ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #9,466 of 9,714
I gotta give some love to the Atticus. I normally grab the Atrium Closed for work, where I need closed sets, but with it back with Zach for some refinishing, I've been rocking the Atticus most of the time. It's been a nice reminder of how dam good the Atticus is. On top of that, I've been using the suede pads for a change of pace, and really enjoying them! Enjoying them so much I bought a fresh set of suede pads to replace the 4 year old ratty pair I had.

What I love about the Atticus is how fun it sounds. No matter what I play, it's fun. This is a headphone you lose yourself in the music with. I tend to recycle headphones and gear like crazy, but the Atticus has been the one constant in my lineup since it's acquisition 4 years ago. Why? It's just fun, plain and simple. Forget resolution, forget soundstage, forget technical stuff. Just sit down, turn up the volume, and lose yourself in whatever floats your boat. And I'm not saying the Atticus is bad at any of those things, it's quite good. But the point of it's existence is to bring an emotional, not technical, connection to the music. In that it's been near mythical in my eyes. Only the Atrium Closed does it better for me, but the gap a razor's edge thin.

One thing I did notice when I put on my new suede pads, the sound changed from the old set. Not a huge difference, just a bit more spacious and lively on the new pads. I took them off and layed them next to the old set, and sure enough the older set was compressed a bit and not as tall. That would bring the ear closer to the driver, affecting the sound. My suede pads were used quite a bit over the years on other headphones like beyers and audio technicas, so they were pretty beat up. Getting a solid 4 years wear out of them is impressive, especially considering i've been mounting them on sets not intended for them. I change my 650 stock pads at minimum once a year, sometimes twice if I've been using it more than usual, for comparison.

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #9,468 of 9,714
This is a great post, Eric. Thanks for sharing. After recently selling my Aeolus, I've been back/forth lately on picking up an Atticus or Eikon....
They're great headphones. I had two Eikons over the years, and miss it pretty bad. Both are party animals. The Atticus IMO is a bit more extroverted and fun, the Eikon just a bit more polite and reserved, based on it's more balanced tuning. Just my opinion though, if anyone said they rock harder with the Eikon vs the Atticus, I would not disagree.

It's funny, I've been acquiring gear this year bad, and I've been spreading my ear time thin on all the different gear. But putting on my ZMFs, especially the Atticus and Atriums (got both open and closed), reminds me the whole point of this endeavor is to enjoy music. I think a good slogan for ZMF, and steal it if you like it Zach, is "ZMF, the heart of music". None pull on my heartstrings like ZMF. What a fanboy i've become haha.

Jun 23, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #9,469 of 9,714
Popping back in to share love for the Eikon again. I'm an outlier here, but am one of the few who prefers the Eikon to the Atrium Closed. Which isn't to say the At. Closed is bad-sounding, because it's not, but I prefer the bass and tone of the Eikon. A shame they aren't made anymore and I'm so glad I sprang for my pair last ZMF November.

Jun 24, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #9,470 of 9,714
Popping back in to share love for the Eikon again. I'm an outlier here, but am one of the few who prefers the Eikon to the Atrium Closed. Which isn't to say the At. Closed is bad-sounding, because it's not, but I prefer the bass and tone of the Eikon. A shame they aren't made anymore and I'm so glad I sprang for my pair last ZMF November.
Hey there. I have an Atticus which I love, and an Eikon on the way o great to hear that you feel it competes with the AC, which I was also considering for a future purchase.

I see you have the JM XTC - can I ask how you feel that compares with the ZMFs you own?

Jun 26, 2023 at 12:02 AM Post #9,471 of 9,714
Yesterday I went to CanJam for the first time ever and left with an Atticus! Up until now I've only ever owned some entry-level Hifiman (HE400i and HE5XX) and HD 6XXs, but I had been looking for some closed backs so this was my chance to try a bunch of higher end cans. I was able to try out all the ZMF closed backs on my DAC and amp, and also got a tiny bit of time on the ZMF Decware OTL and Taboo.

Going in, I had expected to like the Atrium Closed best of all the ZMF closed backs, but I actually found I slightly preferred the Atticus and VC - maybe I'm just more of a lower mids than an upper mids guy. However, one thing I noticed throughout CanJam is that it was pretty difficult to get a solid mental comparison between the different closed backs I tried (which also included Aeon 2 Noire and LCD-2 Closed). I'm sure this can be attributed to not having used much high end gear in the past, and also just that the comparisons were relatively quick and in busy rooms. Zach mentioned that he hopes to have some ZMF listening events some time after they move to their larger location in the fall, so that could be another great opportunity to get some listening time in!

