ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Oct 31, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #6,496 of 9,714
I just ordered a pair of Eikons from ZMF!!!

@zach915m and @BooUrns !!! Thank you so much for a great buying experience and taking the time to answer my questions. I can't wait to officially join the ZMF club.

Nice!! Thanks @gc335 Was great to talk to you and glad you and Zach zeroed in on what you were looking for! :)

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 31, 2018 at 5:08 PM Post #6,497 of 9,714
These b-stock eikon are b-eautiful. Love the Camphor wood!

eik 1.jpg
eik 2.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #6,502 of 9,714

WA2 and WA6SE! Please allow me to pick your brain!

I have been debating those two amps endlessly trying to decide between the two. I need an amp that sounds great with the Atticus and Auteur and, ideally, can drive planars like the LCD-X. Can you give some advice about which one you would recommend?

Nov 2, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #6,503 of 9,714

I love how different the Cocobolo can be. Mine look almost orangish.

I have been debating those two amps endlessly trying to decide between the two. I need an amp that sounds great with the Atticus and Auteur and, ideally, can drive planars like the LCD-X. Can you give some advice about which one you would recommend?

Wa2 is great with the Atticus/Auteurs, but it's not really a good match with planars.

I've not heard the WA6SE, but it's transformer coupled and should be more versatile than an OTL amp.

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #6,504 of 9,714

I've used the WA6-SE with the Auteur and a HE-560, both sounded great with it. Although I discovered that with 13EM7 tubes and auteur pads the Auteur sounded too aggressive and treble-heavybut that was easily fixed with different tubes. I also prefer the eikon pads on the auteur.

Nov 2, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #6,505 of 9,714
Wa2 is great with the Atticus/Auteurs, but it's not really a good match with planars.

I've not heard the WA6SE, but it's transformer coupled and should be more versatile than an OTL amp.

That is the prevailing wisdom. I'm wondering if the Auteur/Atticus with the WA22 would make me not care about not being able to use the planars. A hard question to answer for another person, I understand. The WA2 is just soooo pretty and I could get an inexpensive hybrid later for my planars. Something like the Ember II.

I've used the WA6-SE with the Auteur and a HE-560, both sounded great with it. Although I discovered that with 13EM7 tubes and auteur pads the Auteur sounded too aggressive and treble-heavybut that was easily fixed with different tubes. I also prefer the eikon pads on the auteur.

Oooh... I do love my 560. Thanks!

Nov 2, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #6,506 of 9,714
The La Figaro 339 does the Atticus and HE-500 very well.

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #6,507 of 9,714
So, I've had my Eikon for a few days and am finding them very enjoyable to listen to, but every now and then I find something that doesn't sound the same as on my other hp's. There seems to be some sort of channel imbalance, like the Right channel is slightly hollow and recessed in the low to mid frequencies but has crazy-clear imaging in the higher frequencies. Strange thing is, I don't hear it all the time. Meanwhile, the Left channel seems to be functioning like a champ, but on some songs that have center vocal it is slightly to the left.

I suspect maybe some damping material is out of place or the right driver is being naughty. Switching back and forth, I don't hear this issue on my KSC75, but it is very subtle.

I'm almost tempted to open up the right cup and check it myself, but I'm certain that is a no-no.

Edit 12/29: After some extended listening and testing, these hp are fine. Maybe my hearing is borked..or I wasn't used to their crazy imaging properties. Regardless, I am seriously never letting these Eikons go. I am just as attached to them for their sound as their versatility/looks/comfort.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #6,508 of 9,714
So, I've had my Eikon for a few days and am finding them very enjoyable to listen to, but every now and then I find something that doesn't sound the same as on my other hp's. There seems to be some sort of channel imbalance, like the Right channel is slightly hollow and recessed in the low to mid frequencies but has crazy-clear imaging in the higher frequencies. Strange thing is, I don't hear it all the time. Meanwhile, the Left channel seems to be functioning like a champ, but on some songs that have center vocal it is slightly to the left.

I suspect maybe some damping material is out of place or the right driver is being naughty. Switching back and forth, I don't hear this issue on my KSC75, but it is very subtle.

I'm almost tempted to open up the right cup and check it myself, but I'm certain that is a no-no.
Just email Zach before you do anything. =) This really is your path of least resistance on getting issues fixed.

Nov 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #6,509 of 9,714
Nov 5, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #6,510 of 9,714
This is going to be a long shot, but has anyone who owns the Eikon/Atticus ever heard the Dunu DN2002 IEMs? I imagine the Atticus to sound something like them (although obviously the Atticus will be better from a technical standpoint) from everything I've read, and would like to see if this is true. They both have slightly rolled off treble, a mid bass hump, but sub bass presence, and can have over-bearing bass at times.

From there.. I imagine the Eikon to have lowered mid bass but elevated sub bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back