ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Aug 11, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #9,091 of 9,748
Yeah. I definitely hear sub bass quite well, and it’s definitely great. I’ve been on a rock/metal binge for quite some time, and the midbass for drums is, atleast for me, greatly lacking compared to the x00
If you're coming from one of the Fostex headphones even the Atticus might not impress. The Fostex models have very elevated bass, whereas the Atticus is elevated but in a more balanced way, not totally overpowering the rest of the frequency range. I love rock/metal on the Atticus for it's slam, but have to warn it's not nearly as impactful as the Fostex. If bass is your first priority you might be disappointed. That being said, i think the Atticus is a much more refined and capable headphone overall, it's just lacking in absolute bass output vs the Fostex.

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #9,092 of 9,748
It’s funny- I originally thought I would buy the Atticus, but now my Eikon is the “desert island headphone” I adore, even ahead of the Stellia and Auteur (!).

While the mid bass isn’t emphasized with the Eikon, its deep bass can hit hard, and I think that’s what I enjoy with certain genres, rather than the mid bass. Perhaps that is because great deep bass is harder to reproduce with speakers in a room, or because of my genres preferences- not sure.

Granted, amplification (and to some degree, cabling- in my view, anyway) can have a big impact here. I use a WA2 OTL tube amp, which meshes exceptionally well with ZMFs… and perhaps my current tube choices work especially well with the Eikon. But hey, if I’m musically satisfied, who cares? 😁
What I really loved about the Eikon is it was a great generalist headphone for me. It sounds good with any genre I throw at it, whereas the Atticus seems to thrive on rock/metal mostly. I agonized over the decision as to which to sell. But since 90% of my listening is rock/metal, it just seemed right to go with the Atty since it does so well with those genres. I still feel compelled to pick another Eikon up, but i'm waiting to see what Zach does with either an updated Eikon, or Atrium closed. The Atrium is a great middle ground between the mid humped Atticus and the more even Eikon, tuning-wise. If I could have it's exact sound signature in a closed form, I'd be done.

Nice amp! I've been wanting to try a Woo for awhile. I've heard the WA3 and WA6 at shows but I would love to own one to better know it's nuances. They did sound great.

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:16 PM Post #9,093 of 9,748
The Atrium is a great middle ground between the mid humped Atticus and the more even Eikon, tuning-wise. If I could have it's exact sound signature in a closed form, I'd be done.

Nice amp! I've been wanting to try a Woo for awhile. I've heard the WA3 and WA6 at shows but I would love to own one to better know it's nuances. They did sound great.
Excellent point re: ZMF's next models in closed form. An evolved Eikon or Atrium closed would indeed be interesting... though I am so happy with the Eikon as-is that I can't see ever selling it, and I've had my fair share of upgrade-itis over the years.

Re: Woo amps- if you ever find yourself with $ 800-900 to spend on an amp, a pre-owned WA2 could be an excellent choice depending on your headphone collection. It's less versatile than the WA3 or WA6/WA6SE from everything I've read, but downright magical with high-impedance headphones such as the ZMFs (and apparently HD800s).

You apparently lose the flexibility of the other Woo amps, but gain an x-factor (I call it magic :o2smile:) that is specific to the WA2...

Aug 11, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #9,094 of 9,748
Excellent point re: ZMF's next models in closed form. An evolved Eikon or Atrium closed would indeed be interesting... though I am so happy with the Eikon as-is that I can't see ever selling it, and I've had my fair share of upgrade-itis over the years.

Re: Woo amps- if you ever find yourself with $ 800-900 to spend on an amp, a pre-owned WA2 could be an excellent choice depending on your headphone collection. It's less versatile than the WA3 or WA6/WA6SE from everything I've read, but downright magical with high-impedance headphones such as the ZMFs (and apparently HD800s).

You apparently lose the flexibility of the other Woo amps, but gain an x-factor (I call it magic :o2smile:) that is specific to the WA2...
Since I've become obsessed with ZMF I think a WA2 would be a killer option...assuming Zach sticks with 300ohm dynamics! Just my luck I'd buy one and Zach would announce a new lineup of low Z planars haha

Aug 11, 2022 at 7:15 PM Post #9,095 of 9,748
It’s funny- I originally thought I would buy the Atticus, but now my Eikon is the “desert island headphone” I adore, even ahead of the Stellia and Auteur (!).