Anyway, I ended up leaving with an Atticus that felt special to me since it was the first pair I tried, and they had nice little touches like silver rods and an olive green strap. I've been listening to them for the last few hours and I couldn't be happier! I had already loved them but I swapped the pads out for the suede Ori pads a couple hours ago and now they sound absolutely perfect to me. The kindness and helpfulness of everyone working in the ZMF room also made buying these such an easy decision, and I really feel that there's no need for me to search outside ZMF if I'm ever looking for another pair of headphones (which I'm sure I eventually will be after this experience). Zach's philosophy when it comes to emphasizing musicality and emotion in music is exactly what I want in headphones, and they're a company that I'd always be happy to support after meeting them and also only living about an hour away.

Thanks so much @zach915m , @BooUrns , and Katharine (not sure if she's on Head-Fi but she was extremely helpful and her favorite headphone is also the Atticus!) It was so nice meeting all of you and I can't wait to see ZMF continue to make amazing things!

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #9,472 of 9,714
Yesterday I went to CanJam for the first time ever and left with an Atticus! Up until now I've only ever owned some entry-level Hifiman (HE400i and HE5XX) and HD 6XXs, but I had been looking for some closed backs so this was my chance to try a bunch of higher end cans. I was able to try out all the ZMF closed backs on my DAC and amp, and also got a tiny bit of time on the ZMF Decware OTL and Taboo.

Going in, I had expected to like the Atrium Closed best of all the ZMF closed backs, but I actually found I slightly preferred the Atticus and VC - maybe I'm just more of a lower mids than an upper mids guy. However, one thing I noticed throughout CanJam is that it was pretty difficult to get a solid mental comparison between the different closed backs I tried (which also included Aeon 2 Noire and LCD-2 Closed). I'm sure this can be attributed to not having used much high end gear in the past, and also just that the comparisons were relatively quick and in busy rooms. Zach mentioned that he hopes to have some ZMF listening events some time after they move to their larger location in the fall, so that could be another great opportunity to get some listening time in!

Anyway, I ended up leaving with an Atticus that felt special to me since it was the first pair I tried, and they had nice little touches like silver rods and an olive green strap. I've been listening to them for the last few hours and I couldn't be happier! I had already loved them but I swapped the pads out for the suede Ori pads a couple hours ago and now they sound absolutely perfect to me. The kindness and helpfulness of everyone working in the ZMF room also made buying these such an easy decision, and I really feel that there's no need for me to search outside ZMF if I'm ever looking for another pair of headphones (which I'm sure I eventually will be after this experience). Zach's philosophy when it comes to emphasizing musicality and emotion in music is exactly what I want in headphones, and they're a company that I'd always be happy to support after meeting them and also only living about an hour away.

Thanks so much @zach915m , @BooUrns , and Katharine (not sure if she's on Head-Fi but she was extremely helpful and her favorite headphone is also the Atticus!) It was so nice meeting all of you and I can't wait to see ZMF continue to make amazing things!
It was really great to meet you too!! I hope the Atticus gives you some great listening times ahead :) It is always the biggest pleasure of CanJam to meet and talk with the headphone community. I am really looking forward to having some listening events at our Workshop and will put the word out when we've got something put together.

The Atticus is a special headphone and gets lots of love in our shop. So glad it hit the right spot for you. Thanks so much for spending time in our room and for the kind words. It means a lot and we are so honored to have our headphones in a happy home with you. Hopefully see you around!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 26, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #9,473 of 9,714
Hey there. I have an Atticus which I love, and an Eikon on the way o great to hear that you feel it competes with the AC, which I was also considering for a future purchase.

I see you have the JM XTC - can I ask how you feel that compares with the ZMFs you own?
Big grain of salt here since you can change a number of things on the XTC which could make my comments here moot. I went with the 300 ohm beryllium drivers on the XTC-C, near scalpel tuning with emphasis on detail--and I have the XTC-C^2, which are the deepest cups. I've found that similar to ZMFs, pad choice has a noticeable effect. With my pads of choice (either of the angled ones) the XTC-C sounds distinct from my ZMFs because it's all about air and separation, especially in bass detail.

