ATTICUS and EIKON, the new dynamic driver headphones from ZMF
Nov 6, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,711 of 9,711
+1, I agree with you as I have heard the Atticus as well as having several other Fostex variants. The Atticus is just tuned differently, to deliver less sub bass, and more mid bass. Just depends on preferences, your gears will also determine which is best for you!

I'll probably be put in the Tower of London for saying this, but when I finally heard sub-bass on headphones (my TX-00s, since sold; and the Eikon, which has plenty)--I actually cared less about it than I'd expected:
  • It's certainly nice to have that little subsonic shimmer when all hell is breaking loose in entire bass range and other frequencies (ie, sub-bass is part of big music of some kind--and the headphone is capable of giveing all of it to you).
  • But when sub-bass is the star of the show (some electronic music, other demo stuff bassheads love/trade to each other), it does less for me. Sure, it's kind of exhilarating to have headphones vibrate my head like a big melon--but the sub-bass experience by itself isn't that important to me.

I'll trade a little sub-bass for full-bass range quality any day. For example, the E-Mu Teaks (on the right amp) have spectacular bass--which doesn't happen to contain very much sub-bass (yet it sounds extremely wonderful). Same w/the ZMF Ori. The ZMF Eikon is one of those headphones that really does give you ALL of...sub-bass and everything else. It's a very special headphone in that sense.

Last year I purchased one of the true basshead-approved headphones of recent years (JVC HA-SZ1000). With the right amplification, it did sub-bass to an insane degree, shaking my head like a bell. But it didn't do other things that were more important to me, namely: comfort, predictable/pleasing repro of other frequencies; even, balanced nature; and sounding "musical," so reluctantly I sold them.

BTW, I met a lot of very nice and interesting folks on the JVC & basshead threads. But I eventually realized that I need something a little different.

Nov 6, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #4,712 of 9,711
The Atticus has really good bass extension. It's just that the mid bass is a little more prominent than the Eikon, which has a boost in the sub bass with a flatter mid bass.

Nov 6, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #4,713 of 9,711
The Atticus has really good bass extension. It's just that the mid bass is a little more prominent than the Eikon, which has a boost in the sub bass with a flatter mid bass.

I was under the impression that the sub-bass quantity was pretty much on par, but it's more evident with Eikon because it's not 'masked' by the mid bass hump. (edit: if my memory serves, this was from Zach, although I can't find the post)

Maybe two ways of saying the same thing... I don't have much experience with the Atticus myself to compare. I'd enjoy some more talk about this.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #4,714 of 9,711
I'll probably be put in the Tower of London for saying this, but when I finally heard sub-bass on headphones (my TX-00s, since sold; and the Eikon, which has plenty)--I actually cared less about it than I'd expected:
  • It's certainly nice to have that little subsonic shimmer when all hell is breaking loose in entire bass range and other frequencies (ie, sub-bass is part of big music of some kind--and the headphone is capable of giveing all of it to you).
  • But when sub-bass is the star of the show (some electronic music, other demo stuff bassheads love/trade to each other), it does less for me. Sure, it's kind of exhilarating to have headphones vibrate my head like a big melon--but the sub-bass experience by itself isn't that important to me.

I'll trade a little sub-bass for full-bass range quality any day. For example, the E-Mu Teaks (on the right amp) have spectacular bass--which doesn't happen to contain very much sub-bass (yet it sounds extremely wonderful). Same w/the ZMF Ori. The ZMF Eikon is one of those headphones that really does give you ALL of...sub-bass and everything else. It's a very special headphone in that sense.

Last year I purchased one of the true basshead-approved headphones of recent years (JVC HA-SZ1000). With the right amplification, it did sub-bass to an insane degree, shaking my head like a bell. But it didn't do other things that were more important to me, namely: comfort, predictable/pleasing repro of other frequencies; even, balanced nature; and sounding "musical," so reluctantly I sold them.

BTW, I met a lot of very nice and interesting folks on the JVC & basshead threads. But I eventually realized that I need something a little different.

