ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 13, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #8,911 of 9,748
PXL_20220412_155139381.jpg

I got the Atticus in Blackwood yesterday. Blackwood is my favourite wood, sadly it doesn't sound good on the Verite open, but for the Atticus it's just perfect.

Driving the Atticus with my Rockna Wavelight and Feliks Euphoria AE is just a ethereal and punchy combination. Absolutely love it. I only used the Eikon pads so far.

Very excited for the next listening session :)

In the long run I will buy Eikon and Ori Suede pads since they are recommended by Zach.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #8,912 of 9,748

I got the Atticus in Blackwood yesterday. Blackwood is my favourite wood, sadly it doesn't sound good on the Verite open, but for the Atticus it's just perfect.

Driving the Atticus with my Rockna Wavelight and Feliks Euphoria AE is just a ethereal and punchy combination. Absolutely love it. I only used the Eikon pads so far.

In the long run I will buy Eikon and Ori Suede pads since they are recommended by Zach.
Consider the Ori Lambskin pads also. I do like the suede Eikon pads with the Atticus but the Ori Lambskin pads are my favorites. The mid-bass slam with the Ori Lambskin pads is highly intoxicating.

Apr 13, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #8,913 of 9,748
Consider the Ori Lambskin pads also. I do like the suede Eikon pads with the Atticus but the Ori Lambskin pads are my favorites. The mid-bass slam with the Ori Lambskin pads is highly intoxicating.
I concur, and the Ori Lambskin are the stock pads on the Atticus for a reason. I think they sound fantastic and unique in their own way with the stock pads, and that's how I have kept them from the start. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2022 at 2:45 PM Post #8,914 of 9,748
I did listen to the ori pads today and surely the midbass thump is thunderous and pleasing.

I can't decide yet what my favourite pads will be.

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #8,915 of 9,748
I did listen to the ori pads today and surely the midbass thump is thunderous and pleasing.

I can't decide yet what my favourite pads will be.
That's one of the many great things about ZMFs. There is usually more than one good sounding pad for each one of their models. You can change the pads to suit your tastes, music, or just as a change up. It makes them very versatile as I'm sure you already know. I love your Blackwood Atticus btw. If I ever see one available I may have to jump on it.

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #8,916 of 9,748
Indeed! The ZMFs are very nicely driven by the Violectric V200 and by the Flux Lab Acoustic FA-22. Panoramic, detailed, tinge of warmth…😋🤗
I have 4 ZMFs (not including the Atticus, which I owned at one time). I listen primarily via solid state. A few names I would add to the list of SS amps that kill in w/ZMF headphones:
  • Violectric V281 (my best & favorite amp)
  • Cavalli Liquid Carbon v2 (great sound in a small package)
  • Lake People G109-A (single-ended, sounds like heaven w/all ZMFs; currently F.S. on Head-Fi)
  • Kinki Studio Vision THR-1: my newest, still burning in. I've tried it w/a couple headphones and it sounds absolutely killer. It will give the V281 a run for its money.

Apr 13, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #8,917 of 9,748
Indeed! The ZMFs are very nicely driven by the Violectric V200 and by the Flux Lab Acoustic FA-22. Panoramic, detailed, tinge of warmth…😋🤗
PS: I would've been all over the Flux Lab Acoustic FA-22 if it weren't so large. It just wouldn't fit in either of my desktop systems, damn the luck...

Apr 13, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #8,918 of 9,748
PS: I would've been all over the Flux Lab Acoustic FA-22 if it weren't so large. It just wouldn't fit in either of my desktop systems, damn the luck...
…if you think that FA-22 is large, look at Volot. It lives up to its name!

Apr 15, 2022 at 2:25 AM Post #8,919 of 9,748

if you ever want to sell those let me know, id be happy to take them :o2smile:

Apr 15, 2022 at 4:11 AM Post #8,920 of 9,748
PXL_20220415_080613300.jpg
if you ever want to sell those let me know, id be happy to take them :o2smile:

Haha someone else said that for my cocobolo Aeolus also. Your chances are low. I do really enjoy my Aelous and the Atticus is just the same quality with a different flavor.
They make me enjoy the music.

I think the Atticus in Blackwood was only available very shortly as a micro batch. So not many might be arround. It's absolutely my favourite wood. Very happy I found one in mint condition.

If I would need to let go some headphones it would be my VO/VC. When listening to these I'm analysing my whole chain instead of just enjoying the music.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #8,921 of 9,748
If I would need to let go some headphones it would be my VO/VC. When listening to these I'm analysing my whole chain instead of just enjoying the music.
I would very much like to own a VC one day and have a similar worry. I love my Eikon and worried that I won't want to get rid of it for any other closed back and I am not of the mind to own multiple headphones of a single type.

Apr 15, 2022 at 1:51 PM Post #8,922 of 9,748

Haha someone else said that for my cocobolo Aeolus also. Your chances are low. I do really enjoy my Aelous and the Atticus is just the same quality with a different flavor.

I think the Atticus in Blackwood was only available very shortly as a micro batch. So not many might be arround. It's absolutely my favourite wood. Very happy I found one in mint condition.

beautful blackwoods. i too am a fan of darker woods

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #8,923 of 9,748
I would very much like to own a VC one day and have a similar worry. I love my Eikon and worried that I won't want to get rid of it for any other closed back and I am not of the mind to own multiple headphones of a single type.
The VC is amazing, I was saying the same thing with the Auteur ''I don't want to get rid of it'' but the VC made me do it. The layering of the music is just waaaay better and I could even say the sound stage is larger too the only nitpick was that the voices were a bit pushed back on the VC compared to the Auteur but I don't really care about that anymore. Now I just want an Atticus because I want a cheaper headphone I don't have to worry too much about if it gets scuffed or if I handle it roughly, I'd never handle my VC roughly LOLOL.

Apr 15, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #8,924 of 9,748

oh yeah those Aeolus look really nice too.

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:54 AM Post #8,925 of 9,748
The VC is amazing, I was saying the same thing with the Auteur ''I don't want to get rid of it'' but the VC made me do it. The layering of the music is just waaaay better and I could even say the sound stage is larger too the only nitpick was that the voices were a bit pushed back on the VC compared to the Auteur but I don't really care about that anymore. Now I just want an Atticus because I want a cheaper headphone I don't have to worry too much about if it gets scuffed or if I handle it roughly, I'd never handle my VC roughly LOLOL.
The VC and Atticus are a great complimentary pair of headphones with 2 different presentations of ZMF awesomeness. I enjoy what each brings to the table equally and could never part with either. The Atticus may be more affordable, but it's every bit as enjoyable as the VC for me. I like my VC for all types of music, and when I am in a mood to jump from genre to genre. When I am in the mood for something more genre specific like Folk, Bluegrass, or Acoustic Guitar, I grab my Atticus and want for nothing. So I say go for it, the Atticus is awesome and especially in a harder denser wood type. I feel the denser wood really plays to the strengths of the Atticus.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back