ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 18, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #886 of 9,714
That's a fantastic review, and really captures what my impressions were after hearing it at RMAF. Kudos and thanks!

I assume the Atticus you reviewed were not the preproduction drivers? Also, cherry or padauk?

(Sorry if that was in the review and I missed it, or if it was already asked and answered.)

Production drivers and cherry.

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #887 of 9,714
Noobie here who just started into the life of audio equipment. I've been using my k7xx with a magni 2 / modi 2 setup and I do love it. I went ahead and got the Eikon Paduak as my first big headphone purchase. I just had a few questions maybe someone can help with:

1) Will i need to upgrade my amp/dac

2) After seeing the reviews for the Atticus, it seems like that may be more tailored for EDM / Hiphop (music I primarily listen to). I'll be waiting for the Eikon reviews coming, but anyone who had exeprience with them, which musical genres in your opinion would fit the Eikon?

Nov 18, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #888 of 9,714
  Noobie here who just started into the life of audio equipment. I've been using my k7xx with a magni 2 / modi 2 setup and I do love it. I went ahead and got the Eikon Paduak as my first big headphone purchase. I just had a few questions maybe someone can help with:

1) Will i need to upgrade my amp/dac

2) After seeing the reviews for the Atticus, it seems like that may be more tailored for EDM / Hiphop (music I primarily listen to). I'll be waiting for the Eikon reviews coming, but anyone who had exeprience with them, which musical genres in your opinion would fit the Eikon?

1. Your Magni 2 should be fine with the Eikon, so you don't NEED to upgrade it. However, the Magni 2 is pretty bright amp, so a warmer (possibly tube) amp might compliment the more neutral sounding Eikon better.

2. I don't think there's a going to be a huge difference in which genres shine between the Atticus/Eikon. Certainly not like a LCD-3 vs a HD800 or something like that. In fact if you like EDM/Hip Hop, the Eikon actually has better sub-bass, where the Atticus has more pronounced mid-bass. So both should handle those genres really well, they'll just have a slightly different flavor from each other.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #889 of 9,714
Guys he said they aren't quite HD800 level.

200w.gif

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:05 PM Post #890 of 9,714

In fact if you like EDM/Hip Hop, the Eikon actually has better sub-bass, where the Atticus has more pronounced mid-bass.

So what you're saying is...

??

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:38 PM Post #892 of 9,714
Nov 19, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #894 of 9,714
Nov 20, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #896 of 9,714
So I have a Modi multibit and a Magni 2 Uber ..

What extra headphone amp should I purchase (as a holiday gift for myself)?

I ordered both the Atticus (paduak) & a cherry Eikon

I was thinking about getting ... a LTA MZ2-S or a Woo Audio WA7 Firefly or maybe even a Cavalli amp

The Magni is my first headphone amp ...

Maybe I should wait and see how things sound before Ordering something else ... I just feel the need to spend ( not married so that makes things easier )

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #897 of 9,714
You should wait to see how it sounds with the magni. Then you can think wether or not you want another amp. If you do, then you can think about what flavor you would want to add to the headphones, having known what the magni does for the sound.

Nov 20, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #898 of 9,714
You should wait to see how it sounds with the magni. Then you can think wether or not you want another amp. If you do, then you can think about what flavor you would want to add to the headphones, having known what the magni does for the sound.
Even though I do not have a headphone amp and these headphones are my first (I have Angie II IEM), I will wait too.

Nov 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #900 of 9,714

Users who are viewing this thread

Back