ATTENTION ALL HIPHOP PPL - Help Me Find a Headphone?
Mar 1, 2011 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FreeDurCows

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I've been constantly looking through your forums and finally decided to break the ice by getting a pair of headphones.

Heres my story so far: I really really really wanted a pair of Dre Beats. I know how these headphones are regarded in your forum community, so please not hater comments :) Honest to truth, they looked great, sounded great and are endorsed by one of my favourite music artist: Dr.Dre. I'm a hip-hop, rap, punk, rock and some pop kinda guy, and according to all these Youtube and CNET reviews, they'd literally breathe life into my ears. Great.

But then I heard that the fake ones literally sound the same as the real ones with a lower price tag; it just accounts for if you could get the good quality sounding ones and not just replicas to pass by. These are literally everywhere: eBay, Amazon, Kijiji or Craigslist. I was about to get the Studios when I came across your site, Head-Fi.

I'm not the greatest expert on headphones, but I do know basic information on them. I moved from Dre Beats, to fake ones, to the Sennheiser 595's, to the Senheiser HD 600, then to possibly modding a Superlux 668B then to the ATH-M50(s) and then I was stuck between the ATH-M50 and the AKG K701 or 2. I decided on the ATH-M50 becasue I wasn't going to plan to buy an amp anyways.

Now that I look back at the Beats Studio and ATH-M50s, I'm really just stuck on the decisions because of eyecandy and how bassy or adaptable the headphones will sound. The Dre Beats were designed for hip hop and rap and whatever Dr.Dre endorses, but I'm not so sure about the ATH-M50. Probably the only reason why I considered the K701 were becasue they had a lovely white design (I love white headphones). I haven't been able to get much info about how people who listen to rap or hip hop feel about these headphones on this community.

===========================================
Summing it up:

Will anyone care to share any personal preferences about what headphones I should get?

Genre: Rock, Punk, Hip Hop, Rap

Artists: Rise Against, Tupac, Eminem, Wiz Kalifa, Lil' Wayne, The Game, Lights, (some) Justin Bieber, One Republic, Dr.Dre, Roscoe Dash, Kid Cudi etc.

Wants in headphones: Eyecandy, Sound quality, $100 - $175 price range

Yes I am 15 years old if you were wondering (due to my tastes xP).

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 13
http://www.fannywang.com/on-ear-wang-headphones.html

Better than the Beats and cheaper.

Hey, you asked.

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 13
Check out the Sony MDR-XB700

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10551&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665774402

Mar 1, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 13
I owned the m50s, they were an awesome pair of headphones. they were perfect for the genres i listened to. Although I loved them, I think you might think they lack bass. You might want to look at the denon d1100, phiaton ms400, sony xb500, or maybe even the vmoda crossfade lp(i wouldn't go for that set personally). those headphones are known for the bass which is what those genres of music generally need.

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #7 of 13
I own the M50s but never use them outside the house because they are heavy, large, and have a coiled cable.Obviously not designed for portable use. Although I've never heard them myself, I suggest looking into the Phiaton ms400 (based on what others have said about them on here).

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
I owned the m50s, they were an awesome pair of headphones. they were perfect for the genres i listened to. Although I loved them, I think you might think they lack bass. You might want to look at the denon d1100, phiaton ms400, sony xb500, or maybe even the vmoda crossfade lp(i wouldn't go for that set personally). those headphones are known for the bass which is what those genres of music generally need.

Thanks for the suggestions! I love how helpful and polite this forum can be to newcomers.
Right now I'm more leaning towards the Denon ones, based on some quick reviews, but I live in Canada, and literally all pricing for technolgy sucks in Canada. Ebay lsits the Denons for 150 while the sony XB700 for 100 plus free shipping. Any input guys?

What genres did you listen to (just out of interest)? 

Mar 1, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I own the M50s but never use them outside the house because they are heavy, large, and have a coiled cable.Obviously not designed for portable use. Although I've never heard them myself, I suggest looking into the Phiaton ms400 (based on what others have said about them on here).

The Phiaton MS400 seems good but with shipping and everything, I'll have a total of $200 without border taxes. Guys have any reccomendations for Canadian stores? I live In Richmond Hill, a city near Toronto, in Ontario.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
The Phiaton MS400 seems good but with shipping and everything, I'll have a total of $200 without border taxes. Guys have any reccomendations for Canadian stores? I live In Richmond Hill, a city near Toronto, in Ontario.

How much are you able to get the m50s for? If you can get them for 100, go for those or the Denons instead of the Phiatons. The price difference isn't worth it because I think the m50s sound better but the portability and looks of the phiaton are whats preventing me from selling mine. I wouldn't recommend the fanny wangs, the build quality is questionable on those and I haven't seen good reviews about them. From what I have read, the denons and phiatons are bassier than the m50s with the denon sound better than the phiatons overall. Keep in mind though the size of the m50s, they are huge and fold up but they are not considered portable. Although the denons are smaller, they aren't really considered portable either because of their inability to fold up.

Mar 2, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #13 of 13
sony mdr-zx700   pic: http://images.google.com/images?&q=sony+mdr-zx700
Just try to mention something different, I like the style though :p

Actually try some of those popular models there and tell what you feel about them before blind-asking here would be much more efficient..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back