ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Sep 28, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #9,136 of 9,711
Oct 13, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #9,137 of 9,711
I tried using the search function through this to see if anyone talked about using the BE2 pads with their Eikons but didn't turn anything up, has anyone given it a shot? I've been trying out a pair of Eikons with the lambskin solid Eikon, Auteur, and BE2 pads. These are my thoughts currently:

w/ Eikon pads: more sub-bass presence as well as mid-bass. Not quite sibilance issues but it's close, certainly some uncomfortable moments - like Porter Robinson's song Divinity has a moment at 3:31-3:33 that is right on the edge of painful here. Drums feel brighter and sharper. In general with these pads on vs the others I need to turn the volume down to feel like I'm listening at the same level. Definitely the fullest sound.

w/ Auteur pads: feels like drums are tamed a bit but bass is also reduced. Same note about the Porter Robinson song still applies here but perhaps slightly more tamed. These feel like they're heading toward studio neutrality, ultimately not a fan of these.

w/ BE2 pads: Perhaps taming of the brightness by reducing detail retrieval? This feels veiled in a way but bass can still punch through based on the song mix but it's no longer notable I would say just present, with Rap it's definitely not a good fit. They also feel like they allow more air despite being solid? I'm not sure what to think of these ones, I quite like what they do to Brand New in particular they just sound so airy and ethereal with these pads on particularly their Science Fiction and Deja Entendu albums.

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #9,139 of 9,711
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #9,140 of 9,711
So I think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on the Atticus. I just have a couple questions:

1. The magnesium chassis is lighter but is painted so there's risk of paint coming off? How much lighter is it? Is there a specific part that's prone to chipping?
2. There are two pad choices: suede and leather. What are the sonic differences between them? If I choose suede, could I eventually get the leather pads at some point?
3. I'm a bit confused by the naming of their pads. When you go to the "Pads" page on their website, there are Ori pads, Eikon pads, which ones are the ones that come with the Atticus?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #9,141 of 9,711
I have both Suede and Leather pads for my Eikon and I find myself using the Leather pads more often - there is a minute difference, seems to me like the Leather has a bit more 'oomph' to it - although those suede pads sure are comfy.
Mine don't have the mag chassis so I can't speak to that - they definitely have some weight to them, but they are also built really comfortably - I haven't even really felt the need to get the new cushier crescent headband mine is original leather headband.
On Pads each name (Eikon, Ori, etc.) is basically the family name - for Atticus, if you wanted a Leather and Suede option you would get the Ori Leather and the Ori Suede. AFAIK pretty much any ZMF pad will fit any ZMF headphone, and there are groups of people who do lots of pad swapping, but the general consensus seems to be the the stock recommendations are usually the best. Zach and co. seem to really know what they are doing.
I bought my Eikon's blind - had no way to test any high end headphones where I live and I couldn't be happier with what I got. I predict you will be very happy with your purchase - the hardest part is waiting for them to be built, lol.

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #9,142 of 9,711
Ori lambskin are the default pads. I use the suede ones. Having tried all the suede ones on the Atticus I don't like any but the Ori at all. Bass quantity is slightly reduced with the suede, and suede pads in general are more neutral than leather ones. You can buy whatever pads anytime, and they're also often for sale in the classifieds.

I think the weight savings is 33g. The Camphor are pretty light. I have Camphor Eikons with the regular headband and it's very comfortable. I have magnesium on all my heavier ZMFs. If you're always careful with them and don't bang the metal parts into anything they probably won't chip. Sometimes they do where the gimbals attach to the cups.

Personally I'd advise stock pads and chassis, and Ori or Eikon suede if you get a second pad.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #9,143 of 9,711
FWIW, I have a blackwood Aeolus with a magnesium chassis. I don't listen to any one headphone all that often; maybe people who handle their's every day have a different experience. But I see no defects in the paint and am frankly not sure what I'd have to do to chip it.

If you take reasonable care of the Atticus (and who wouldn't?) paint chipping shouldn't be a problem IMHO.

Oct 28, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #9,144 of 9,711
I have gone back and forth between Lambskin and Suede Ori pads on the Atticus many times and highly recommend the suede. Lambskin pads are a more fun listen but the overall sound is a bit dark.

With the Suede pads it becomes my favorite closed hp ever (I prefer it over Eikon). You get a very neutral headphone with good speed, wide stage, deep bass extension and nothing missing in the mids/highs.

Oct 28, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #9,145 of 9,711
I prefer the suede Ori pads on the Atticus as well though the lambskin Ori pads are nice also. Either are really great on the Atticus.

I actually prefer the suede Eikon pads on the Eikon. The suede pads tame a little of the peakinesss in the highs that makes it a more pleasant overall listen to my ears. Sub bass is reduced slightly with the suede pads but bass is still quite strong.

