ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 29, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #6,481 of 9,714
I never talked about making HD800 like AQ Nighthwaks.
I said EQ is the part of your chain like DACs/AMPs. Can you make HD800 like AQ Nighthwaks with DACs/AMPs? Of course not!
You totally misunderstood.
I believe it is you that misunderstood. Those were examples given to highlight and reinforce the statement that followed: "The physical nature of the drivers and cups resist [EQ]." As such, there quickly comes a point where EQ fights against the physical nature of the headphone, and therefore, will always sound inferior.

Look... EQ if you want to. There's no skin off my back if you do. Further, I actually think your point that EQ has its place in an audio chain is somewhat valid if you are correcting down, never up, and only in small amounts. What I don't buy, and never will, is that EQ is a means of fixing bad headphones. It's not a magic bullet. It's not going to turn water into wine. It won't make the M50X into an HD800. All of the things your posts seem to insinuate is possible with EQ.

Further, your dismissal of other people's EQ experiences as "you are using a crappy EQ software", and "It's ridiculously unreasonable and irrational" were straight up offensive. Clearly there is no room in the conversation for anyone's opinion but your own with those types of comments, which is why I decided to fire back with my own argument. Keep in mind - everyone's experiences will be different, and that this is a very subjective hobby. Also, try to remember that this isn't reddit (the armpit of the audiophile community), and being toxic and unyielding with others won't earn you brownie points here like it does there.

Thank you for your time. Enjoy your day.

~fin~

(Edited post above for truthfulness)

First, if my words were offensive, then I apologize for them.

But you still miss points, and generalize your comments as truth. Of course, each headphone has its own physical limit when it comes to EQ. But some headphones respond really well to EQ and has larger room to it. You can't say that you can only make small tweaks. There is larger room for EQ with some high-end headphones.

You are saying that EQ will distort sounds, but many audio professional will disagree. For instance, Bob Katz across his several blog posts advocated some parametric EQ like DMG Equilibrium, as it does not distort sound at all and extremely transparent. In fact, I disagreed with him when I used a free EQ software because I clearly heard distortions. But now I believe him after I switched to DMG equilibrium. If you are saying sounds from EQ are always inferior, I would say that is dead inaccurate.

Of course, this is very YMMV situation. Some headphones may not play well with EQ. What I want to emphasize is that you cannot say that sounds from EQ are always inferior. Sometimes, EQ can be a better solution than any other DACs/AMPs, but sometimes not. This is why I keep saying EQ is the part of your chain like AMP/DACs, and give them equal chances for improvements.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #6,483 of 9,714
Hostility to EQ from tube amp users always seems curious to me. (But more generally, just: everyone tweak your sound as you like?)

I don't use EQ myself but if you like the way it sounds who cares. Distortion if that distortion sounds good to you go for it.
It's your ears your phones in your house. I don't know of any EQ or distortion police except maybe on head-fi.

Oct 29, 2018 at 9:23 PM Post #6,484 of 9,714
Ooh lawd it's gettin spicy in here.

Let's all remember the cardinal audiophile rule: if it sounds good to you, that's all that matters.

Personally, I avoid EQ because
1) I listen to vinyl a lot and there's no EQ for that. You can say "oh, there's analog EQ" but analog EQ goes against my personal philosophy of placing more caps in the signal path then there needs to be; I find DC-coupled amps, crossover-less or actively crossed speakers, etc sound the clearest and cleanest (exception goes to OTL amps, <3 my Crack)
2) I really like the way my system sounds already

I can imagine that there are a lot of people for whom the HD800 is very close to ideal in every aspect but for some needs a little nudge in terms of FR. That's very easy to imagine, because the HD800 does a lot of things uniquely well but also drops the ball in some spots. And because it responds to EQ perfectly well, and they can't tell the difference between EQed and non-EQed sound quality and strongly prefer the EQed FR, someone on the internet telling them they're wrong sounds completely absurd. Same goes for any other headphone although not all respond to EQ the same.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #6,485 of 9,714
Y'all I might be drunk as hell but this band is blowing my mind. It's like uh... tribal viking music combined with tuvan throat singing? if a tuvan throat singer joined a scandinavian metal band from 1200 years ago? ok I'm doing a bad job but it's good and it looks like one hell of a show. if you can get some good quality rips it sounds crazy on the Atticus. the drums and vocals sound perfect, the intimate sense of space like you are in the room. Not a super dynamic recording but the tone is gorgeous.

Oct 29, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #6,487 of 9,714
BTW, this may be off topic, but can someone direct me to the Atticus & Eikon thread?
On topic: The Eikons are great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 1:55 AM Post #6,488 of 9,714
Hostility to EQ from tube amp users always seems curious to me. (But more generally, just: everyone tweak your sound as you like?)
That’s a good point! I’ll also jump in and say that while I don’t use EQ myself it’s not because of quality concerns, I just don’t want to fuss with EQ for different tracks and albums and headphones. EQ definitely DOES work - and work well - to correct minor issues with some headphones, like the HD800. If it didn’t, companies like Sonarworks wouldn’t exist. I would like to see some Sonarworks profiles for the ZMF cans as well - although given they’re all prefect for what they do, I guess we won’t nees it :)

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2018 at 1:26 PM Post #6,489 of 9,714
That’s a good point! I’ll also jump in and say that while I don’t use EQ myself it’s not because of quality concerns, I just don’t want to fuss with EQ for different tracks and albums and headphones. EQ definitely DOES work - and work well - to correct minor issues with some headphones, like the HD800. If it didn’t, companies like Sonarworks wouldn’t exist. I would like to see some Sonarworks profiles for the ZMF cans as well - although given they’re all prefect for what they do, I guess we won’t nees it :)

Yeah, EQ can be quite fussy, especially if you aren't always listening at or near a computer. (Also, just to clarify, I think tubes are great!)

Oct 31, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #6,493 of 9,714
Got my LTD cocobolo Eikon today... my new favorite overall closed back headphone. Pics below:
6skbWJn.jpg

KxhMWIB.jpg

PtiTp2o.jpg

Oct 31, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #6,494 of 9,714
Got my LTD cocobolo Eikon today... my new favorite overall closed back headphone. Pics below:
6skbWJn.jpg

KxhMWIB.jpg

PtiTp2o.jpg

(sound of drool hitting my keyboard)

Coco is really beautiful. My Eikon is padauk, also beautiful. Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Eikon...I'm crazy about mine & have said so in this thread on several occasions.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:19 PM Post #6,495 of 9,714
I just ordered a pair of Eikons from ZMF!!!

@zach915m and @BooUrns !!! Thank you so much for a great buying experience and taking the time to answer my questions. I can't wait to officially join the ZMF club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back