ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 15, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #9,661 of 9,711
The Eikon(ic) looks beautiful. But where would it fit in a collection that already has the Atrium Closed? Anything unique, different, or better about the Eikon(ic) versus the AC to warrant a spot in the lineup?
Personally I'd suggest the Bokeh or Atticus if one already has the AC, though the Bokeh are also similar. The original Eikons have more forward vocals and a bit more sub-bass. Though if you're wanting another closed the Caldera Closed will be quite a jump and very different (based on impressions since I've not heard it myself but own the Caldera Open and the rest of the lineup).

Mar 15, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #9,662 of 9,711
The Eikon(ic) looks beautiful. But where would it fit in a collection that already has the Atrium Closed? Anything unique, different, or better about the Eikon(ic) versus the AC to warrant a spot in the lineup?
I owned & reviewed an AO and heard the AC several times (not an expert on the AC). But I am familiar with the Eikon after owning a padauk pair for several years.

IMO the Eikon is rather different from the AO/AC: it has perhaps the best dynamics I've ever heard from a closed back--real jump factor. The bass is epic, in no way boosted or mid-bass bumped, just strong and tonally accurate all the way down (real sub-bass there). And despite the Eikon coming years before the ADS, the soundstaging is amazing for a closed back.

The Eikon is the closed back sibling of the OG Auteur. Both have bio-cellulose drivers and can be a bit "truthful" in the upper mids (source- & program-dependent). I found it pretty easy to work around that, though. Any slightly warm SS amp (for me it was the V281 & Lake People G109-A) will do the trick. Overall, the Eikon is a headphone that makes you sit straight up and hold on tight...a thrill ride sound.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #9,663 of 9,711
The bass is epic, in no way boosted or mid-bass bumped, just strong and tonally accurate all the way down (real sub-bass there). And despite the Eikon coming years before the ADS, the soundstaging is amazing for a closed back.
Overall, the Eikon is a headphone that makes you sit straight up and hold on tight...a thrill ride sound.
I entirely agree with you assessment, based on my experience with the Eikon I posted some pics of from ZMF November (December) 2023. It has the same drivers as the new Monkeypod ones, and the Eikon still grabs your attention and takes you on a thrill ride! (as you said) It is so much fun to listen to, and the soundstage really is impressive, particularly since it's an earlier design without ADS. It doesn't really need it, it does very well as is.

The bass really is impressive, but it's not bloated or boosted sounding. The midrange is pretty seductive, much like the Atrium (I have AO). Treble is quite detailed, but not harsh or overly bright. I don't find it too "truthful", but ymmv and all that depending on ones chain and preferences... I feel fortunate to be using it with the DSHA-3FN, backed by the Yggy OG/A2/Unison though. The Nitsch amp makes really any ZMF sound great! :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #9,665 of 9,711
I have Auteur Og and really like it. Would it be a decent assumption that most likely I will like Eikon as well?

Thanks
Interesting question. Logically, given these headphones shared drivers and similar designs, it should be a decent assumption. Then again, the Eikon slams way harder than any Auteur I've heard (when you crank it, I mean).

If you like the idea of an Auteur that slams like crazy, has even better, deeper bass, and has much of the tonal truth & specificity of the Auteur--you'll like the Eikon.

Mar 16, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #9,666 of 9,711
I completely agree with @Pharmaboy on the above. ☑️ [Two Auteur OG / Two Eikon]

Mar 17, 2024 at 9:06 AM Post #9,667 of 9,711
Interesting question. Logically, given these headphones shared drivers and similar designs, it should be a decent assumption. Then again, the Eikon slams way harder than any Auteur I've heard (when you crank it, I mean).

If you like the idea of an Auteur that slams like crazy, has even better, deeper bass, and has much of the tonal truth & specificity of the Auteur--you'll like the Eikon.
Thanks, pharmaboy. Your vivid description convinced me to put Eikon on my 'to try' list.

Mar 28, 2024 at 6:36 AM Post #9,668 of 9,711
It's been over a month since I last listened with my Atticus and man o man did I miss this sound. I have been using the Bokeh and VC's lately, and I am happy to say the Atticus still grabs me like it always did. :o2smile:

The Atticus with 300B's and some acoustic guitar is as good as it gets. The hard wood Cocobolo plays a roll both sonically and visually as well, and I don't think there is a better wood for this headphone. :grin:

1000000189.jpg

Long live the Atticus!

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #9,669 of 9,711
It's been over a month since I last listened with my Atticus and man o man did I miss this sound. I have been using the Bokeh and VC's lately, and I am happy to say the Atticus still grabs me like it always did. :o2smile:

The Atticus with 300B's and some acoustic guitar is as good as it gets. The hard wood Cocobolo plays a roll both sonically and visually as well, and I don't think there is a better wood for this headphone. :grin:

Long live the Atticus!
So funny today I thought man I haven’t given the Atticus any love lately, so off to work it went with me! :) Still an amazing listen, I fully agree. One of Zach’s all time bests.

Attachments

• IMG_1605.jpeg
    IMG_1605.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 28, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #9,670 of 9,711
So funny today I thought man I haven’t given the Atticus any love lately, so off to work it went with me! :) Still an amazing listen, I fully agree. One of Zach’s all time bests.
LOL! We always seem to be on the same page. :beerchug:

Apr 2, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #9,674 of 9,711
I had an Aeolus and Auteur which did not satisfy my desire for sub bass. I was looking at the Bokeh, but maybe the Eikon would be more suitable. I would be driving it with a Fiio BTR7, Muse M4, or Hiby R6 Pro though and don't want to use a desktop amp at this point. I am trying to narrow it down to Bokeh or Eikon.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #9,675 of 9,711
I had an Aeolus and Auteur which did not satisfy my desire for sub bass. I was looking at the Bokeh, but maybe the Eikon would be more suitable. I would be driving it with a Fiio BTR7, Muse M4, or Hiby R6 Pro though and don't want to use a desktop amp at this point. I am trying to narrow it down to Bokeh or Eikon.
If you're chasing sub-bass then Atrium Closed might scratch that itch, and should also be considered.
Biocellulose driver, similar to what Auteur and Eikon use, as well as ADS (Atrium Dampening System) like Bokeh is now using.
Some have referred to it as a "Super Eikon" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back