While the mid bass isn’t emphasized with the Eikon, its deep bass can hit hard, and I think that’s what I enjoy with certain genres, rather than the mid bass. Perhaps that is because great deep bass is harder to reproduce with speakers in a room, or because of my genres preferences- not sure.

Granted, amplification (and to some degree, cabling- in my view, anyway) can have a big impact here. I use a WA2 OTL tube amp, which meshes exceptionally well with ZMFs… and perhaps my current tube choices work especially well with the Eikon. But hey, if I’m musically satisfied, who cares? 😁
Besides the impactful, neutral bass that ends in serious sub-bass, there are two other things I liked a lot about my padauk Eikon:
  • Soundstaging: Large, spacious, enveloping--the best I've ever heard from a closed back
  • Dynamics: The Eikon is capable of pretty extreme dynamic swings...real jump factor there
I always referred to it as a "thrill ride headphone," because that's what it felt like listening to it.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #9,096 of 9,748
Since I've become obsessed with ZMF I think a WA2 would be a killer option...assuming Zach sticks with 300ohm dynamics!
Annie Lennox / Eurythmics: ‘sweet dreams are made of these…”
F8A554D1-3B35-40FD-BB98-A192F04AE677.jpeg

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #9,097 of 9,748
Very interested in the Atticus since I prefer warmer headphones and have been looking for a replacement for my NightOwl.

One important question: are these true "over ear" or are they more like an "on ear". I'm realizing I can't stand on-ears and find them very uncomfortable.

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:40 PM Post #9,099 of 9,748
Very interested in the Atticus since I prefer warmer headphones and have been looking for a replacement for my NightOwl.

One important question: are these true "over ear" or are they more like an "on ear". I'm realizing I can't stand on-ears and find them very uncomfortable.
Unless you have Colossus of Rhodes ears, they are over ears!

Aug 15, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #9,100 of 9,748
My ears are big, but Focals fit perfectly for me. Sennheisers/DCA fit a little better, but as long as they have at least as much ear space as a Focal, it should be fine.

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #9,101 of 9,748

These are large earcups--definitely over the ear. Large, relatively heavy, but comfortable beyond belief.

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #9,102 of 9,748
Thanks! Sounds promising.

What do you guys think of the suede headband vs. leather? I've never ordered headphones that were customizable, so I want to make sure I select the right options.

Aug 16, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #9,103 of 9,748

What do you guys think of the suede headband vs. leather? I've never ordered headphones that were customizable, so I want to make sure I select the right options.
I've never actually had a ZMF headphone w/a suede headband. But I've often read the ZMF suede headband described as the best comfort you can get, short of getting a Pilot Pad (which goes on the metal headband) and ditching the underband altogether.

I've also seen occasional comments about ZMF suede underband being somewhat thicker than the leather ones. That's a good thing, unless you have giant head, in which case it may rob each earcups slider a little of the vertical adjustment range.

PS: I have a ZMF Ori with the original Pilot Pad and no underband. Very very comfortable.

Aug 16, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #9,104 of 9,748
There's a new cresent headband as well that is supposed to be more cushy than the previous models - my Eikon has the leather headband and it has always been fine for me, but it is rare that i'm wearing them for more than an hour these days. I got both the suede and leather eikon ear pads and have been rocking the suede ones lately and really digging them.
If you can swing a new set of ZMF I would 100% recommend it - I bought my Eikon's blind - I didn't really have access to anywhere to try a set beforehand but I could not be happier.

Aug 16, 2022 at 5:09 PM Post #9,105 of 9,748

Honestly can't go wrong with either. The suede is more cushy, but the crescent band works so well that it's not critical to have that extra padding. However, with suede crescent band and straps even my 600+ gram Verite Open is amazingly comfortable. The stock Atticus is significantly lighter than those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back