ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jun 29, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #9,481 of 9,711
It's been a while since I posted a pic of my Babies, and they still look as good as they sound. This pair is a bit older and is actually from the very first limited run ever for the Atticus and still looks as good as ever. Got to love a little Cocobolo and I think it's a great match for the Atticus. The harder wood helps with the speed, impact and detail, and just makes the "most fun" ZMF even more fun.

20230402_072837.jpg

If you are looking to get a pair of Atticus, I highly suggest finding one in a harder wood. :grin:

Long live the Atticus!
… music to my ears. It’s not a Wes S post without “long live” ! 👍 😂

Jun 29, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #9,482 of 9,711
It's been a while since I posted a pic of my Babies, and they still look as good as they sound. This pair is a bit older and is actually from the very first limited run ever for the Atticus and still looks as good as ever. Got to love a little Cocobolo and I think it's a great match for the Atticus. The harder wood helps with the speed, impact and detail, and just makes the "most fun" ZMF even more fun.

If you are looking to get a pair of Atticus, I highly suggest finding one in a harder wood. :grin:

Long live the Atticus!
My offer still stands @Wes S, dibs on these if you ever lose your mind and decide to sell! It's my favorite example of Cocobolo grain on any ZMF I've seen!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #9,483 of 9,711
I'm probably going to get a phone book of recommendations but thought I'd ask anyways.

I purchased an Eikon during ZMF November 2022 and it's been my favorite ZMF that I've owned. I've previously owned two different VC's, three different Aeolus & an Atticus.

I'm wondering where I should go next. I'm curious about both Auteur models as well as Atrium as I'd like to try out another open back. Any suggestions?
Probably the Caldera. I owned & loved the Eikon. Its dynamics were epic; bass was perhaps the best I've ever heard from a dynamic driver, including real sub-bass (it reminded me of another biocellulose driver hp w/great bass, the E-Mu Teak--but was even better); mids were spacious and real-sounding; and soundstaging truly excellent for a closed back.

The Caldera takes those same virtues even higher, plus it's a planar, so there's that wonderful pressurized/heavy feeling to the bass as only planars can do. And the soundstaging is really bonkers (the ADS is totally for real), the best of any planar I've heard, and most dynamic drivers, for that matter.

The only gut-check with the Caldera is amp power. It doesn't demand an uber-powerful amp, but like every other planar, it does its absolute best when powered by an amp with real power & headroom. I checked your amps and the SS ones should be up to it...

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #9,484 of 9,711
Sounds like Caldera is the unanimous winner. I'd be selling my Final D8000 Pro to fund them and I'd probably wait to buy them in person at CanJam SoCal so I can get a limited wood.

Jun 29, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #9,485 of 9,711

20230402_072837.jpg

Long live the Atticus!
Insanely beautiful cocobolo earcups!

Jun 29, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #9,486 of 9,711

20230402_072837.jpg

Long live the Atticus!
The Atticus in Blackwood is an absolute blast. Very holographic staging with a punchy direct resolving sound that is addicting.
No wood reverbs needed for this headphone as the driver already brings a touch of decay itself. That is also true for the Aeolus.
PXL_20230629_173221373.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #9,487 of 9,711
Finally had a chance to try the Caldera Suede pads on the Atticus and Eikon.
Atticus:
As far as traditionaI pads go, I prefer Ori Suede to Ori Lamb, Ori Lamb is a bit dark sounding for me. Having the option is nice, however.

Where the Ori Suede brings the Atty closer to neutral, the Caldera Suede pushes it further..to the point where you gain a ton of space and sense of detail is great. You do lose a lot of bass though, it sounds more "conventional headphone bass" or rolled off compared to the other pads. Atty w/Caldera Suede would be GREAT for gaming, again..sense of space and detail/imaging is awesome. Personally, the loss of bass is a deal breaker.
I put the Ori Suedes back on and the bass came right back and soundstage closed-in a bit, but everything just sounds right. Atty/Ori Suede is such a winning combo.

Eikon:
I currently have both Eikon Lamb and Eikon Suede pads, could go with either one since they sound so similar..I guess the Eikon Suede has a tiny bit less bass impact? The sound change from material difference is far less apparent than on Atty.

Anyway, the Caldera Suedes felt much more at home on the Eikon. The sound changes are not as drastic as on Atty.

The bass and treble are both tamed just a bit, but not to any extreme. It just makes everything in the mids a bit more obvious, very nicely balanced! I guess you can call them the "mids pad".

Eikon/Caldera Suede reminds me a lot of the Ether C Flow I tried a few years back: Balanced, pleasant, not left wanting for detail.

Also, the comfort is so much better than ANY other pad/headphone combo I can think of, they breathe so well.

