ATH-M50 vs HD25-1
Sep 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #16 of 19
I've upgraded to the HD25 from the M50, and I must say I much prefer the HD25. Punchy bass that can go basically as deep as an M50 bassboosted, being bass boosted by an E11 of course by 1 notch. Only thing that was a downgrade was soundstage, but eh, there wasn't much anyways. The much smaller form factor is a huge plus, + I dropped it, many times, not a scratch. Not even a thump on the ground.

On the other hand, I sort of want to sidegrade to TMA-1s because they look amazing + are the same price as the HD25s (I'd be keeping both), but the rubber coating seems to be prone to like scraping off say if you drop it off gravel (as I've read on another thread).

@above

Where did you buy your FA-011s? I've been trying to see where I can buy em, preferably new as I don't really like used products.

Edit: Just read that you bought the M50 :) my bad.

Yeah I just got a pair of FA-011s because I broke my M50s (they still work, but the left cup is only attached via the thin wire, and I've failed to find a good way to keep it together). I bought them used here, but this is the standard place to buy them:
http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=102&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I didn't buy them there because I didn't have the time to wait, otherwise I would have. Shipping takes 2-3 weeks, nothing too horrendous.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #17 of 19

Quote:
Yeah I just got a pair of FA-011s because I broke my M50s (they still work, but the left cup is only attached via the thin wire, and I've failed to find a good way to keep it together). I bought them used here, but this is the standard place to buy them:
http://www.gd-audiobase.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=102&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

I didn't buy them there because I didn't have the time to wait, otherwise I would have. Shipping takes 2-3 weeks, nothing too horrendous.

Oh alright thanks. I'll see if I'll buy them off there.. 2~3 weeks is a loooooong time for me. I check daily already on my Amazon packages and those are only a week (and I'm 15, so I have school and it still bothers me). What do you power them off of?

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #18 of 19

Oh alright thanks. I'll see if I'll buy them off there.. 2~3 weeks is a loooooong time for me. I check daily already on my Amazon packages and those are only a week (and I'm 15, so I have school and it still bothers me). What do you power them off of?

Nothing when I first got them, had no amps. I just borrowed some weird custom one of no-repute off of a dorm mate. Not sure what I think about the amp, but OMG. Without an amp, they sound superior to the M50s, completely. Add an amp and its a whole other level. :)

If you have any other questions please use the PM system, because I believe we are pretty off-topic at the moment.

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #19 of 19
the HD25 beats out the M50s in everything that doesn't need a big sound stage and that isn't really fast paced. At quieter levels the HD25 sounds more sterile, and it's more difficult to listen to its awesome qualities, but at just about any level it is always very fast paced, and exciting. The M50 stay pretty consistent in distinguishing quality and notes and any level, but it definitely doesn't keep it as exciting. Only reason for the note distinction at lower levels is because the M50 has more of a U shaped sound signature than the HD25, and the HD25 is a little more analytical sounding, and that does not mean in just the treble, I mean in all the frequencies.  I would say that the HD25 sounds a little better at higher levels IMO more engaging, but it's probably because of the harshness. That's just comparing it to when it's at quieter volumes. For the M50 it's a lot easier to crank it up a lot more, but you won't need to because the pretty big sound will be engaging at almost any volume.

I would have to say the HD25 is a touch up better than the M50 for metal, which I do listen to a little, but a lot less than other genres. I listen to some A7x, some all that remains, and of course some metallica. I like the HD25 better for all that remains and a7x, but the M50 is a bit better for Metallica IMO. That doesn't stay true for all their songs though.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back