1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by hisoundfi, Oct 1, 2016.
First

Back
49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69
Next

Last
  1. Hisoundfi Contributor

Atticus is warmer and slightly bassier and smoother of the two, so it would be the Hd650 of the two

Eikon is still bold, but a step down from the Atticus in terms of warmth and bass. It has a little more upper frequency presence. For that reason, Eikon would be the HD600 of the pair.

I'm not saying they sound exactly like the Senns. I am saying that if I had to compare the pairs, that's how I would describe it.

2. Hisoundfi Contributor
    I'll try to have the Eikon review done this weekend.

No promises though. These reviews are a lot of listening, comparing, and a lot of work.

westermac likes this.
  3. mwhals

We appreciate your dedication to getting us reviews even though I ordered both.

Hisoundfi likes this.
  4. Hisoundfi Contributor

That's really hard to answer. Atticus has more of the sub bass that my Omni has. Eikon has more of the airiness and separation that Omni has. That's a toss up, I can't say one or the other.

5. Astral Abyss

Really appreciate the descriptive answers.  From what you said in your Atticus review and what you stated above, I'm really confident now that I made the right choice going with the Eikon.

6. PacoTaco
    My review is now up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/zmf-headphones-atticus-dynamic-tpe-driver-over-ear-full-size-headphone/reviews/17343

Hansotek likes this.
  7. thecrow
    That review was very useful for me. Thanks

So its the eikon that i need to look at for me, as zach recommended to me.

When you mentioned that the detail was good what headphone(s) may compare to it re level of detail (but not necessarily sound signature)?

Also wondering what dac and amp you were using in the review. Apologies if you mentioned it earlier and i forgot

Thanks

8. PacoTaco
    As far as amps, Zach's Decware OTL (warm and tubey) and my NFB-11 (neutral.)

As far as detail, probably akin to the HE560, HD600 and maybe a good/lucky Beyerdynamic T1. It isn't quite HD800, and I don't think it aspires to be, but it's damn good in detail and resolve.

9. thecrow
    Thats great

I was looking at the eikon to complement my hd800.

I didnt expect it to be like the hd800 but if its at the levels of the ones you mentioned re the atticus then that should work for me and not get neglected as i do love my hd800 in my set up (built around the hd800) with my woo wa2

10. SHAMuuu

hD800 level? That is some serious praise . [​IMG]

11. jelt2359 Contributor

My hd800 and hd800s have basically become a niche headphone for when I want orchestral or ambient music with big soundstage. No vocals. But for that reason also I see them as good complements with the ZMF headphones.

Will be more keen to compare the Eikon and Atticus with the Utopia. We'll see in 3 months, gonna be an interesting wait, I'm still intrigued that someone sold my favourite headphone, the Code-X, in favour of these! Apples and oranges of course

12. The_Blood_Raven

Guys he said they aren't quite HD800 level.

13. cglin222
    I have hd800, but never heard of hd800s, do you really need to get hd800s when you have hd800 (stock)? Recently been thinking of hd800s or Eikon

I do think that after listening a while on hd800, everything became dull and boring... but really I don't think the treble bothers me, as I like to hear them in orchestral music.
    do you used both hd800 and hd800s for orchestral, or there is one preference over the other. I mean I am trying to justify myself to get hd800s without selling hd800, I do hear hd800 is still bigger soundstage and airy?

14. heliosphann

What's up Code-X brother? Not too many of us out there. [​IMG]

Thing I like about the stock HD800 is you can use them on a more neutral amp and get that ultra clear and detailed (albeit dry) sound which works well with some music. Or you can pair it with a OTL amp using some juicy tubes and thicken it up.

15. ProfFalkin
First

Back
49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58
60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69
Next

Last