That is very nice of you to include some of your history/ experience jumping into the "basshead" threads and participating, so you get a feel for the pros/cons.
The dream of the head-fi basshead is to have a few audiophile grade level cans that can play basshead genre music.
For example Metal571 in his review praised the sub bass extention and slam. The word slam does something to bassheads, and then ofc breeds curiosity into
the capability of the driver. Tyll gave a somewhat less favorable impression on the lower end extension tightness, but to be fair he listens at low volume. He's still
a bad-a$$ though, and gets into the thick of things with his measurement rig, though it may not be perfect, he's not shy to get into the heated areas.
simpsons-fire-gif.gif

Hawaiibadboy when EQ'ing doesn't "boost" like some think. He "cuts" which isolates the sub-bass frequencies to test the driver;s
capabilities. Without such work, no one would really have known how much of a HAMMER the th-900 is. It was ranked #2 for so long. I'll keep the tactile transducer KANNON
out of this, or some purists would probably blow a valve :p Multi-driver talk (things like Bluedio UFO PRO PLUS, SZ2000) seems to go in and out of audiophile ears.
But knowing how much a driver can take (power) and stability at high volume (no sub-bass rattles). This is to show how far it can go, and where to stop. This information
is so valuable. So so valuable, and makes heros like the gentleman @DonChuy with his Z1R. He is a hero to many bassheads. The sad thing, was people were saying the Z1R when challenged
wasn't a "bassheaD" level can. The hero stepped up and showed them yes, it is TOTL Audiophile level, and BASSHEAD. Huzzah for the shopkeep!

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

(...finally found this one ^) :D

But to know a 50mm Biocellulose driver, audiophile grade can, beat out a BASS HEAVY 70mm xb1000 for example, should excite both audiophiles/bassheads.
Now, the th900 ranked #2 (taking into account KANNON not included). th-X00 was 4 or 5, can't remember. Now if they're both 50mm biocellulose, then why would one be
#2, and one #4/5. Well, I would imagine the magnet strength, and stiffness (what do the acoustic engineers call it Young's Modulus or w/e... elastic modulus...) of diaphragm has something to do with it.
In the r10 threads, it was mentioned something like 18+ kN/mm2 or 18GPA+, and the cd3000 ("baby r10" with less, in the r10 threads posted 8-10 KN/mm2 or GPa). These figures are in the r10 owners thread,
and when posted, undisputed, and i would imagine correct. Surely, the th900 would probably have higher elastic modulus than the th-X00. I am not playing Mr. Acoustic Engineer, Material R&D scientist. I am
encouraging more specifications related research so the confusion is lessened. E.g with the r10/baby r10 example, there are possiby some reasons why the bass is
tighter/ accurate (due to increased stiffness in diaphragm). When the controversy on the cd3000 drivers being same was brought up, people had to dig and go
into trenches to see they were not same even though both were biocellulose. And this is probably same with the th-900, th-600, th-X00/ e-mu TEAK etc. I'm not making
statements, but encouragment into comparing other specifications/ details about the magnetic power, composition of the diaphragm. To keep saying all biocell perform
at the same level is nonsensical. Its like the cans trying to ride the Utopia Beryllium train. But slowly, its been stated many of those drivers were coated with Beryllium.

0Jyl6.gif

So i encourage the reviewers (professional and non-professionals) to get into the nitty gritty and dig deeper into the differences of how the different materials
are playing a role, the magnetic strength, housings etc so we can learn more, and not just stick to superlatives. Many do, and i bet it takes ages to compile that info.
If you speak of superior pistonic movement in a review, or stiff diaphragm, or materials that damp, ... then get into the nitty gritty and explain why and how they work. Some points are relative, so they require spec comparisons on stiffness, magnets etc. Keep safe and have fun, and look forward to more interesting points on audio/headphones etc :D @zach915m obviously has won the
praise of guys like Tyll, Steve Guttenburgh, Metal571, Z Reviews, etc etc all reviewers I enjoy so for bassheads its not challenging whether its a good headphone. Its clear the Eikon/Atticus
is a winner, and the Auteur looks fabulous. This is a cry from bassheads hungry for another TOTL biocellulose that can survive and squeeze into HBB Basshead list. He should definitely get a set
to test, and have analyze like the bass scientist he is. Thank you

group-hug-gif-13.gif

Peace and Blessings :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #4,719 of 9,711

Yeah. This.

chuckle-gif-20.gif

I had a good chuckle with nice gifs. SOrry English not my native language. Did I say too many wrong things? Instead make gif war :p , just point out which part you disagree to further a discussion.