Oct 28, 2022 at 9:58 PM Post #9,146 of 9,711
My one concern with suede pads is that the suede pads on my NightOwl degraded after a couple years (as did the suede on the headband), whereas the faux-leather pads are still intact after all this time. That's one reason I probably won't get the suede headband either (on the NightOwl it was at the point where after every time I used them, I'd wind up with black particles in my hair because it would disintegrate further with each use).

As for the sound, on the NightOwl the suede had a more neutral sound, while the faux-leather was more V-shaped (neither one fundamentally changed the overall warm sound of the NightOwl though), so it might be nice to have the option of both.

(I should note that I'm very treble sensitive and I prefer a warm/lush/dark sound!)

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #9,147 of 9,711
I actually prefer the suede Eikon pads on the Eikon. The suede pads tame a little of the peakinesss in the highs that makes it a more pleasant overall listen to my ears. Sub bass is reduced slightly with the suede pads but bass is still quite strong.
It’s funny- I originally thought the Atticus would be my first ZMF, but for a number of reasons I bought the Auteur (and have loved it ever since), and ultimately I bought the Eikon as my first closed-back ZMF. I was honestly a bit nervous that its more neutral voicing might end up lacking warmth or an organic midrange, but I never should have worried. While the Eikon tonality is very balanced top to bottom, the midrange is arguably its greatest strength.

I originally started out with the Eikon Lamb pads on my pair, but opted to switch to Eikon Suede and have not looked back. I added a suede Co-Pilot pad (I’ve lost a lot of hair), and now it both sounds and feels comfortable- every record is a joy to listen to, and while the Eikon lacks the huge space the VC can provide despite being a closed back, the intimate and organic sound is still phenomenal and enjoyable. The VC is also more detailed (not a surprise), but losing that ounce of detail is helpful with less high-fidelity recordings.

I may have wanted an Atticus initially, but the Eikon is a keeper. And boy, with all that suede wrapped around your head… ahhhh!

Oct 29, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #9,148 of 9,711
My one concern with suede pads is that the suede pads on my NightOwl degraded after a couple years (as did the suede on the headband), whereas the faux-leather pads are still intact after all this time. That's one reason I probably won't get the suede headband either (on the NightOwl it was at the point where after every time I used them, I'd wind up with black particles in my hair because it would disintegrate further with each use).

As for the sound, on the NightOwl the suede had a more neutral sound, while the faux-leather was more V-shaped (neither one fundamentally changed the overall warm sound of the NightOwl though), so it might be nice to have the option of both.

(I should note that I'm very treble sensitive and I prefer a warm/lush/dark sound!)
I wouldn't let that dissuade (or should I say dissuede?) you. I have several ZMFs and all are all suede. Some are over 3 years and none have degraded. Being in Hawaii, the environment here is murder on all kinds of materials (humidity and salt air in an area that gets double the rain of the Amazon). Whatever suede they're using is very durable.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #9,149 of 9,711
So. . . I finally tried my Atticus on my new Cayin HA300mk2 and my suspicion was right, the Atticus sounds insanely good with some 300B tubes. :grin: I have never heard this headphone sound so good, and so right. Nothing is lacking and all it's character is in full effect and accentuated to perfection. There is speed, impact, and detail all while being warm and fatigue free. The sound is very tight and textured, and there is serious weight to the notes, followed by some of the most euphonic sounding mids and lifelike vocals I have ever heard. The staging is also incredible and they sound very open and have this crazy concert hall effect going on. The Cayin HA300mk2 and the Atticus have a very special synergy that is breathtaking to hear, and the amp and headphones really do pair together so well it's nuts. My Atticus have never let me down and have continued to scale everytime I upgrade my amp, and with the Cayin I truly feel I am hearing them at their best and I just can't get enough. I absolutely love this headphone, and will never stop using it. Long live the Atticus!

20221022_091921.jpg

P.S. I use the stock lambskin leather Ori pads and wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Listening! :smile:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #9,150 of 9,711
The Atticus reminds me of the first album of many of the greatest bands, a little raw, but timeless in youthful inspiration.

Between the suede and leather pads, it certainly comes down to pairings and to frequency response preferences…

But I enjoy the option of having both. With some tube combinations the leather pads are better - as it can ensure the bass is how I like it, or I can choose the suede to keep the treble how I like it

If you have an amp that’s competent in the bass - the suedes are definitely a great option and I’ve tended to prefer it until recently. If you love having a supremely dynamic and impactful bass, then of course sticking with the leathers is always understandable. I focused on the Suedes as a solution for my solid state amp, but having sold that in favor of a good tube amp, the leathers are currently on my Atticus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back