ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 25, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #7,202 of 9,714
I just received the Atty yesterday, along with the Euphoria, I should have a better idea by the middle of next week.

Jul 25, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #7,204 of 9,714
I just received the Atty yesterday, along with the Euphoria, I should have a better idea by the middle of next week.
Outstanding combination. It was the Atticus - Euphoria that I demoed at Upscale Audio that got me hooked on both ZMF and Feliks. That said .. it was also running through the $6000 PS Audio DAC which was phenomenal. The PS Audio-Euphoria-Atticus synergy was incredible

Jul 26, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #7,205 of 9,714
Outstanding combination. It was the Atticus - Euphoria that I demoed at Upscale Audio that got me hooked on both ZMF and Feliks. That said .. it was also running through the $6000 PS Audio DAC which was phenomenal. The PS Audio-Euphoria-Atticus synergy was incredible

I ended up ordering the echo... I trusted you! I hope not to get disappointed otherwise you will give me your meze lol

Jul 26, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #7,206 of 9,714
I ended up ordering the echo... I trusted you! I hope not to get disappointed otherwise you will give me your meze lol
The Echo is fantastic. It goes toe to toe with my Mjolnir 2 which is a more expensive and highly regarded amp. It's also $1,000 less than the Elise. A LOT of bang for the buck.

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #7,208 of 9,714
Curious to hear your thoughts on how it will compare to the espressivo mkii, you just sold?

Jul 26, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #7,209 of 9,714
Curious to hear your thoughts on how it will compare to the espressivo mkii, you just sold?

i am curious too.
i sold the espressivo to a viscious guy in order to buy that totl hand made italian otl amp i talked to you about.
that amp was the best i have ever tried. aeolus was incredible... with a balanced source can drive even hek at his full potential, i drove lcd4 and it was made in heaven.
but it was really big and even if it was a little better than espressivo it wasnt 800euros better you know that i mean, also i couldnt keep it in my small house. also i managed to sell it at 250euros more than what i paid for it.
in the meantime i sold the aeolus because i wanted to try atticus with an otl amp since i noted that the difference between driving with a solid state and an otl , to my ears, is night and day. ,the viscious guy contacted me telling me that he wanted to sell the espressivo because he didnt use it. i said no problem i buy it back.. but this mother *** e r wanted to sell it back higher than he paid from me!!! true story! i told him to go fxxx his mother.
so i paid for a woo audio wa6se used from an italian site... but it was a scam, the guy took my money and disappeared. now i have to go to the police .. but i wont get my money back.
now the only otl amp that i trust and that i can afford is the echo, because i wouldnt buy the espressivo back from that guy even if it was the last otl amp in the world.
i thought that atticus would have taken more to get built but yesterday the notification of shipping popped up in my email. atticus will arrive before echo..
i think god is trying to teach me a lesson here.
in the meantime, i bought a sundara from amazon so i can send it back within 30 days and a meze to try and resell it. too expensive to keep. i will get a magni3 to drive this two hps while my otl set up is built.
this is the story of my last few days.

ps feliks is one of the most decent man i have ever dealt with. in this hobby you often find yourself making a lot of questions and then dont buy anything.
he has been super responsive and i felt almost guilty non to buy the echo. at first i was into elise but from what i read echo has more punch and i dont ilisten to classical etc. not to mention that the scam costed me 550euros so my amp budget sucks. i want a raw experience with my atticus.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #7,210 of 9,714
^^^^^ my head is spinning yo

Anyways an amazing album through my setup is Steve Earle’s “Train A Comin’“ with Norman Blake and Peter Rowan (and even a little Emmylou Harris). The acoustic instruments (vintage Martins and Gibsons) sound so full and rich. It’s probably the closest I’m ever going to get to being a fly perched on Norm’s D-18. To me this is what ZMF cans are all about. ZMF + tubes = acoustic bliss.

