ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Jul 30, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #7,246 of 9,714
Sidebar question btw, what is the weakest point on these? Like, MOST headphones i've owned have an extremely weak point around where the headband meets the cup or hangar or whatever, where even extremely expensive headphones inexplicably use plastic (*ahem* Shure...*ahem*), LOOKS to be metal in this case (don't have mine yet). Since I am a KING at unintentionally breaking headbands (I've broken headbands of: senns, th-x00, Shure, MrSpeakers), just wondering.

Jul 30, 2019 at 4:24 AM Post #7,247 of 9,714
Hey there people.

A question for the owners of ZMF cables: are there any microphonics?

I’m thinking about an Atmos S or Michanikos for a universal solution for at home or on the go use. I think cables make subtle differences to sound, so mainly interested in the functionality of it, and I hate microphonics! :)

Jul 30, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #7,248 of 9,714
Jul 30, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #7,249 of 9,714
Thanks guys. They do knock your eyes out. Great midrange sound through Norne Einvaldi cable. Trevor has a layered S3 winging its way to me for my ZMF headphones.
At 71, you learn to enjoy your midrange. Lots of hours of break in ahead.
Hey there people.

I’m thinking about an Atmos S or Michanikos for a universal solution for at home or on the go use. I think cables make subtle differences to sound, so mainly interested in the functionality of it, and I hate microphonics! :)
In my experience (several ZMF models, all using the stock cables), there is precisely ZERO microphonics.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #7,250 of 9,714
Sidebar question btw, what is the weakest point on these? Like, MOST headphones i've owned have an extremely weak point around where the headband meets the cup or hangar or whatever, where even extremely expensive headphones inexplicably use plastic (*ahem* Shure...*ahem*), LOOKS to be metal in this case (don't have mine yet). Since I am a KING at unintentionally breaking headbands (I've broken headbands of: senns, th-x00, Shure, MrSpeakers), just wondering.
I have the Atticus, and upon close inspection, I find no plastic whatsoever. Zach and team really engineered these things to withstand heavy use (or in your case, abuse? j/k). I really can't find any weak points. My only suggestion would be that, when putting them on and taking them off, take some care so as not to overextend the cups/yokes swivel points. I think I've seen a few postings where putting too much stress here has damaged the wood. See pic below, in case my description of the area is not quite clear.

atticus.jpg

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #7,252 of 9,714
Hey there people.

My stock, OFC and 2k cables have zero microphonics. My atmos c is minimally microphonic. I don't have a Michanikos.

Jul 30, 2019 at 9:53 AM Post #7,253 of 9,714

They are very solidly built. Not too much to worry about, but it dos need SOME care obviously. The various screws can & will come loose over time, and occasionally will need to be tightened with loctite or something similar.

There is also a video Zach posted about bending the headband, which is quite robust but can break if over done.
Here's the video of the right way to bend the headband:

You should be good for a long time to come though...enjoy!

Jul 30, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #7,254 of 9,714
I have the Atticus, and upon close inspection, I find no plastic whatsoever. Zach and team really engineered these things to withstand heavy use (or in your case, abuse? j/k). I really can't find any weak points. My only suggestion would be that, when putting them on and taking them off, take some care so as not to overextend the cups/yokes swivel points. I think I've seen a few postings where putting too much stress here has damaged the wood. See pic below, in case my description of the area is not quite clear.

OH i Thought i saw that in the videos/pics, there's actually grooves in the wood, yea over extension can be bad. My usual issue is that wearing them obviously puts pressure on the joints. Anyways, that's amazing to hear no plastic, and the way it's constructed seems to be really well done, keeping in mind the various pressures a headphone band would encounter whilst being worn and proper distribution etc. Can't wait to get mine, but already impressed.

They are very solidly built. Not too much to worry about, but it dos need SOME care obviously. The various screws can & will come loose over time, and occasionally will need to be tightened with loctite or something similar.

There is also a video Zach posted about bending the headband, which is quite robust but can break if over done.
OOH I saw the headband video before thanks. Also: tightened with a glue....not like an allen wrench?

Jul 30, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #7,255 of 9,714
OOH I saw the headband video before thanks. Also: tightened with a glue....not like an allen wrench?
Yes you need the proper head to tighten it, but it can be over tightened, the screw can slip into the headphone as there is no stop. Loctite works very well for this.

Jul 30, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #7,256 of 9,714
Jul 30, 2019 at 5:48 PM Post #7,257 of 9,714
Jul 30, 2019 at 6:36 PM Post #7,258 of 9,714
Welcome! BTW, love your handle!!!!!
Yeah I loves me this album :wink:

I should have a 2nd hand Eikon on the way in the mail, but only includes the stock cable with XLR termination. I’ll probably get a shorter Michanikos with 2.5mm plug to use for portable/office use. I say “should have” an Eikon on the way as it’s via an eBay sale that seems too good to be true. But it’s covered by the eBay guarantee so I figured it was worth taking a risk.

In any case a ZMF headphone has been on my wishlist for a long time, and Audeze have the same jacks, so the cable will definitely get future use at some stage if the sale falls through.

Thanks for the input everyone :)

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #7,259 of 9,714
Good luck with the eBay thing. I scan it daily for reasonable deals. That's how I found the Blackwoods.

Jul 30, 2019 at 8:41 PM Post #7,260 of 9,714
Yeah I loves me this album :wink:

I should have a 2nd hand Eikon on the way in the mail, but only includes the stock cable with XLR termination. I’ll probably get a shorter Michanikos with 2.5mm plug to use for portable/office use. I say “should have” an Eikon on the way as it’s via an eBay sale that seems too good to be true. But it’s covered by the eBay guarantee so I figured it was worth taking a risk.

In any case a ZMF headphone has been on my wishlist for a long time, and Audeze have the same jacks, so the cable will definitely get future use at some stage if the sale falls through.

Thanks for the input everyone :)

So one thing I was wondering was, if I should get a 4.4mm/2.5mm cable for portable/office use OR just buy a MUCH cheaper XLR4 to 4.4mm connector and use that instead...what do you all think? The advantage here is - 2.5mm for example is VERY flimsy, and if it snaps off then all i lose is a $30 - $50 interconnect instead of a $200+ cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back