ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 29, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #9,151 of 9,741
Having owned all the ZMFs and soon to have the Caldera on hand (which I’ve heard already), when I go back to my first ZMF, the Atticus, I’m always amazed how well they hold up to the rest of the lineup, all of which cost more. Not as detailed as the others, which I don’t always care about, but the soundstage is very wide for a closed back and they do indeed scale incredibly well. I hope they always keep making them!

Oct 29, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #9,152 of 9,741
Love the LTD Bocote Atticus <— Norne Audio Vygarde <— Woo Audio WA2 !!
6461D74B-DDB9-4638-B568-73DCCD32F202.jpeg

Nov 3, 2022 at 10:48 PM Post #9,153 of 9,741
And when the WA2 is ‘off duty’ (or AWOOL 😖), it is time to Flux around with FA-22!!
821D5AD8-0099-4EDB-88D6-8427B29DD562.jpeg
[My favourite SS h/p/a…and a wonderful match to ZMFs. @Wes S, remember when you were looking into Flux Lab Acoustics? Before TFK G73-R etc…]

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2022 at 6:42 AM Post #9,154 of 9,741
And when the WA2 is ‘off duty’ (or AWOOL 😖), it is time to Flux around with FA-22!!821D5AD8-0099-4EDB-88D6-8427B29DD562.jpeg [My favourite SS h/p/a…and a wonderful match to ZMFs. @Wes S, remember when you were looking into Flux Lab Acoustics? Before TFK G73-R etc…]
I sure do! I almost pulled the trigger and still would love to hear one of those amps some day.

Nov 5, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #9,155 of 9,741
Yesterday, I started the day rocking my VC's off my new Cayin HA300mk2 and the sound is definitely endgame and breathtaking with incredible synergy. Then, immediately after that session, I swapped to my Atticus and they sounded just as good but slightly different and unique. In fact, on some tracks the Atticus actually came out ahead of the VC's. :astonished: With my past amps, the Atticus was always a bit behind in performance to my VC's lacking a bit in resolution and speed, especially if I listen to the VC's right before the Atty's. However, the synergy with the HA300mk2 is so freaking good it elevates the Atty's to levels I did not know were possible and I can now listen to them right after a session with my VC's and just can't get enough of either headphone. Synergy is everything in this hobby, and the Cayin HA300mk2 and Atticus (as well as the VC) are an extremely magical pairing indeed. :grin:

Of note, I am not using the stock tubes and the magical synergy does depend on that. The Elrog ER300B's are where it's at. :wink:

Back to musical bliss. . .

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #9,156 of 9,741
I have the VC myself, are the Atticus that much more lush in sound? As I have gotten more into headphones, I have found myself leaning more to the fun/warm sound, rather than sharp and accurate...I am intrigued by talk about a Caldera closed, as my other pair of phones are LCD-4 which I love..if I could get that sound in a closed back with the ZMF sound...

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #9,157 of 9,741
I have the VC myself, are the Atticus that much more lush in sound? As I have gotten more into headphones, I have found myself leaning more to the fun/warm sound, rather than sharp and accurate...I am intrigued by talk about a Caldera closed, as my other pair of phones are LCD-4 which I love..if I could get that sound in a closed back with the ZMF sound...
The VCs to my ears are actually fairly warm, depending on what pads you use. But the Atticus is indeed warmer. The treble in comparison is quite muted on the Atticus, making the headphone sound bassier. I do think the bass is more present on the VC, but it's tighter and there's treble to balance it out. And I guess the Atticus is "lusher," but I'm betting that if I actually did a back and forth the difference wouldn't be that great.

The VC is like a technically capable warm/fun 'phone. The Atticus is like a relaxed, sweatpants and hoodie Sunday afternoon warm/fun. To my ears, anyway.

Nov 9, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #9,158 of 9,741
The VCs to my ears are actually fairly warm, depending on what pads you use. But the Atticus is indeed warmer. The treble in comparison is quite muted on the Atticus, making the headphone sound bassier. I do think the bass is more present on the VC, but it's tighter and there's treble to balance it out. And I guess the Atticus is "lusher," but I'm betting that if I actually did a back and forth the difference wouldn't be that great.

The VC is like a technically capable warm/fun 'phone. The Atticus is like a relaxed, sweatpants and hoodie Sunday afternoon warm/fun. To my ears, anyway.
Great description!

Nov 9, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #9,159 of 9,741

From your description the Atticus sounds a bit like the (I believe it was the Nighthawk), their closed back..had that, and that was 'dark' to me. The top end was so muted..also had a pair of Cascades, but to me sounded like they were playing through a sponge. That is one reason I like the LCD-4, they have that lush sound, but still tight control of the bass, it is not all 'mush' to me..Guess I am looking for the unicorn of warm with good punch/bass, but not muted mids or highs (but not simbilent as I am quite sensative to that). Had a pear of Fostex 900 IIs, and the top end just fried my ears...

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #9,160 of 9,741
* The Atticus does have warmth in the bass / midbass. It also has, for me, nicely extended treble. It is there, just not calling undue attention to itself: no “hey! check out my kHz!”
* I will say that the Atticus, again for me, thrives on a genuine copper / silver interwoven (not plated) headphone cable. I use Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid and Norne Audio Vygarde.

Nov 9, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #9,161 of 9,741
From your description the Atticus sounds a bit like the (I believe it was the Nighthawk), their closed back..had that, and that was 'dark' to me. The top end was so muted..also had a pair of Cascades, but to me sounded like they were playing through a sponge. That is one reason I like the LCD-4, they have that lush sound, but still tight control of the bass, it is not all 'mush' to me..Guess I am looking for the unicorn of warm with good punch/bass, but not muted mids or highs (but not simbilent as I am quite sensative to that). Had a pear of Fostex 900 IIs, and the top end just fried my ears...
I think then the VC would be the best bet. I’ve often thought of them as the closed back LCD-4. They both have dips in the treble but still with good extension at the very top of the frequency range. Both VERY technically capable headphones.

Another interesting option for a closed back, one that I’ve only briefly heard, is the DCA Stealth. It’s less warm then VC, but the treble had this nice damped quality that clear but not piercing. But I wouldn’t call it a warm headphone.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #9,162 of 9,741

I concur.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #9,163 of 9,741
* The Atticus does have warmth in the bass / midbass. It also has, for me, nicely extended treble. It is there, just not calling undue attention to itself: no “hey! check out my kHz!”
* I will say that the Atticus, again for me, thrives on a genuine copper / silver interwoven (not plated) headphone cable. I use Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid and Norne Audio Vygarde.
I concur.

Nov 9, 2022 at 8:49 PM Post #9,165 of 9,741
@Wes S, that’s a muted reply from you. Aren’t you more the WOWZA! or HECK YEAH! type?….🤔🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back