ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #856 of 9,716
Love it when people give good advice that everyone can understand. Then I don't have to do it lol.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #857 of 9,716
The vast, vast majority of Solid State amplifiers are "low Z (or low ohm its also called)". The Schiit solid state amps all have output impedance (Z/ohm) of around 1 ohm. A notable exception is the A20 from Beyerdynamic that has an output impedance of around 100 ohm since Beyerdynamic still designs around outdated standards.

The reason any of this matters is something called "damping factor". Generally a damping factor of under 8:1 (headphone/driver impedance:amplifier output impedance )can affect the frequency response of a driver. The lower the ratio, generally the "warmer" the drivers will sound. Note, that this mostly only works for dynamic drivers and not for planar drivers which have entirely linear impedance curves and so are unaltered with damping factor.

For reference your QP1R has an output impedance of well under 1 ohm, according to the manufacturer. That would be a damping factor of 1200:1, roughly. After like 8:1 damping factor should make no audible difference, so you're good to go if you want a high damping factor/no added warmth from damping factor.

Thanks! That helps me understand better. If I had a 100 ohm amp, then it would be a 3:1 ratio meaning a very warm sound. My QP1R gives me a more neutral sound at 1200:1, if I am correct.

Nov 17, 2016 at 8:37 PM Post #858 of 9,716
Thanks! That helps me understand better. If I had a 100 ohm amp, then it would be a 3:1 ratio meaning a very warm sound. My QP1R gives me a more neutral sound at 1200:1, if I am correct.

Exactly. And its important to remember this is only true for the Eikon and Atticus. The ZMF classic, vibro, blackwood, and omni are all planar magnetic drivers which are unaffected by damping factor.

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:08 PM Post #860 of 9,716
Zach could have told me he made the driver out of rainbows and unicorn farts, and I still would have purchased it after I heard it. As long as it sounds great (and it does) that's what is important, eh?

Yeah, I should amend my statement to saying, if you like a more linear type sound with the Atticus, an amp with a low Z like the Valhalla (on low gain) or the ZOTL does awesome.  For me gimme that lush lush decware 60 ohm output!

Ordered a Decware Taboo a while back.  Hoping to take delivery about same time as my Atticus and Eikon! Christmas comes in February this year..or would that be next year?

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:11 PM Post #861 of 9,716
Ordered a Decware Taboo a while back.  Hoping to take delivery about same time as my Atticus and Eikon! Christmas comes in February this year..or would that be next year?
Color me jealous!

Nov 17, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #862 of 9,716

Listening to the Audio-GD Master 11 with the Atticus right now, LOW Z solid state or otherwise amps do sound very clean on these, definitely a departure from some OTL amps.  Both the Eikon and Atticus will be "social butterflies" so to speak, adapting to whatever you put around them because of the 300 ohm drivers.

PS - what amp?

As they say... picture thousand words:

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #863 of 9,716
The vast, vast majority of Solid State amplifiers are "low Z (or low ohm its also called)". The Schiit solid state amps all have output impedance (Z/ohm) of around 1 ohm. A notable exception is the A20 from Beyerdynamic that has an output impedance of around 100 ohm since Beyerdynamic still designs around outdated standards.

The reason any of this matters is something called "damping factor". Generally a damping factor of under 8:1 (headphone/driver impedance:amplifier output impedance )can affect the frequency response of a driver. The lower the ratio, generally the "warmer" the drivers will sound. Note, that this mostly only works for dynamic drivers and not for planar drivers which have entirely linear impedance curves and so are unaltered with damping factor.

For reference your QP1R has an output impedance of well under 1 ohm, according to the manufacturer. That would be a damping factor of 1200:1, roughly. After like 8:1 damping factor should make no audible difference, so you're good to go if you want a high damping factor/no added warmth from damping factor.

The strange thing is that on my OTL amp, there is a switch that reduces the output impedance and reduces gain as well. This ends up making the sound less warm and more clear, even on the same high-Z cans.

So I'm really not sure it's just about damping factor. In general you need 8:1. But even if you meet the 8:1 requirement, a lower output impedance tends to sound brighter and clearer, and a higher output impedance the opposite.

Nov 18, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #864 of 9,716

I wouldn't say completely outdated.  Some headphones from the likes of beyerdynamic were (maybe still are?) tuned to the IEC standard of 120ohm amp output.  I believe the higher end Sennheisers still do this as well.

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #865 of 9,716
I concur, the 1770 midrange is perfectly fine on it during CANJAM

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #866 of 9,716
"Switching from Atticus to Eikon, the Eikon seems initially crisper and almost shouty in comparison". This and mentioning an upper midrange emphasis scares me about the eikon. My ears are super sensitive to this. Asking to switch from the eikon to the Atticus seems like a no brained for me except I'm a sucker for "black backgrounds" and worried about the kids of the Atticus being to lush and me constantly hearing the coloration carry over to genres of music I don't want it carried onto. Also, from what I've read , the eikon see,s to be the better driver so how does one accept a lower standard when I have the resources for the "better" option
the key sentence in that paragraph is that "after adjusting to the sound I can appreciate both"

I was more trying to show the differences in sound

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #867 of 9,716
I have another confession to make.

I flat out prefer the sound of the Eikon because it is tuned for my preferences and how I like to hear my music.

In the conclusion, I wanted to leave the Atticus star rating an open forum because I know that I often times lean towards a more neutral sound. If I was going to rate the Atticus with my personal listening bias, it wouldn't be as high as someone looking for a sound signature like Atticus.

I don't say this to take away from the Atticus thunder. They are great. It's different strokes for different folks.

Even when tuning them, Zach said "you are probably going to like the Eikon more" because he knows my preferences. This is the exact reason why he made two different headphones. They are going to appeal to two different crowds. Think along the lines of HD600 and HD650. They are different, and it's a matter of your preference when determining how much you like them.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #868 of 9,716

I flat out prefer the sound of the Eikon because it is tuned for my preferences and how I like to hear my music.

In the conclusion, I wanted to leave the Atticus star rating an open forum because I know that I often times lean towards a more neutral sound. If I was going to rate the Atticus with my personal listening bias, it wouldn't be as high as someone looking for a sound signature like Atticus.

I don't say this to take away from the Atticus thunder. They are great. It's different strokes for different folks.

Even when tuning them, Zach said "you are probably going to like the Eikon more" because he knows my preferences. This is the exact reason why he made two different headphones. They are going to appeal to two different crowds. Think along the lines of HD600 and HD650. They are different, and it's a matter of your preference when determining how much you like them.

This is why I ordered both. I am still determining my preference, but am leaning more toward a neutral sound.

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #869 of 9,716

Maybe Padauk Atticus is less coloured

Nov 18, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #870 of 9,716

Which is more like which?

Also which would you say sounds similar to the Omni (if you've heard one)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back