ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Aug 16, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #9,106 of 9,741
Honestly can't go wrong with either. The suede is more cushy, but the crescent band works so well that it's not critical to have that extra padding. However, with suede crescent band and straps even my 600+ gram Verite Open is amazingly comfortable. The stock Atticus is significantly lighter than those.
Good insight on the weight actually. I have leather crescent with leather band on my Eikon and suede crescent with suede band on my VC. Suede is more comfortable, just a little more padding than the leather, but the leather is better looking in my view. Check out the ZMF weight project thread and see where yours lands. If on the light side, I would go leather, if heavier suede, but thats me.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #9,107 of 9,741
Good insight on the weight actually. I have leather crescent with leather band on my Eikon and suede crescent with suede on my VC. Suede is more comfortable, just a little more padding than the leather, but the leather is better looking in my view. Check out the ZMF weight project thread and see where yours lands. If on the light side, I would go leather, if heavier suede, but thats me.
Keep in mind that you can always add a Co-Pilot (or Pilot) Pad for not that much added money. I added Co-Pilot Pads on both my Auteur (leather) and Eikon (suede) and it’s SUPER comfy!

Aug 18, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #9,108 of 9,741
Of my ZMFs (currently all but Aeolus & Auteur Classic) I probably spend the least amount of time with the Eikons. However, this week I spent some time with Beyonce's newest album, which is throwback to early 90s club music. Of all the ZMFs, the Eikon was the best fit. Amazing bass as usual, but also very clear vocals. The Atticus are a good fit with the album too, but the more neutral Eikon for such a bass heavy album was a better match.

When I do spend time with the Eikon I'm always surprised how well it competes in terms of details and soundstage width with the big boys like the Verites and Atrium. They've been my go to for acoustic music and country, so really pleasantly surprised they'll probably become my go to for more bass heavy dance music, which feels like almost the opposite type of music. While I was sad to see it go from the lineup, I'm happy for others that they aren't too hard to find used and think they make a great entry into the ZMF sound, especially for those wanting a more neutral closed back that isn't just a bass canon. Long live the Eikon!

Aug 19, 2022 at 12:05 AM Post #9,109 of 9,741
it competes in terms of details and soundstage width with the big boys like the Verites and Atrium. They've been my go to for acoustic music and country, so really pleasantly surprised they'll probably become my go to for more bass heavy dance music, which feels like almost the opposite type of music... Long live the Eikon!
I completely agree- very well put. I spend more time with the Eikon than with my other headphones for many of the same reasons!

Aug 20, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #9,112 of 9,741
On the Atticus, what's the difference in sound between lambskin Ori pads and lambskin Eikon pads?
I found the Eikon pads to lower the midbass emphasis a little, and reduce the soundstage a little. Ori pads are little larger and slightly more comfortable for me. Might be overusing "a little" but really the effects weren't too great to my hears (and head).

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #9,113 of 9,741
The Eikon has been discontinued right? But it was less warm than the Atticus? The Atticus is definitely my choice, but I was just wondering since I didn’t see the Eikon on their website.

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #9,114 of 9,741
The Eikon has been discontinued right? But it was less warm than the Atticus? The Atticus is definitely my choice, but I was just wondering since I didn’t see the Eikon on their website.
The Eikon has been discontinued. It was less warm than the Atticus, though there were many other differences besides that.

Eikon is a terrific headphone w/excellent dynamics, neutral/powerful bass & sub-bass, big midrange, and exceptional soundstaging for a closed back. It had real "jump factor." Hope you get a chance to hear one.

Aug 29, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #9,115 of 9,741
The Eikon has been discontinued. It was less warm than the Atticus, though there were many other differences besides that.

Eikon is a terrific headphone w/excellent dynamics, neutral/powerful bass & sub-bass, big midrange, and exceptional soundstaging for a closed back. It had real "jump factor." Hope you get a chance to hear one.
BTW, there is a very reasonably-priced Eikon in the classifieds right now. I have no connection with the seller or know anything about that pair, but it may be a real steal if they are in good condition.

Sep 3, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #9,116 of 9,741
I see there is a limited run of Bocote Eikons, actually at a lower price than they used to be at ZMF now. So if someone was still wanting one after they got discontinued now is the time!

Sep 3, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #9,117 of 9,741
I see there is a limited run of Bocote Eikons, actually at a lower price than they used to be at ZMF now. So if someone was still wanting one after they got discontinued now is the time!
If you have an OTL tube amp and like music with some dynamics and deep bass while keeping good balance across the frequency range and impressive midrange (a ZMF staple)… Zach is providing you a great opportunity here. 😁

My (Bocote) Eikons have exceeded my wildest expectations. Highest recommendation!

Sep 4, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #9,118 of 9,741
Honoring Taylor Hawkins after watching the Foo’s tribute concert to him by playing exclusively Foo Fighters tonight with the Eikons. Loud, like Taylor would want it.

Rest In Peace, Taylor- gone but never to be forgotten.

4F0F5D93-1738-4ABF-899F-298F7CF54820.jpeg
579D0A22-6AA7-40C2-A977-2F4EA0C8A85C.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #9,119 of 9,741
I am liking the pairing of elekit tu8600 with rca clear tops + atticus. Really nice yin/yang thing going with a brighter tube amp and a darker headphone. Elekit's detail extraction showing well through atticus.

Sep 18, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #9,120 of 9,741
When an ‘eikonic’ headphone woos via transformer-less seduction…
299642D5-1921-4C3E-8D7F-94EEC1C477A0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back