Jul 26, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #7,211 of 9,714
^^^^^ my head is spinning yo

Anyways an amazing album through my setup is Steve Earle’s “Train A Comin’“ with Norman Blake and Peter Rowan (and even a little Emmylou Harris). The acoustic instruments (vintage Martins and Gibsons) sound so full and rich. It’s probably the closest I’m ever going to get to being a fly perched on Norm’s D-18. To me this is what ZMF cans are all about. ZMF + tubes = acoustic bliss.

I always thought the HD800 sounded so good with tubes and it did, and the Atticus is the same way....I could listen to it night and day with tubes and never get fatigued!
For me , it is a headphone that punches well above it price point, like one of Glenn's OTL amps...the Atticus is a gem for sure.

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #7,212 of 9,714
DSC02777-1-1.jpg DSC02774-1-1.jpg
It may be new toy syndrome, but think both the Jotuheim and Lyr 3 sound great with the Atticus. I can't tell which amp pairing I like more.

Initially, I most preferred the snap/slam of the Jotunheim. It really controls the bass very well. However I'm starting to appreciate the Lyr 3 pairing more and more. I have the Tung Sol tube, but have been planning to get some other tubes to test. The Lyr 3 adds a bit of extra crunch to electric guitars and more detail in the treble. The sound stage is already pretty wide on the Atticus, but the Lyr 3 definitely expands it vs. the Jotunheim. I'm curious how these would sound out of an OTL amp.

Jul 27, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #7,213 of 9,714

It may be new toy syndrome, but think both the Jotuheim and Lyr 3 sound great with the Atticus. I can't tell which amp pairing I like more.

Initially, I most preferred the snap/slam of the Jotunheim. It really controls the bass very well. However I'm starting to appreciate the Lyr 3 pairing more and more. I have the Tung Sol tube, but have been planning to get some other tubes to test. The Lyr 3 adds a bit of extra crunch to electric guitars and more detail in the treble. The sound stage is already pretty wide on the Atticus, but the Lyr 3 definitely expands it vs. the Jotunheim. I'm curious how these would sound out of an OTL amp.

Gonna chime in here on the virtues of the Atticus - Lyr 3 pairing, especially with the Tung Sol tube. It's not an idiosyncratic amp that has a particular defining feature or character, but it also doesn't do anything wrong -- just supplies a ton of power, with just a bit of liquidity, and lets the music shine. For me, it lets the Atticus be the best version of itself. Images are huge and crystal clear, yet nicely detailed; bass is authoritative and weighty; mids shine with realism and body; treble is crystalline without being strident. Listening to Gary Clark Jr., for example, puts you THERE at the stadium, and makes you just want to crank the volume. For around $400, it's tremendous bang for the buck. It's put my upgrade journey on hold for quite a while!

Jul 27, 2019 at 2:38 PM Post #7,214 of 9,714
Gonna chime in here on the virtues of the Atticus - Lyr 3 pairing, especially with the Tung Sol tube. It's not an idiosyncratic amp that has a particular defining feature or character, but it also doesn't do anything wrong -- just supplies a ton of power, with just a bit of liquidity, and lets the music shine. For me, it lets the Atticus be the best version of itself. Images are huge and crystal clear, yet nicely detailed; bass is authoritative and weighty; mids shine with realism and body; treble is crystalline without being strident. Listening to Gary Clark Jr., for example, puts you THERE at the stadium, and makes you just want to crank the volume. For around $400, it's tremendous bang for the buck. It's put my upgrade journey on hold for quite a while!

The other guy said that bass wass a little soft with lyr3.. Innthis hobby it is impossible to have 2 identic opinions..

Jul 27, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #7,215 of 9,714
The other guy said that bass wass a little soft with lyr3.. Innthis hobby it is impossible to have 2 identic opinions..

Very true. Differences/faults/etc can only be noticed when one has heard something different.

I recently demo'd and reviewed a fantastic DAC. After I plugged it into my system,the first thing that I noticed was the blackness of the background,and the size of the imaging. I never had any complaints or noticed my current DAC lacking in these areas,until I heard better. Now I can barely stand to listen to my current DAC.

Never has the term 'ignorance is bliss' been more true than in this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back