ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 27, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #7,216 of 9,716
Very true. Differences/faults/etc can only be noticed when one has heard something different.

I recently demo'd and reviewed a fantastic DAC. After I plugged it into my system,the first thing that I noticed was the blackness of the background,and the size of the imaging. I never had any complaints or noticed my current DAC lacking in these areas,until I heard better. Now I can barely stand to listen to my current DAC.

Never has the term 'ignorance is bliss' been more true than in this hobby.
This!

I was happily motoring along with my lower end schiit gear (ie magni/modi), and was able to try a few higher end pieces....it was quite the revelation. my wallet, and relationship with the wifey, will never be the same....

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #7,217 of 9,716
The other guy said that bass wass a little soft with lyr3.. Innthis hobby it is impossible to have 2 identic opinions..

Maybe not bass-soft but not as bass-emphasized? The bass and treble feel stronger out of the Jot vs. Lyr 3. Not sure if this is due to faster transients or a slight V shape to the Jot. To me the Lyr 3 is satisfying in the bass response but perhaps not as fast as the Jot.

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #7,218 of 9,716
Very true. Differences/faults/etc can only be noticed when one has heard something different.

I recently demo'd and reviewed a fantastic DAC. After I plugged it into my system,the first thing that I noticed was the blackness of the background,and the size of the imaging. I never had any complaints or noticed my current DAC lacking in these areas,until I heard better. Now I can barely stand to listen to my current DAC.

Never has the term 'ignorance is bliss' been more true than in this hobby.

What dac are we talking about?

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #7,219 of 9,716
Send me a PM so we keep this thread on track

Jul 27, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #7,220 of 9,716
Jul 27, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #7,221 of 9,716
Maybe not bass-soft but not as bass-emphasized? The bass and treble feel stronger out of the Jot vs. Lyr 3. Not sure if this is due to faster transients or a slight V shape to the Jot. To me the Lyr 3 is satisfying in the bass response but perhaps not as fast as the Jot.

It's been a while since I had the Jot, but I could see your experience being the case.

It might also help if people mentioned what volume they're listening at alongside their impressions. Anything can sound soft when played at a lower (read: healthier, probably less detrimental to one's long-term hearing health) volume -- probably related to the Fletcher-Munson Curve research. When I really crank it on the Lyr 3 though, the bass comes up in big way, and the treble stays clear but pain-free, and the sound just fills out everywhere. I guess this is the experience (and volume level) I was referring to above. For most of my casual listening, I tend to listen at safer, quieter volumes, and then it becomes harder to pinpoint anything truly special in the listening experience. But I've also found myself venturing into unhealthy volume levels a lot more than I should with the Lyr 3, since it's an amp that just invites you to turn it up (with the Atticus, at least), since it never really gets painful, but everything just scales up in size and gravitas, and it lets the Atticus' warm, powerful, but friendly personality do its thang.

But, yes, on the whole, I totally agree with everyone on the ultimately subjective nature of sensory experience and aesthetic taste... But it can also be nice when you find someone else whose experience matches your own and reminds us how we are not alone in what can seem at times like a very solitary journey...

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:12 PM Post #7,223 of 9,716
Jul 27, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #7,224 of 9,716
I don’t think revealing what DAC made the eponymous headphone sound its best is getting off track at all.

Frankly, compared to the directions some of the other threads have taken, it sounds like a track I’d be interested to follow.

:beyersmile:

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #7,225 of 9,716
I don’t think revealing what DAC made the eponymous headphone sound its best is getting off track at all.

Frankly, compared to the directions some of the other threads have taken, it sounds like a track I’d be interested to follow.

:beyersmile:

LOL,ok...you guys asked for it. If you have any further questions please PM me. You can check my YouTube channel(link below)for more info.

Lampizator Atlantic TRP.
Retail 8000.00 Euro.

I bought one. Being built as we speak.

Jul 27, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #7,227 of 9,716
Okay, so a few quick recent impressions about my Atticus (in African Padauk). I've been on a Tull jag most of today, middle career material (Heavy Horses, Crest of a Knave, Broadsword and the Beast). Audio chain is FiiO X5 III > Citypulse Rush series DAC/AMP > Atticus (stock unbalanced cable). No EQ employed.

Normally, I prefer an open (or semi-open) set of cans with this DAC, but it's hot today and my a/c is loud.

Somewhat wider than average sound stage with excellent instrument placement (imaging?). Ian's vocals are crisp and clean, and dead center in my head with the remainder of the sound coming from outside, but still pretty close, if that makes sense. A touch of sibilance, mostly in the left channel, but I think that's the recording, not the cans. Bass is fast and tight, but not overpowering. Mids very accurate, but I am finding the highs to be a bit abrasive (again, I believe this is the nature of the recordings, all are Steven Wilson re-masters). This can easily be tamed by adjusting the EQ.

Comfort-wise, these were made for my head! Cans are not at all fatiguing. My preferences lean toward heavy cans with firm clamp. These are right in my comfort zone. No hot spots and they remain where I placed them despite my moving my head to the music a bit (not head-banging, just some hippy dancin'!) :) I'm on my third hour of listening and I could keep going if I didn't have to leave for a concert in a few mins.

Happy weekend, y'all!!!!

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #7,228 of 9,716
LOL,ok...you guys asked for it. If you have any further questions please PM me. You can check my YouTube channel(link below)for more info.

Lampizator Atlantic TRP.
Retail 8000.00 Euro.

I bought one. Being built as we speak.

People speak of this DAC in mythic terms.

To whatever extent R2R/ladder DACs get traction in the trad audiophile community--this is one name that's always in the conversation.

Jul 27, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #7,229 of 9,716
People speak of this DAC in mythic terms.

To whatever extent R2R/ladder DACs get traction in the trad audiophile community--this is one name that's always in the conversation.

Yeah,Lampizators sound phenomenal. Im quite lucky to get a chance to own one.
Being an R2R guy,I was quite surprised to find out the TRP,which was just released in April of 2019,is a D/S design

They do have a DAC that doesnt require the sale of a kidney to own,the Amber 3.
I will be doing a review of it soon.

Jul 28, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #7,230 of 9,716

Users who are viewing this thread

Back