ATH-W1000X Thread!
Apr 21, 2012 at 8:11 PM Post #603 of 1,994
The LCD-2 has plenty of bass. While I like this headphone, it feels that something is missing compared to my D7000.

It's also bad for television shows/movies. It's great for music - songs sound much more interesting - however, it makes me think that every recording was done in a Japanese studio.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #604 of 1,994

Quote:
The LCD-2 has plenty of bass. While I like this headphone, it feels that something is missing compared to my D7000.

It's also bad for television shows/movies. It's great for music - songs sound much more interesting - however, it makes me think that every recording was done in a Japanese studio.

Is this accidentally posted in the wrong thread or something? Or did you mean W1000x? 
confused_face_2.gif

May 19, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #605 of 1,994
Here's how much I love them... I bought a 2nd pair, and got hold of beautiful leather case to store them in!
darthsmile.gif
LOVE IT! The case and 2nd set where bought used, so I can't help anyone get hold of the case - sorry
redface.gif
Why buy 2 of them? I just don't want to risk beeing in a position where they break and AT has stopped producing them or something.. I just can't see myself listening to music with anything else than the w1000x.

Jun 18, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #607 of 1,994
I am so buying a 2nd pair...since I accidentally chipped a piece on the left wood cup. its tiny but it still annoys me when I look at it grrrr...(=.="). Once I got the 2nd pair I will give the old ones to my father XD

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #608 of 1,994
Anybody here have the ODAC/O2? Just wondering how it sounds paired with the W1000X. I have mine currently with a Audinst HUD-MX1 at the moment but it sounds a bit harsh and fatiguing at times. (I get the impression that the ODAC will sound cold, but not sure about the O2)

Or otherwise, I'd love suggestions for a USB DAC/AMP combo <$500.

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #609 of 1,994
Quote:
Anybody here have the ODAC/O2? Just wondering how it sounds paired with the W1000X. I have mine currently with a Audinst HUD-MX1 at the moment but it sounds a bit harsh and fatiguing at times. (I get the impression that the ODAC will sound cold, but not sure about the O2)

I can't speak to the ODAC combo, but I quite like the Matrix M-Stage + Audinst, though I have switched out opamps from the stock OPA 2137 to the Audio GD-Sun. There's plenty of advice/comments/impressions of various opamps in the M-Stage in this massive thread. If you'd like to upgrade to an all in one option, the Yulong D100 Mk II has been getting good reviews..

Jun 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #612 of 1,994
Quote:

If I ever build a mini to RCA cable, I'll plug in the ODAC I received last week and try it out.  I do not have an O2 amp though, and it will go through my tube amp so my impressions may not be ideal for you. 

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #613 of 1,994
Thanks. Does anyone know or heard what amps or hardware the ATH-W1000X were built around, or what AT might possibly have used during development?

I ask this because:
 The M-Stage has been reported as having excellent synergy with the HD800. I'm not sure if you've read the M-Stage review (there's a major one floating around somewhere) but rumor has it during HD800 development the BCL was used as the companion amp in the process, hence the clones perform excellently thanks to that factor. 

I think it would be nice if there any ideas about the same thing in respect to the W1000X. I ask because it's like with my ATH-AD900 where they seem to lose bass when plugged into my Audinst HUD-MX1 amp compared to when plugged into my laptop's headphone out - which seems to have trouble with low impedance earphones like the TF10 (that situation produces a yucky midcentric sound) though I don't know if this is directly related.

Jul 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #614 of 1,994
Anybody tried the AT-HA26D or AT-HA70USB or other Audio Technica USB DAC/AMP with their W1000X?

I'm still looking to get a new DAC/AMP. Anybody have a Dacport? Is it? worth to get that with the $100 mod to lower the output impedance from 10 to 1 ohm? (From what I understand a 10ohm output impedance won't play well with headphones that have an impedance of less than 80ohms) Or is there something better in that pricerange?

Jul 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #615 of 1,994
How are these with gaming. Here is what I am looking for:

I've decided the best scenario that depicts the experience I am desiring is of that demonstrated by sitting in a bar in Fallout 3 (Moriarty's Saloon if you know it) and being able to hear the radio with its old time tunes and static interference (ever so often smacked by Gob when experience more than normal static) with customers and workers alike walking around and participating in drab conversation. I desire to know the location of the radio and people within the room and to hear it as though I were there in those dark times and not as though I am experiencing this situation through a pair of headphones. I emphasize positional queues in this description, but I must state that clarity, involvement, and natural audio are just as important. The game has a great score with huge brass sections and big drums. I want to feel that. This may sound like an obvious desire, but it excites me to paint this picture. I want to hear the depth of the Sheriffs voice and feel the impact of grenades and mini-nukes in VATS as raider and mutants scream for their lives in slow motion. I want to roam the wastleland with the Pip Boy's radio dialed into GNR and Three Dog's crazy support to "fighting the good fight". I play other games, but if a headphone fits this bill, it will serve just fine in all likely scenarios I am to experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back