Could listen to Eikon for hours and hours with these Caldera Suede pads. They are my new favorite pad for Eikon. I recommend anyone with an Eikon to get a set of these pads.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #9,488 of 9,711
I used to prefer the Suedes but perhaps it could be argued the whole point of owning the Atticus among a collection of headphones (maybe a few better at being neutral) is to have that full on blown out euphonic sound and definitely the leather Ori pads really allow for that - particularly in combo with the right amp - in my case I definitely recommend Euforia + 5998s and your driver to taste (I prefer Sylvania 6sn7w).

Jul 12, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #9,489 of 9,711
So I know a couple weeks ago I posted about how I put the Ori suede pads on my Atticus and loved it even more, but a couple days ago I put the Ori lambskin pads back on and have been absolutely loving them. I was just listening to the album "2012 - 2017" by Against All Logic, and the mid-bass is so addictive. It's great to be able to change between these two pads depending on my mood and have two amazing flavors to choose from.

Side note, would someone who uses Qobuz mind listening to Rave On U by Against All Logic to see if only loads up until the 5:40 mark? I can't get it to play beyond that point, and I also can't download the song to my offline library.

Jul 17, 2023 at 12:33 AM Post #9,490 of 9,711
When I listen via ZMF Atticus (bocote) driven by Woo Audio WA3 (OTL, tubes: Chatham JAN 5998, pair Western Electric 396A),
D0602F64-3F6D-4C07-90D5-E264F166AEE2.jpeg
the following album title comes to mind.
BE2F58EA-7685-4542-A89D-A4ACA26BB82C.jpeg
[Contemporary: October, 1957] Curtis Counce (1926-1963) was a jazz double bassist - own group and in demand for L.A. session work.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #9,491 of 9,711
I'm curious, what woods harder than the current camphor stock wood has the Atticus been released in? Blackwood, bocote, ziricote, cocobolo, marblewood, anything else? Hoping Atticus will see another release in a different wood at some point, or hopefully there will be some available as b-stock for ZMF November. I'd like to see if I'd prefer a harder wood with a bit less cup reverb that's a little snappier

Aug 6, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #9,492 of 9,711
Cocobolo & Mahogany lead to sonic revelry…
30D915F2-84AE-4213-B4DB-C2511D20023C.jpeg

[a splendidly balanced, clear, impactful, open invitation to 🎼🙂🎶 … ZMF Eikon / Grado RA-1 (9V batteries) … with help from Norne Audio Vykari]

Aug 7, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #9,493 of 9,711
So, it has been weeks since I have listened with my Atticus, and I decided this morning it was time to have a listen. I have made a few tweaks to the power and digital side of things in my system since last listening with my babies and holy crap do they sound killer and better than ever. Every time I come back to this headphone it's like coming home, as it has such a pleasing sound, and fits my preferences to perfection. There is weight, impact, and euphonic texture for days, with just enough detail/bite to keep me highly engaged. The holographic staging I get with my Cayin HA300mk2 is flat out stunning, and it's such a fun and capable sound that I can listen to loud and proud for hours. The notes have some serious weight, and acoustic guitar sounds absolutely sublime. The plucking of the strings can be felt, and is such a satisfyingly realistic sound.

20230807_055552.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #9,494 of 9,711
Day two of coming back to the Atticus, and this headphone just kicks some serious ass! The sound is huge, thick and weighty, with slam and impact you can feel, and then the stage is surprisingly quite huge and open and holographic as well. The sound is smooth and heavy, yet still has enough bite to sound very exciting and smooth at the same time, and I can really crank the volume. I have a feeling the magic I am hearing has a lot to do with my amp, and this paring is very very special no doubt. The Atticus very much sound like a TOTL closed back in my system and honestly I could live with this headphone as my one and only, as it is that good. I have had quite a few different amps over the years, and the HA300mk2 is by far the best pairing. 300B's and ZMF mids go together like PB&J. :grin:

Listening right now with my Atticus, and I am having thoughts of selling my VC's. . .

Long live the Atticus!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #9,495 of 9,711
Day two of coming back to the Atticus, and this headphone just kicks some serious ass! The sound is huge, thick and weighty, with slam and impact you can feel, and then the stage is surprisingly quite huge and open and holographic as well. The sound is smooth and heavy, yet still has enough bite to sound very exciting and smooth at the same time, and I can really crank the volume. I have a feeling the magic I am hearing has a lot to do with my amp, and this paring is very very special no doubt. The Atticus very much sound like a TOTL closed back in my system and honestly I could live with this headphone as my one and only, as it is that good. I have had quite a few different amps over the years, and the HA300mk2 is by far the best pairing. 300B's and ZMF mids go together like PB&J. :grin:

Listening right now with my Atticus, and I am having thoughts of selling my VC's. . .

Long live the Atticus!
I chose the Atticus over the VC after a lot of hesitation. I kept telling myself the VC is the flagship, its better. But I'd listen, and nope, the Atticus would hold my attention more. Sure the VC resolves more and has an edge in technicalities, but that Atticus sound just can't be denied. I've never looked back after selling the VC. Plus it helped fund some serious amp upgrades (Stratus) :) The Atticus and Stratus are insane together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back