ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Mar 24, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #8,867 of 9,741
but ramen and a unhappy wife doesn't taste so good lol

Mar 24, 2022 at 10:59 PM Post #8,868 of 9,741
Tell me about it. I have a bocote eikon, the limited atrium would match so very well....
Bocote is a fabulous wood.

One of my only real regrets in this hobby is that I didn't get my Ori in bocote...I got it in ormosia henryi.

I love that headphone to pieces and will never part with it. But the thought of it in bocoto kind of haunts me.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #8,869 of 9,741
So will I be glad I got my Eikon when I did, or will I be tempted with a new product soon? Time will tell!

My thought...both.
If you like the Eikon and Auteur, I think you're really going to love the Atrium. That's how I feel about the 3 anyway. My Auteur was my #3 favorite after the Verites but the Atrium has knocked it down a notch. Spent all day yesterday going between the two and will write something up eventually, hopefully after my next sorta day off.

Mar 25, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #8,870 of 9,741
Mar 25, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #8,871 of 9,741
If you like the Eikon and Auteur, I think you're really going to love the Atrium. That's how I feel about the 3 anyway. My Auteur was my #3 favorite after the Verites but the Atrium has knocked it down a notch. Spent all day yesterday going between the two and will write something up eventually, hopefully after my next sorta day off.
Your profile pic still haunts me, robo!

Mar 30, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #8,872 of 9,741
I could use some amp suggestions to pair with my Atticus. It would also get some use with a couple Senn cans (650 and 660S) and a Focal Elear. I'll probably jump up to another ZMF can down the road too.

For context, I've got a Bifrost2/Jotunheim 2 right now which does a good job with almost everything I've got, just wanting to get a tube amp to go with some of those dynamics. I'm using a little Vali2+ as a preamp to the Jot2 sometimes, but it's not really scratching the itch. Hopefully an OTL will. I previously had a Little Dot MKii and wasn't ever too impressed with it, before it went faulty.

Some things I have considered given my budget of $300-$500 or so.
- Valhalla 2
- Xduoo TA-26
- Used Feliks Echo

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated!

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #8,873 of 9,741
I could use some amp suggestions to pair with my Atticus. It would also get some use with a couple Senn cans (650 and 660S) and a Focal Elear. I'll probably jump up to another ZMF can down the road too.

For context, I've got a Bifrost2/Jotunheim 2 right now which does a good job with almost everything I've got, just wanting to get a tube amp to go with some of those dynamics. I'm using a little Vali2+ as a preamp to the Jot2 sometimes, but it's not really scratching the itch. Hopefully an OTL will. I previously had a Little Dot MKii and wasn't ever too impressed with it, before it went faulty.

- Valhalla 2
- Xduoo TA-26
- Used Feliks Echo

On your list, go with the Xduoo TA-26. Off your list, a secondhand Woo WA3 (from HF, Audiogon, US AudioMart classified adverts…?)

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:26 PM Post #8,874 of 9,741

- Valhalla 2
- Xduoo TA-26
- Used Feliks Echo

I'm unfamiliar with the Xduoo but the Valhalla and Echo are excellent options, as is a used Bottlehead Crack with Speedball if you can find one. I thought the Echo was a bit better than the Valhalla myself, as it was a warmer sounding amp, more tube-like. The Valhalla can sound a bit solid-state like, especially with the stock tubes. Another option is a Hagerman Tuba. I got mine used for around $500. Killer sounding amp, and more versatile as it's transformer coupled, with two different impedance outputs. It's my favorite tube amp under $1000. Another good option are Garage1217 amps. There's a range of options/models, of which I've only heard the Horizon, which I thought was very nice sounding. I would take an Echo or Tuba over it, but it's not that far off. And maybe some tube rolling would change my mind?

EDIT - As Jonathan C suggested, used Woo WA3 or WA6 would rock as well. I love the WA3 myself, a wonderful amp.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #8,875 of 9,741

- Valhalla 2
- Xduoo TA-26
- Used Feliks Echo

I would look at a used Bottlehead Crack also. If you are handy with a soldering iron and looking for a DYI project, you could consider getting the Bottlehead Crack kit and assembling yourself.

Mar 30, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #8,876 of 9,741
Btw I also have the Atticus, HD6XX, and HD660s as well as a Bifrost 2 and Valhalla. All of those phones sound great with the Bifrost 2/Valhalla combo. They sound better on my MHDT Pagoda/Bottlehead Crack combo, but the Bifrost 2/Valhalla combo is still excellent.

Mar 30, 2022 at 1:36 PM Post #8,877 of 9,741
I too have owned the Valhalla 2, and it sounded fantastic with the Atticus. I think the leaner sound of the V2 works well with the Atticus thicker sound, and especially with some 12AT7's w/adapters. Also, I actually preferred the V2 over the BHC with the Atticus. The Valhalla 2 really is something special with warm high impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #8,879 of 9,741
I too have owned the Valhalla 2, and it sounded fantastic with the Atticus. I think the leaner sound of the V2 works well with the Atticus thicker sound, and especially with some 12AT7's w/adapters. Also, I actually preferred the V2 over the BHC with the Atticus. The Valhalla 2 really is something special with warm high impedance headphones.
I find I also prefer the Valhalla to the BHC with the HD6XX for the exact reasons you list. They both sound great and put a huge smile on my face with whatever high impedance phone you run with them.

On another note I also really like the way the Lyr sounds with the Atticus. It really gives it some serious punch while remaining controlled. It's a nice alternative/change of pace amp. The Atticus/Lyr combo is especially good with rock and metal to my ears.

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #8,880 of 9,741
Thanks for the Atticus amp recs! It good to hear some firsthand feedback on a few more things. I'll likely keep an eye on the used market for a little while for somethijg from Woo, Feliks, or a BHC. If nothing suitable pops up, a new Valhalla or TA-26 should keep me happy. Maybe I could convince a friend more solder-skilled than I to work on a new BHC with me 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back