ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 1, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #8,896 of 9,748
I will add that with a well-designed R2R DAC with no over-sampling, any tendency in the Eikon towards undue assertiveness disappears when using a digital source.
Do you have any specific recommendations? I am interested in trying a R2R DAC, but don't really know where to start.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #8,897 of 9,748
Do you have any specific recommendations? I am interested in trying a R2R DAC, but don't really know where to start.
Depending on your budget, take a look at Denafrips Ares II or Denafrips Pontus II (> $). For an R2R DAC with tube buffering, look at MHDT Labs Orchid.

Apr 1, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #8,898 of 9,748
Depending on your budget, take a look at Denafrips Ares II or Denafrips Pontus II (> $). For an R2R DAC with tube buffering, look at MHDT Labs Orchid.
Another R2R option is the Schiit Gungnir Multibit. It has a very organic sound yet quite detailed and resolving. If you can find a used unit, they typically sell for $ 850-900.

(Note that there is a less expensive Delta-Sigma option of the Gungnir- not the one you want! 😊)

Apr 1, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #8,899 of 9,748
I had the Soekris 1421 and Ares 1 at the same time, and quickly sold the Ares. Just wasn't on the same level in terms of details or soundstage width. I think the 2541 is their latest model. The 1421 was not of the stereotypical warm R2R sound the technology has a reputation for, but actually quite neutral and overall similar to the Chord Hugo 2.

Apr 1, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #8,900 of 9,748
I'm a big fan of NOS/R2R DACs (I've had 3). If you're looking for a non-budget-busting way to check out NOS sound, you can do no better than the Audio GD all-in-one, R2R-11 MK2. It's a single-ended headphone amp (the usual strong, slightly warm but neutral-ish AGD amp) + a full NOS DAC. I use only the DAC portion.

I installed this in my side system and have it paired with 2 headphone amps, courtesy of the 2nd RCA output pair I paid AGD to put on the back. I think this DAC is a true sonic overachiever. Its sound comes rather close to that of my "better" NOS DAC, the MHDT Labs Orchid (w/the best of 3 rolled output tubes). So the sound is excellent overall.

I paid a little under $700 for this unit, shipped to the U.S. That's cheap money for a good-sounding NOS DAC.

BTW, I bought 2 other AGD amps from Magni HiFi in the Netherlands. Excellent experiences both times (I dealt with Jos). You can get the R2R-11 MK2 from them just as easily as from Audio GD direct.

Apr 1, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #8,902 of 9,748
The others here have giving you some great suggestions. I just wanted to add that all of the MHDT dacs I've tried have been excellent. I've had the Paradesia + and Havana in the past and still have the Steeplechase and Pagoda now. They all have been great to my ears.

Apr 2, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #8,903 of 9,748
I am really a fan of the r2r tube audio mirror tubadour iii se. Very, very good sound.

Apr 12, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #8,905 of 9,748
You probably cannot drive Atticus with Topping DX3 Pro+, right?

Well you can of course but should you?

Why not?

I play my Eikon from my dap all the time, have loads of headroom on it, so a dedicated desktop amp will have no problems.

You might get diminishing returns with more power but this will still sound alright I reckon.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #8,906 of 9,748
Why not?

I play my Eikon from my dap all the time, have loads of headroom on it, so a dedicated desktop amp will have no problems.

You might get diminishing returns with more power but this will still sound alright I reckon.
I have watched all yt rews about Atticus and many people are saying that you should definitely avoid these cheap soulless garbage amps with Atticus and get something more premium, maybe tubes.

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #8,907 of 9,748
I have watched all yt rews about Atticus and many people are saying that you should definitely avoid these cheap soulless garbage amps with Atticus and get something more premium, maybe tubes.
I’ll stay away from the “soulless” description- thankfully I’ve managed to avoid that kind of hardware- BUT I will say that some tube amps like Feliks Audio are a good choice with ZMFs, and there are a lot of fans of Bottlehead Crack, Hagerman Tuba, Quicksilver, and other good tube amps with Zach & team’s creations as well.

On the solid-state side (you know, while the tubes warm up 😊) something with a tinge of warmth and an organic sound works well, such as Violectric amps.

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:24 PM Post #8,908 of 9,748
I’ll stay away from the “soulless” description- thankfully I’ve managed to avoid that kind of hardware- BUT I will say that some tube amps like Feliks Audio are a good choice with ZMFs, and there are a lot of fans of Bottlehead Crack, Hagerman Tuba, Quicksilver, and other good tube amps with Zach & team’s creations as well.

On the solid-state side (you know, while the tubes warm up 😊) something with a tinge of warmth and an organic sound works well, such as Violectric amps.
Indeed! The ZMFs are very nicely driven by the Violectric V200 and by the Flux Lab Acoustic FA-22. Panoramic, detailed, tinge of warmth…😋🤗

Apr 12, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #8,909 of 9,748
Indeed! The ZMFs are very nicely driven by the Violectric V200 and by the Flux Lab Acoustic FA-22. Panoramic, detailed, tinge of warmth…😋🤗
Oooh- Flux Lab- good call. I would bet a lot of Class A solid state amps with decent power would be good choices too. I would not hesitate to try Burson amps with ZMF, and Sugden and Pass (spendy though!) would be on the short list too.

Apr 13, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #8,910 of 9,748
Oooh- Flux Lab- good call. I would bet a lot of Class A solid state amps with decent power would be good choices too. I would not hesitate to try Burson amps with ZMF, and Sugden and Pass (spendy though!) would be on the short list too.
And…the ‘little’ Gilmore Lite Mk II + Golden Reference p/s/u does a great job with ZMFs. Is it the ne plus ultra? No, but it makes me delirious over how good it is.
A268DAEE-C7DD-4F3C-9A08-D484C0FBC867.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back