I thought with the creator of headphone in this thread, he would provide details which will be hard to find elsewhere. :)

Also, if that blew your mind in negative way, you might be taking it a little too seriously :wink:

Nov 6, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4,720 of 9,711
We currently have people who haven't heard the headphone telling owners of the headphone what the headphone actually sounds like. Posts that don't contribute in any meaningful way club readers over the head with mountains of text and pics. People asking for comparisons against every known type of dac/amp combo humanly possible...

I think all the good that could be said in this thread was done long ago.

Unsubscribed. GL everyone.

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #4,722 of 9,711
We currently have people who haven't heard the headphone telling owners of the headphone what the headphone actually sounds like. Posts that don't contribute in any meaningful way club readers over the head with mountains of text and pics. People asking for comparisons against every known type of dac/amp combo humanly possible...

I think all the good that could be said in this thread was done long ago.

Unsubscribed. GL everyone.

Review from Enjoythemusic.com

"Like the Sony R10, the Eikon uses a biocellulose diaphragm – an organic material that yields a driver with extremely low distortion levels and excellent attack and decay properties."

I have asked a few times if the material is even the same, because one is a patented process. If they are not the same, then
the specifications and properties of the material cannot be the same. This is what i want to know. How the r10, th-900, and ZMF Eikon driver are
with numbers. What is wrong with that? Biocellulose drivers have different specs/properties. Different magnetic strength.

"Getting into the individual frequency ranges, the bass on the Eikon is nicely extended, with a powerful sub-bass presence. Still, the decay is quick and accurate, making this headphone just as good for EDM as it is for classical."

Modern EDM/Hip Hop with many sub-boosted frequencies below 30hz require drivers that can handle sub 30 without rattles
at high volume. I have not one can that can do both. So this says it can do both. What is wrong to question this?

"Paired with my Acoustic Research M2 DAP and my Wells Milo solid-state amplifier ($1699), I felt like the thunderous bass of the Atticus got a little excessive at times, dominating the song."

Thunderous is a word that will make a basshead curious. If it is thunderous, those are the type of cans the basshead thread looks for. Its ability to move air 50hz and below without distortion
, especially sub 30hz. Modern music is screwey looey, but it is what it is. Heavy bass in popular songs. This should not offend.

"Both headphones ought to be extremely popular with fans of electronic music: the Eikon for its phenomenal sub-bass performance, detailed sound and spacious feel, and the Atticus for its engaging signature and thunderous mid-bass punch."

What is a basshead to think when reading such a thing? Thunderdous, phenomenal sub-bass. Those are words applied to Z1R/Th-900/DX1k/2k. So what is wrong to ask?

I use gif to express as my language limited , and helps show that it is in good humor :) Sorry if it hurt you.

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #4,723 of 9,711
I had a good chuckle with nice gifs. SOrry English not my native language. Did I say too many wrong things? Instead make gif war :p , just point out which part you disagree to further a discussion.
I thought with the creator of headphone in this thread, he would provide details which will be hard to find elsewhere. :)
Also, if that blew your mind in negative way, you might be taking it a little too seriously :wink:

Nah, I was just joking around with ya. No offense taken by me or meant by me in the reply. :)

Nov 6, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #4,724 of 9,711
Nah, I was just joking around with ya. No offense taken by me or meant by me in the reply. :)

Ok good. I sent apology emails to you and ProfFalkin.

Maybe this headphone business gets to me at times. I will reduce the long rants and excessive gifs. Lesson learned.

But i do encourage discussion on some of my points. I think not all of it is completely cuckoo. Maybe some , but not all.

Hunting for cans and going into threads is like gunslingers meeting at a Saloon and having dispute on efficiency of their prized gun. I knew this coming in. Talking about specs can raise temperatures quickly. Some of my favorite cans have taken beatings as well, and yeah it stings a bit :)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back