ATH-W1000X Thread!
Sep 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #661 of 1,994
Hello,

I sell genuine leather pads from the legendary ATH-L3000 which are superb for the W1000x because more comfortable and better sound as the stock pleather pads for a very good price
http://www.head-fi.org/t/624744/ath-l3000-real-leather-earpads-ideal-also-for-w1000x-or-w5000

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #662 of 1,994
Question! Looking at your signature and profile, it would seem that you like the W1000X more than the Ultrasone Signature Pro? How do/did they fare against one another?

Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to do an a b between them but I did get the W1000X within a few days of the Sig Pro's so them memory was very fresh. When I got the Sig Pro I was instantly floored by them and imo light years ahead of anything I had previously heard, but as time went on I found a few things lacking, firstly I couldn't get a comfy fit and never felt that disappearing feeling which for me is very important to getting immersed in the music, and by the end I just found them purely uncomfortable. secondly the bass is just lacking, maybe coming from neutral cans it wouldn't be a problem but their just wasn't enough for me especially in the mid bass. Finally I started having times when the S - logic plus just simply didn't work for me and times that it did which got pretty annoying, and when it didn't work the soundstage was very closed and left and right. Now onto the W1000X at first listen I was impressed but not wowed as with the Pro's but the first thing that hit me is the comfort, In another league to the Pro's and I didn't expect them to be as light as they were either, I also far prefer the larger cups on the at's. Next was the soundstage which although not huge just feels more natural than the S -logic, again it could be that fact that I felt less claustrophobic because of the bigger cups. Vocals on both are rich and lush but I preferred the slightly less forward vocals on the Pro's, but I'm usually very intolerant of forward upper mids but the at's still keep it soft and rich unlike many others ( especially iem's ) with forward upper mids that just sound like harsh screeching imo. The highs on both are sparkly but never harsh and I find both equally enjoyable in that respect. The biggest plus for the at's was the bass, instantly I felt at home, all the woodies I've ever tried have had this natural, pure timbre to the bass and these were no exception, slightly boomy on certain tracks but I quite like that. I was also pleased that they have a pretty big hump in the mid bass which again I really like although I know many don't, but it never felt so heavy that the mids were swamped. The sheer quantity and timbre and naturalness of the bass is what is really swinging it in favour of the W1000X at the moment.

Oct 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #664 of 1,994
I've had these for a couple of years now, and even with a bunch of new 'phones coming in, I still won't part with them.

My first post here. I have W1000x for a few months and love them. I'm just curious Pete... I looked at your profile... Did you ever tried your W1000x with your Schiit Valhalla? And if so, what did you think of the match?

Yip

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:22 AM Post #667 of 1,994
i think they deserve more :)
and i'm pretty sure that this combo will make them too bright

Oct 17, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #668 of 1,994
Potentially looking to upgrade from my DACport, but I'd prefer something USB powered. Searching up a bit, it seems that the O2/ODAC isn't actually USB powered... :/

I get the feeling that the DACport is missing a bit of sparkle, so I was looking for something brighter but hopefully not too harsh on the ears.

Oct 17, 2012 at 11:21 AM Post #669 of 1,994
I think it's not really easy to find dac+amp combo powered by USB that can beat DACport 
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #672 of 1,994
Quote:
Just got my first pair of woodies W1000x. That are very well built and so comfortable compare to my K701.

It's the most unique headphone that I have ever heard :). Glad that I got 2 of them XD

Oct 19, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #674 of 1,994
Quote:
Why 2? But do you find sometimes the bass a bit overpowering covering up some bit of mid? Or it is just because my pair is new needs to be run-in.

w1000x does have quite a well extended bass and it does sometimes get into the mid. But it think it really depend on the songs, because it only happens when i have dubstep and heavy bass electro music going on. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back