ATH-W1000X Thread!
Jul 22, 2012 at 11:47 AM Post #631 of 1,994
Thx for comparison Meoow! :)

I did tested A/B/Cing them too here for the whole night (W1000X, W3000ANV, W5000), see what other people think about their comparison is always a very good story for me :D

Anywy, I ever tried for once using W1000X as portable headphone when I'm on plane, it was only for a short distance though. If you curious, yes, many people that sit around me starred at me when I use it haha.

Jul 24, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #632 of 1,994
some say that w3000anv is not as engaging as w1000x and is more analytical, is that so?

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #633 of 1,994
Quote:
some say that w3000anv is not as engaging as w1000x and is more analytical, is that so?

If one says that w3000anv is a "better" w1000x in terms of typical wood-sound-signature of Audio Technica in general, then it is wrong. Yes, while comparing between 1000x and 3000anv, the 1000x is more focus and enclose + the typical smooth, lusting sounds...ect of ATH sound-signature. While the 3000anv is big in soundstage, awesome 3 dimensional feels to it and it's also very smooth and very layback.
The 3000anv feels more like an open headphone but with a very nice wood sounding. It's like the HD650 but in a different way.

-1000x fits more for a all-rounder wood headphone, it's got that nice balance sounding of a wood headphone with a touch of "magic". That "magic" kind of bounces you back to the music in a nice gently-fun way. It makes you smile
-3000anv fits only for a certain types of music where it does very well. I love listening to Jazz, Bossa Nova, Lounge with this headphone...but the there is a trade off between 1000x and 3000anv for "magical" sounding that you can only get from the 1000x. It is hard to explain how that "magic" sounds like (=.=) unless you own both headphones to compare. The 3000anv lets the music spreads and run deep into your body and mind and kind of amaze you sometimes from that big soundstage.
The 5000 would be my next purchase, then I will be able to compare between 3 top wood headphones from ATH :)

ps: Sorry my explanations could be hard to understand but i hope it helps. + my Bifrost&Asgard combo just arrived XD. (check out http://www.head-fi.org/t/575725/new-flagship-from-audio-technica-ath-w3000anv-50th-anniversary-headphones for updates)

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #634 of 1,994
layback you say?

the main thing which i enjoy in w1000x is their energy and drive when playing progressive rock and "fun" music.

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #635 of 1,994
Quote:
layback you say?

the main thing which i enjoy in w1000x is their energy and drive when playing progressive rock and "fun" music.

yeah layback on the w3000anv side
w1000x sure has nice energize sounding

Jul 24, 2012 at 10:46 AM Post #636 of 1,994
Quote:
but the there is a trade off between 1000x and 3000anv for "magical" sounding that you can only get from the 1000x. It is hard to explain how that "magic" sounds like (=.=) unless you own both headphones to compare. 

That's really what I feel when comparing them, I think it's because the type of wood that W1000X use (Dark Cherry) that can produce special reverb, and because this reason I think 1000X is more "special" wherea 3000ANV is more mature headphone.

Jul 31, 2012 at 9:46 AM Post #637 of 1,994
Currently enjoying my W1000x running straight from my iPod Classic (plus 1/4 to 1/8 adapter) with my old playlists that I haven't heard in a while - also, probably listening louder than I should. :p

Still waiting for my DACport to come.

Aug 1, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #640 of 1,994
Quote:
Grandioso + DACport was my set up back a year ago, and combine with a laptop, I think they're very nice transportable set up. Should be easy to feel the improvement compare direct to ipod :D

Hmm, might need to give me and the DACport some time. Sound is very smooth sounding, but not much else I can say at the moment...

Well, I guess the sound is a lot less fatiguing to listen to than before.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:11 AM Post #641 of 1,994
Hey guys,

I'm having a very difficult time making a final decision on my next headphone purchase. I'm upgrading from the ATH-A900 model, and since I liked the sound signature of that model, I figure it would make sense to stick to the AT brand.

I posted the following thread a few days ago, but I figure it would make more sense to post on the most active high-end AT phone thread on this forum!: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620484/upgrading-from-audio-technica-ath-a900

The W1000X is currently the number one contender for me, but in my obsessive-research-anticipating-buyer's-remorse session, I've run across some complaints that have prevented me from pulling the trigger. Specifically, that this is not a good headphone for more aggressive music (rock, metal, electronica, as opposed to classical/jazz/folk). I listen to "aggressive" and "non-aggressive" music in approximately equal proportions, so it would be a bummer to gimp 50% of my music collection by buying the wrong headphone.

I've also considered the A2000X, but the lack of reviews for it online have prevented me from considering it as strongly as the W1000X.

So, I was curious if anyone had any opinions on the versatility of W1000X vs A2000X or another similar headphone.

Thanks!

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #642 of 1,994
I haven't had my W1000X for too long and I don't know if they are or need any burning in.

I get the feeling that they might be too slow for some music (could be a weakness of my DACport), though they do have their moments with guitars darn well sometimes. 

At the moment, the way I would describe them is: you've called the band/singer to perform in the same room as you - unfortunately, you picked a kind of a small room... Still, they are the best headphones I own at the moment.

By the way, maybe you could link or name an example of "aggressive music"?

I have a pair of ATH-AD900s, but I don't think it's possible to use them to compare to the ATH-A900. Can't say that the AD900s helped sway my decision to purchase the W1000X either.

Aug 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #643 of 1,994
I'm not really much of a metalhead anymore, but I still listen to bands like Opeth on occasion (you could listen to Slayer or Metallica and get a similar picture though).

As far as electronic goes, The Orb is an example that would encompass a lot of different electronic sounds I'm into.

I've read some reviews that have suggested the off-neutral color and relative "slowness" of this headphone might detract from its versatility.

Aug 4, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #644 of 1,994
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm having a very difficult time making a final decision on my next headphone purchase. I'm upgrading from the ATH-A900 model, and since I liked the sound signature of that model, I figure it would make sense to stick to the AT brand.

I posted the following thread a few days ago, but I figure it would make more sense to post on the most active high-end AT phone thread on this forum!: http://www.head-fi.org/t/620484/upgrading-from-audio-technica-ath-a900

The W1000X is currently the number one contender for me, but in my obsessive-research-anticipating-buyer's-remorse session, I've run across some complaints that have prevented me from pulling the trigger. Specifically, that this is not a good headphone for more aggressive music (rock, metal, electronica, as opposed to classical/jazz/folk). I listen to "aggressive" and "non-aggressive" music in approximately equal proportions, so it would be a bummer to gimp 50% of my music collection by buying the wrong headphone.

I've also considered the A2000X, but the lack of reviews for it online have prevented me from considering it as strongly as the W1000X.

So, I was curious if anyone had any opinions on the versatility of W1000X vs A2000X or another similar headphone.

Thanks!

Damn it, I was going to buy the A2000X but then I changed my mind I went for the W5000 first 
mad.gif
. Otherwise I would give you the perfect answer because I do own both A900X (the upgraded version) and W1000X. IMO, A900 and A900x are both very balance close-back headphone. Try and ask http://www.head-fi.org/u/149524/uelover, he/she owns the A2000X, you can ask him/her more about the details.
Hope this help :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back