ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 4, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #9,691 of 9,711
Masterful write up, thanks.

What do you like about bokeh over atticus ?
The Bokeh is more balanced sounding and also more engaging and aggressive. It's not as dark as the Atticus, but actually smoother sounding to my ears. I just find it's stock tuning to be the most in tune with my preferences, with the AC and Atticus also right there. The AC again trades that top spot depending on mood, but I'll say for sure I think the Bokeh is more approachable and an all around better all arounder/generalist headphone. It's just great to my ears regardless of genre. But the AC in the right setting can one up it at times, hence my flip flopping. The Bokeh vs Atticus though really comes down to fun, and I find the Bokeh more fun. It's actually bassier than the Atticus, but also more present up top, and does proper justice to female vocals. The Atticus in comparison is a bit blurrier and hazier up top, and not as smooth. So you get more treble with the Bokeh AND smoother treble with less fatigue (for me). And that bass.... that bass..... Bass is the star of the show with the Atticus, and it's also so with the Bokeh. It digs a bit deeper into subbass, has more midbass punch, and is overall faster and more resolving and nuanced. It's bass is a home run. The AC's bass in stock configuration is very close, and more resolving, but a bit softer and more refined, whereas the Bokeh's bass is large and in charge. You trade a bit of refinement for straight up fun. The Bokeh is just fun, I can't really say much more as it's hard to put into words. I just get engaged by the Bokeh more.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #9,692 of 9,711
And that bass.... that bass..... Bass is the star of the show with the Atticus, and it's also so with the Bokeh. It digs a bit deeper into subbass, has more midbass punch, and is overall faster and more resolving and nuanced. It's bass is a home run. The AC's bass in stock configuration is very close, and more resolving, but a bit softer and more refined, whereas the Bokeh's bass is large and in charge. You trade a bit of refinement for straight up fun. The Bokeh is just fun, I can't really say much more as it's hard to put into words. I just get engaged by the Bokeh more.
I concur.

Apr 5, 2024 at 1:06 AM Post #9,693 of 9,711
I had an Aeolus and Auteur which did not satisfy my desire for sub bass. I was looking at the Bokeh, but maybe the Eikon would be more suitable. I would be driving it with a Fiio BTR7, Muse M4, or Hiby R6 Pro though and don't want to use a desktop amp at this point. I am trying to narrow it down to Bokeh or Eikon.
Well, I decided to try the Bokeh this round, simply for the easier to drive aspect. Maybe a gateway for another ZMF in the future.

Apr 8, 2024 at 11:41 PM Post #9,696 of 9,711
Some of my listening notes below. I just compared Atticus and Utopia 2022 on prima luna evo 300 at my dealers store.

-
So I listened to evo 300 with my atticus at the dealer
it was with eversolo a6 master as dac/streamer
prima luna was good with atticus but it didnt have the magic that one night when i heard it months ago
maybe the dac made the difference (that one night I heard it with atticus)
i then listened to the utopia 2022... and gotta say i just dont see the appeal of it
it sounded a bit more detailed and clear than atticus
but it was way more grainy and harsh
and this is with prima luna with el34 tubes !
and in triode mode no less
i really disliked utopia
maybe its better on an SET amp ?
atticus engaged way more
it was much more liquid, smooth, rich, full
-

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #9,697 of 9,711
Stabilized Eikon(ic) Units are up for viewing - release this Friday - April 19th at 8:30Am CST // 13:30 UTC

https://shop.zmfheadphones.com/collections/stock-headphones

Oh boy:

_DSC4089.jpg_DSC4091.jpg_DSC4094.jpg_DSC4098.jpg

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 18, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #9,700 of 9,711
Create an account first and login before the sale starts if you haven't yet. Beyond that I'm not sure what to fill out, just make whatever possible other choices ahead of time and don't spend time also buying other things. Just email them after if you wanted a bundled amp, extra pads, or something else. They've always combined shipping for me when I've had multiple purchases.

Apr 19, 2024 at 8:21 AM Post #9,701 of 9,711
Create an account first and login before the sale starts if you haven't yet. Beyond that I'm not sure what to fill out, just make whatever possible other choices ahead of time and don't spend time also buying other things. Just email them after if you wanted a bundled amp, extra pads, or something else. They've always combined shipping for me when I've had multiple purchases.

Thank you!

Apr 19, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #9,702 of 9,711
Three years ago (almost, it was May 14 of 2021) there was a Stabilized release for VC's. I wanted one that was mostly red badly. I was all prepped to go for it when the "bell struck" and every time I tried to put my chosen unit in the cart I got a ZMF pop-up "choose an option" and I could not complete the sale. Finally I thought I bought the pair I wanted. I even posted on this Board (VC sub-forum I think) that I had snagged that pair. Someone else chimed in, "I don't think so, I just bought that pair". So then I checked back and somehow I had bungled the order and had plunked down my CC on a different pair that I thought was ugly. Turns out I just had no idea what I was doing. It did not help that I was parked in my car and using my iPhone. I called ZMF and Zach graciously agreed to apply the purchase amount to an olive wood set of VC with my choice of accessories.

So over the years I have wanted a pair of Eikons and my interest went up when I learned that ZMF had started producing them again. Then this stabilized release came up. I wanted the Fuisce though the Ipanema had my attention too. I was sitting there waiting for my atomic clock to hit 9:30 EST. Deja Vu all over again. Every time I tried to complete my order I got a pop-up that I needed to "select an option". I kept trying to select the pad and second cable option (I am smart enough to know the headband, rods, and metal are predetermined) and kept getting the "select and option" pop-up. I was ready to give up with the thought "well, I don't need to spend yet more money" when somehow, some way the checkmark popped up that I had successfully gotten the Fuisce in my cart. So,.it finally looks as though I will have one pair of stabilized (Eikons) to go with my standard issue Aeolus and Olivewood VC.

Apr 19, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #9,705 of 9,711
congrats to whomever bought the neige or aleutian stabilized eikons. those look wonderful

I agree. They look beautiful. My own preference for better or worse is with the reds and not the predominantly green/blue colors.
I also find it a bit distracting (for lack of a better word) when one cup does not resemble the other. This seems to be the case with the Aleutian-one cup has a completely different pattern than the other. Just my very subjective thing.
I envy the lucky person that grabbed the stabilized Atrium Closed Punicacea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back