sound.

Aug 9, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #9,499 of 9,741
Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #9,500 of 9,741
Day 3 of coming back to the Atticus, and I have realized that Andrew Bird and this headphone seem to have been made for each other. Andrew's music just sounds so right and lifelike with these headphones. :grin:

These headphones have so much character and really are a blast. Zach really nailed it with these back in the day, and they have such a timeless sound sig. Analog is the term that keeps coming to mind when listening. . .

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #9,501 of 9,741
If anyone has a Blackwood Atticus I'll consider trading my sapele verite closed
I bet the Blackwood version would sound incredible and would be worth the hunt. GLWYS!

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #9,502 of 9,741
Curious what pads people think are warmer on the Atticus, the Ori or Eikon (all in lamb). Years ago when I had both the Atticus and Eikon, I tried putting the Eikon pads on the Atticus, but didn't like it as much as the Ori pads, they felt brighter and thinner. But looking at Zach's pad sonics chart, he's listing the Eikon pads as the warmer set. I just got a new pair of Eikon pads (lamb) so tomorrow I'll bring in the Atticus to work and listen with both the Ori and Eikon pads to see for myself. But curious what other users have found. Pad rolling is one of my favorite aspects of ZMF. To have the ability to easily tweak the sound with products designed by the manufacturer is incredibly useful. Super excited for my experiment tomorrow! I actually meant to do it today, but I was rushing out the door and snagged the AC case instead of the Atticus case. I really need a labeling system! Zach, some cool stickers with the headphone names would rock. Hint..hint....
A follow up to my original post. I spent the day comparing the Ori and Eikon lamb pads. First, the Eikon pads sound much much better now than I remember from my initial try with them. But I still prefer the Ori pads. What I found was the Eikon pads do thin out the mids a bit, giving a bit more air to the presentation. But what I love about the Atticus is that thick warmth. The Eikon pads are reducing what I love, hence my lack of excitement for them. But putting aside my strong preference for the stock sound of the Atticus, I do think the Eikon pads are a very good alternative if you find it too dark. It brings the Atticus very close to the stock sound of the Eikon, minus the big subbass shelf.

Aug 11, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #9,503 of 9,741
The A stands for Awesome. :grin:

20230811_165636.jpg

Got to love Cocobolo!

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #9,505 of 9,741
One of the--if not THE--prettiest pairs I know of.
I agree, and I feel very lucky and proud to own them. The coolest thing is, they sound as good as they look. This truly is a very special pair of headphones, and being that it's from the first ever limited run of the Atticus, I got to imagine some extra special care, thought and love went into this one and I think it shows in the looks and sound no doubt.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #9,506 of 9,741
Updated my Atticus with a new magnesium chassis (replacing older style Mg one). Looks great and ended up weighing 7g less too! These are the first ZMF I bought new in early 2020, back when they still offered staining wood. These are purple stained camphor burl, which are more of a wine color, perfectly matching the wine chassis.
IMG_0234.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #9,507 of 9,741
Updated my Atticus with a new magnesium chassis. Looks great and ended up weighing 7g less too! These are the first ZMF I bought new in early 2020, back when they still offered staining wood. These are purple stained camphor burl, which are more of a wine color, perfectly matching the wine chassis.
I love that color! Very nice set, those look awesome. My Atticus was from the first gens with the blocky solid slider and frame, and swapping out to the more modern aluminum was huge. Way more comfy and light. But I do miss those solid sliders.

Aug 23, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #9,508 of 9,741
Updated my Atticus with a new magnesium chassis. Looks great and ended up weighing 7g less too!
Magnesium only trimmed off 7 grams? Thought it was supposed to be more like 30g. Or was the old chassis also magnesium?

Aug 23, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #9,509 of 9,741
Magnesium only trimmed off 7 grams? Thought it was supposed to be more like 30g. Or was the old chassis also magnesium?
Yes, it's 7 g lighter than the magnesium chassis of early 2020. The old gimbals are noticeably thicker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back