ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 25, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #9,076 of 9,748
I have both a stock ZMF and an OFC ZMF cable - they are both excellent (the OFC is a bit stiff) but i've been looking at getting an upgraded cable as well - i'm really not sure If I have the quality of gear or ears to discern a difference in term of audio quality, so it'll honestly be mostly for looks - I've been really looking at Cosmic Cables a lot - they have some great looking designs and don't cost a ton of money. Anyone on here used cosmic cables? I know Forza and Norne are highly regarded - norne has some really awesome design choices as well, but cost a bit more than cosmic.

Jul 25, 2022 at 3:41 PM Post #9,077 of 9,748
I have both a stock ZMF and an OFC ZMF cable - they are both excellent (the OFC is a bit stiff) but i've been looking at getting an upgraded cable as well - i'm really not sure If I have the quality of gear or ears to discern a difference in term of audio quality, so it'll honestly be mostly for looks - I've been really looking at Cosmic Cables a lot - they have some great looking designs and don't cost a ton of money. Anyone on here used cosmic cables? I know Forza and Norne are highly regarded - norne has some really awesome design choices as well, but cost a bit more than cosmic.
no experience with cosmic cables, but I love Hart Cables and Arctic Cables for affordable aftermarket cables.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #9,078 of 9,748
Regarding the headband/head strap: Looking at some reviews (Tyll's for example) it seems like the strap on that pair is either shorter or the strap lengthens over time?
My strap just follows the headband completely and I have a small hotspot on the top of my head after about an hour.
I found a near-mint condition velour band/strap which can hopefully help a bit.

Jul 26, 2022 at 9:19 AM Post #9,079 of 9,748
Regarding the headband/head strap: Looking at some reviews (Tyll's for example) it seems like the strap on that pair is either shorter or the strap lengthens over time?
My strap just follows the headband completely and I have a small hotspot on the top of my head after about an hour.
I found a near-mint condition velour band/strap which can hopefully help a bit.
I replace all of my leather straps with the padded suede strap from ZMF. They're only $15 and way more comfortable than the leather strap.

Jul 26, 2022 at 11:38 AM Post #9,080 of 9,748
I replace all of my leather straps with the padded suede strap from ZMF. They're only $15 and way more comfortable than the leather strap.
$15 ex vat, shipping and import fees. That strap alone will cost me ~ $50 as European.
Luckily I found a seller that has the velour strap/headband (including steel plate) who sold that package to me for $50. Should arrive later this week.
If I want to jump to the crescent band I probably order a few pads as well.

Jul 26, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #9,081 of 9,748
$15 ex vat, shipping and import fees. That strap alone will cost me ~ $50 as European.
Luckily I found a seller that has the velour strap/headband (including steel plate) who sold that package to me for $50. Should arrive later this week.
If I want to jump to the crescent band I probably order a few pads as well.
I added co-pilot pads to both my Auteur and Eikon and have been thrilled with the comfort! Highly recommended.

Aug 4, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #9,082 of 9,748
Got my comfort pack in today: Crescent band and suede Eikon pads (also got Auteur leather pads).
First impressions: Weight is still heavy but it is better distributed. Feeling a bit more pressure halfway the head instead of right on top.

Pad-wise I'll start with the suede Eikon pads.

Aug 7, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #9,083 of 9,748
I find myself enjoying my Atticus (Camphor, suede pads) more often than my LCD-X 2021, HE-6se (driven properly), HD6xx, HD8xx (EQed to hell), Grado SR-80e

I understand ZMF has better headphones, but there is always something special about the early creative releases, right?

Maybe some day the Verite Closed - I especially like the idea of ZMF closed back headphones because of the complete wood cups

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #9,084 of 9,748
Enjoying my Eikons this evening with the incredible Woo Audio WA2 amp, the Norne Drausk and tubes as listed in my signature… Ben Harper and The Blind Boys of Alabama sound engaging and I’m bopping my head along to the rhythm. This is how music should sound!

On second thought, the 18-year old Scotch that is accompanying the music is probably helping too… 😄

2A11707D-3123-40E6-88B6-636A23498D09.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #9,085 of 9,748
Enjoying my Eikons this evening with the incredible Woo Audio WA2 amp, the Norne Drausk and tubes as listed in my signature… Ben Harper and The Blind Boys of Alabama sound engaging and I’m bopping my head along to the rhythm. This is how music should sound!

On second thought, the 18-year old Scotch that is accompanying the music is probably helping too… 😄

2A11707D-3123-40E6-88B6-636A23498D09.jpeg
I saw the 5 Blind Boys of Alabama live on Broadway in the 1988 Broadway production of GOSPEL AT COLONUS. They sang in numbers throughout...a mind-blowing example of gospel power.

PS: the bocote wood on your Eikon is to die for, so pretty

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #9,086 of 9,748
I saw the 5 Blind Boys of Alabama live on Broadway in the 1988 Broadway production of GOSPEL AT COLONUS. They sang in numbers throughout...a mind-blowing example of gospel power.

PS: the bocote wood on your Eikon is to die for, so pretty
Wow, that must have been a wonderful experience- how cool that you got to hear that!

Thanks for the compliment on the Eikon wood! Amazingly they were originally B-stock from ZMF- that tells you how high their standards are with regards to aesthetics. ♥️

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #9,087 of 9,748
Hi all,
After... oh I don't know... a few years of waiting/hunting, I finally pulled the trigger on a used pair of Eikons in Paduak to maybe replace my TH-X00 Fostex.
Although after a few hours of listening, I'm wondering if I maybe should have gone with the Atticus for increased bass response compared to the Eikons...

Aug 11, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #9,088 of 9,748
Hi all,
After... oh I don't know... a few years of waiting/hunting, I finally pulled the trigger on a used pair of Eikons in Paduak to maybe replace my TH-X00 Fostex.
Although after a few hours of listening, I'm wondering if I maybe should have gone with the Atticus for increased bass response compared to the Eikons...
They're quite different. The Eikon is warm but not as warm as the Atticus. The Eikon has deeper subbass but less midbass. The Eikon's highs are more present and extended. The Atticus has much smoother, more rolled off highs. The Atticus is all about the mids. The Eikon is more evenly tuned. I personally prefer the Atticus for the midbass punch, but do miss my Eikon.

Aug 11, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #9,089 of 9,748
They're quite different. The Eikon is warm but not as warm as the Atticus. The Eikon has deeper subbass but less midbass. The Eikon's highs are more present and extended. The Atticus has much smoother, more rolled off highs. The Atticus is all about the mids. The Eikon is more evenly tuned. I personally prefer the Atticus for the midbass punch, but do miss my Eikon.
It’s funny- I originally thought I would buy the Atticus, but now my Eikon is the “desert island headphone” I adore, even ahead of the Stellia and Auteur (!).

While the mid bass isn’t emphasized with the Eikon, its deep bass can hit hard, and I think that’s what I enjoy with certain genres, rather than the mid bass. Perhaps that is because great deep bass is harder to reproduce with speakers in a room, or because of my genres preferences- not sure.

Granted, amplification (and to some degree, cabling- in my view, anyway) can have a big impact here. I use a WA2 OTL tube amp, which meshes exceptionally well with ZMFs… and perhaps my current tube choices work especially well with the Eikon. But hey, if I’m musically satisfied, who cares? 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back