ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Apr 16, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #8,926 of 9,763
I will add that with a well-designed R2R DAC with no over-sampling, any tendency in the Eikon towards undue assertiveness disappears when using a digital source.
I just secured a bocote Eikon that should arrive next week. I can’t wait to hear how it sounds with my R2R DAC (Gungnir MB) and Feliks Echo (7308 NOS tubes). Yay!

[Photos to come]

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #8,927 of 9,763
I just secured a bocote Eikon that should arrive next week. I can’t wait to hear how it sounds with my R2R DAC (Gungnir MB) and Feliks Echo (7308 NOS tubes). Yay!

[Photos to come]
☑️☑️ After some familiarity with your Eikon, talk h/p cable?…🤷🏻‍♂️

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:16 PM Post #8,928 of 9,763
☑️☑️ After some familiarity with your Eikon, talk h/p cable?…🤷🏻‍♂️
Absolutely!

I have a Norne Drausk and a WireWorld Eclipse as options, but might get a copper/silver combo this summer…

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #8,929 of 9,763
Two copper/silver (interwoven, not plated) h/p cables to consider: Norne Audio Vygarde (with mini-XLRs - HD600s in picture)
A696BAE3-F8C7-4961-BCC2-B7FCF2A316D1.jpeg
Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid
7A8476DB-EF9C-44DB-AB8C-E7E049137D75.jpeg

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #8,930 of 9,763
Two copper/silver (interwoven, not plated) h/p cables to consider: Norne Audio Vygarde (with mini-XLRs - HD600s in picture) A696BAE3-F8C7-4961-BCC2-B7FCF2A316D1.jpegForza Audio Works Noir Hybrid7A8476DB-EF9C-44DB-AB8C-E7E049137D75.jpeg
Thank you! With all due respect to the FAW team: I’m a big fan of Trevor’s, so I’ll probably go with a Vygarde if budget allows, alternatively his lower wire-count new option.

Apr 18, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #8,931 of 9,763
52329A07-C972-4A2E-816B-C1B6A5910A75.jpeg

Between the VC and Aeolus, I hadn’t found myself using my Atticus much. I didn’t have the heart to sell them so I decided to repurpose the as my living room turntable headphone, paired with an SA-1. My turntable setup is pretty modest but it sounds absolutely phenomenal on the Atticus. I was really surprised, I’d tried pairing other headphones with it in the past and something just wasn’t meshing. But the Atticus seems to work so well with vinyl, and it’s elevated far above what I was getting out of it with my digital setup.

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #8,932 of 9,763
I have recently gone back to Eikon after selling my VCs. I really love the presentation from the biodyna driver.

For my preferences the Eikon can use a little help from EQ.
These are the settings in my ADI-2:
1.7Khz +6 Q4.0
3.1KHz +1.5 Q3.5

I find that this brings the vocal presentation more forward and gives the sound more clarity. I prefer this setting most of the time compared to no EQ.
If someone else wants to try it, I would be interested to hear what you think.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #8,933 of 9,763
I have recently gone back to Eikon after selling my VCs. I really love the presentation from the biodyna driver.

For my preferences the Eikon can use a little help from EQ.
These are the settings in my ADI-2:
1.7Khz +6 Q4.0
3.1KHz +1.5 Q3.5

I find that this brings the vocal presentation more forward and gives the sound more clarity. I prefer this setting most of the time compared to no EQ.
If someone else wants to try it, I would be interested to hear what you think.

Cheers!
I am not an EQer…..am happy that you enjoy the Eikon: a wonderfully detailed, exciting, musically natural headphone! PS…which h/p cable do you use with Eikon?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #8,934 of 9,763
I am not an EQer…..am happy that you enjoy the Eikon: a wonderfully detailed, exciting, musically natural headphone! PS…which h/p cable do you use with Eikon?
I use Forza cables. Either a Noir or a Noir Hybrid.

I found that rolling warmer driver tubes on the Euforia was beneficial for the Eikon. I use Shuguang Black Treasure CV-181 as drivers and WE421 as power tubes.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #8,935 of 9,763
I use Forza cables. Either a Noir or a Noir Hybrid.

I found that rolling warmer driver tubes on the Euforia was beneficial for the Eikon. I use Shuguang Black Treasure CV-181 as drivers and WE421 as power tubes.
I love Forza cables! I have a Noir copper and love it. The aesthetics alone are worth the cost of admission. I love the chunky look and how pliable it is.

What pads do you roll on your Eikon? I miss mine :frowning2: I loved the Eikon lambskins myself.

Apr 19, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #8,936 of 9,763
I love Forza cables! I have a Noir copper and love it. The aesthetics alone are worth the cost of admission. I love the chunky look and how pliable it is.

What pads do you roll on your Eikon? I miss mine :frowning2: I loved the Eikon lambskins myself.
Right now I only have the Eikon lambskin pads. I would like to try the Eikon suede pads too.

This is my second pair of Eikons. Last time I had the Auteur lambskin pads as well. I would like to try them again.

Apr 20, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #8,937 of 9,763
This is my second pair of Eikons. Last time I had the Auteur lambskin pads as well. I would like to try them again.
First pair of Eikons (limited edition bocote, Eikon lamb skin stock pads) have arrived and are now in use with my Feliks Echo… whoa!

I know there are many wise people who have pointed out that they aren’t exactly a “closed Auteur”, but they certainly are close enough for me (yes, I adore my Auteurs).

I may someday try the Atticus for fun, but not in the near term- or at all… 😁

09FF8A03-EA9B-46B1-A8A8-A7B167EC263D.jpeg

Apr 21, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #8,939 of 9,763
How much sound leakage is there from both Atticus and eikon? Would they be suitable for listening while someone is sleeping in same room at night?
Depends on the volume you listen to, the pad material, and how sensitive the other person is.

Leather leaks less than suede, so leather for sure if isolation is top priority.

They're semi-open headphones, with those large ports around the cups, so there is moderate leakage, though much less than something like DT880/990 or other semi open designs.

At low volume the leakage is pretty minor, unless the person wants absolute silence, you should be ok. Even moderate volume is pretty quiet overall. A lot will come down to the other person's noise tolerance. At moderate-high to high volume they leak pretty good, enough that even my office mates hear them on my head at times when i'm rocking out. But that's at high volume that I only do for short bursts when something comes on that demands i rock out to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back