1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by hisoundfi, Oct 1, 2016.
First

Back
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68
Next

Last
  1. DoctaCosmos
    Love it when people give good advice that everyone can understand. Then I don't have to do it lol.

2. mwhals

Thanks! That helps me understand better. If I had a 100 ohm amp, then it would be a 3:1 ratio meaning a very warm sound. My QP1R gives me a more neutral sound at 1200:1, if I am correct.

3. The_Blood_Raven

Exactly. And its important to remember this is only true for the Eikon and Atticus. The ZMF classic, vibro, blackwood, and omni are all planar magnetic drivers which are unaffected by damping factor.

DoctaCosmos likes this.
  4. Timekiller
    +1  If it sounds good it is good!  Same deal with wine. I don't care what it cost.  If it taste good I drink it.  Otherwise, I drink it anyhow because I opened the bottle!

5. Timekiller

Ordered a Decware Taboo a while back.  Hoping to take delivery about same time as my Atticus and Eikon! Christmas comes in February this year..or would that be next year?

6. ProfFalkin
    Color me jealous!

7. jelt2359 Contributor
    As they say... picture thousand words:

f26c9f7b_image.jpg

8. jelt2359 Contributor
    The strange thing is that on my OTL amp, there is a switch that reduces the output impedance and reduces gain as well. This ends up making the sound less warm and more clear, even on the same high-Z cans.

So I'm really not sure it's just about damping factor. In general you need 8:1. But even if you meet the 8:1 requirement, a lower output impedance tends to sound brighter and clearer, and a higher output impedance the opposite.

9. mysticstryk

I wouldn't say completely outdated.  Some headphones from the likes of beyerdynamic were (maybe still are?) tuned to the IEC standard of 120ohm amp output.  I believe the higher end Sennheisers still do this as well.

10. zzzmonster
    I concur, the 1770 midrange is perfectly fine on it during CANJAM

11. Hisoundfi Contributor
    the key sentence in that paragraph is that "after adjusting to the sound I can appreciate both"

I was more trying to show the differences in sound

12. Hisoundfi Contributor
    I have another confession to make.

I flat out prefer the sound of the Eikon because it is tuned for my preferences and how I like to hear my music.

In the conclusion, I wanted to leave the Atticus star rating an open forum because I know that I often times lean towards a more neutral sound. If I was going to rate the Atticus with my personal listening bias, it wouldn't be as high as someone looking for a sound signature like Atticus.

I don't say this to take away from the Atticus thunder. They are great. It's different strokes for different folks.

Even when tuning them, Zach said "you are probably going to like the Eikon more" because he knows my preferences. This is the exact reason why he made two different headphones. They are going to appeal to two different crowds. Think along the lines of HD600 and HD650. They are different, and it's a matter of your preference when determining how much you like them.

13. mwhals

This is why I ordered both. I am still determining my preference, but am leaning more toward a neutral sound.

14. zzzmonster

Maybe Padauk Atticus is less coloured

15. Astral Abyss

Which is more like which?

Also which would you say sounds similar to the Omni (if you've heard one)?

First

Back
48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57
59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68
Next

Last