I picked those specs for a complement to my VC, which is sort of what I got. I'd say more of a contrast, because to me, the VC's core is that beautiful, enveloping nature to the sound. The comparison debate between XTC-C and VC isn't really 1:1 given the price difference, and I think they're inherently tuned for different listening experiences. Comparison to the Eikon is more relevant, so it depends on which sound sig you'd rather. To my ears, the Eiks are a tad more toward neutral, less clarity/separation, but because of that they have a more unified, dare I say harmonious? sound. The sub-bass on the Eik is special. The XTC-C are more fun in a way, because I hear different things in songs when listening with them over the others, but that can also make them more distracting.

Someone upthread wondered if I'd start gravitating toward the Eik over the VC--I can't remember who it was but you were right. The VC have become a bit more of a 'specialized' listen where the Eiks are more general.

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:39 PM Post #9,474 of 9,714
Wes S, here’s an ‘outfield’ pairing that delivers the 🎼 goods ! None other than Atticus (Bocote) driven by ‘little old’ twin nine-volt battery-powered Grado RA-1 😀!
18C0E7F8-653F-4F7D-9668-7DA2440FE847.jpeg
What is present: air, detail, dynamics, excitement, soundstage AND MORE ! What is absent: background noise, compression, etch, glare, other solid-state nasties ! What fun ! 🤪

Jun 27, 2023 at 6:15 AM Post #9,475 of 9,714
Wes S, here’s an ‘outfield’ pairing that delivers the 🎼 goods ! None other than Atticus (Bocote) driven by ‘little old’ twin nine-volt battery-powered Grado RA-1 😀! What is present: air, detail, dynamics, excitement, soundstage AND MORE ! What is absent: background noise, compression, etch, glare, other solid-state nasties ! What fun ! 🤪
Yes!!!! I love all this Atticus love lately, and it will always be my all-time fav. I absolutely love the look of your pair, and that's definitely an interesting amp pairing.

Happy listening brother!

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #9,476 of 9,714
Wes S, here’s an ‘outfield’ pairing that delivers the 🎼 goods ! None other than Atticus (Bocote) driven by ‘little old’ twin nine-volt battery-powered Grado RA-1 😀! 18C0E7F8-653F-4F7D-9668-7DA2440FE847.jpeg What is present: air, detail, dynamics, excitement, soundstage AND MORE ! What is absent: background noise, compression, etch, glare, other solid-state nasties ! What fun ! 🤪

I'm a real sucker for bocote. I find this Atticus quite beautiful in grain, figure and color.

IMO the best thing about the Atticus/Eikon earcups is how wide they are--that's a lot of unobstucted wood. It gives the wood du jour a big stage to look beautiful on...

Jun 28, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #9,477 of 9,714
I'm probably going to get a phone book of recommendations but thought I'd ask anyways.

I purchased an Eikon during ZMF November 2022 and it's been my favorite ZMF that I've owned. I've previously owned two different VC's, three different Aeolus & an Atticus.

I'm wondering where I should go next. I'm curious about both Auteur models as well as Atrium as I'd like to try out another open back. Any suggestions?

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #9,478 of 9,714
I'm probably going to get a phone book of recommendations but thought I'd ask anyways.

I purchased an Eikon during ZMF November 2022 and it's been my favorite ZMF that I've owned. I've previously owned two different VC's, three different Aeolus & an Atticus.

I'm wondering where I should go next. I'm curious about both Auteur models as well as Atrium as I'd like to try out another open back. Any suggestions?
This in part depends on spending tolerance. If not a real issue, Atrium. If there is some budget sensitivity, Auteur Classic - which I feel is one of headphonedom’s great bargains.

Jun 28, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #9,479 of 9,714

If budget allows, Caldera. Certainly the most different in the lineup and to my ears the best sounding, while the OG Auteur would be the most similar. Not really that similar but if you're a fan of biocellulose drivers, the Atrium is certainly worth looking at too. It's the most natural, "just right" and analogue sounding headphone I've heard.

Jun 29, 2023 at 6:01 AM Post #9,480 of 9,714
It's been a while since I posted a pic of my Babies, and they still look as good as they sound. This pair is a bit older and is actually from the very first limited run ever for the Atticus and still looks as good as ever. Got to love a little Cocobolo and I think it's a great match for the Atticus. The harder wood helps with the speed, impact and detail, and just makes the "most fun" ZMF even more fun.

20230402_072837.jpg

If you are looking to get a pair of Atticus, I highly suggest finding one in a harder wood. :grin:

Long live the Atticus!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back