ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Oct 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM Post #391 of 801
Could do a 5 inch cable like that with dual lock and secure it to the side of the cup.

Oct 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #392 of 801
Hey everyone, I'm having some issues doing this mod.. tried the female jack and tested it and no sound... wired back up the original wire and still no sound. No idea what went wrong here... if I had wired the female jack wrong the headphones should have at least worked when I wired the original cable back. Help is very much appreciated. thanks. 

Oct 16, 2013 at 2:18 AM Post #394 of 801
Sorry I don't have pictures but this is the headphone jack im using: 

http://www.a1parts.com/Audio/images/24-288-0.jpg

I also used the original wires that are inside the can, (black, red, green) I'm assuming black is ground and red/green are left and right. 

Tried wiring the jack and tested with a vmoda talk easy wire and no sound. Tried the original wire and just wired back the black to black, red to red, green to green and still no sound. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #397 of 801
Successfully performed my removable cable mod today, but I can't post the pics cause apparently I'm too noob to the forum and not allowed. Will post pics when I get a few more posts under my belt...

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #399 of 801
I want to mod my M50's but iv'e never soldered anything before and don't know how lol. I'm a complete noob. Has anyone sent their M50's to soundprofessionals to get the mod done? Im thinking about doing this since I would have no idea what im doing if i tried to mod it myself. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #400 of 801
If you don't mind the cost, then go for it.

You could also find a competent member on here that might do it for you for cheaper.

Oct 22, 2013 at 3:36 AM Post #402 of 801
  I just read in another thread that the original wires for the M50s are coated in enamel could this be the cause? 

To tin the wires in order to make a proper connection, you must burn off the enamel coating with a lighter.  You should end up with shiny copper.  Overdoing it with the lighter action can leave the copper black with oxidation, and thus useless; then you'll have to snip off the oxidized part and try again.  You only need to tin a few millimeters of each wire.  With my adjustable Hakko 936 soldering station, I just crank up the heat then burn away the enamel and tin the wires in one go quickly.
You can easily find youtube videos on soldering to help you get the hang of it.  There might even be a video or two on working with enamel-coated wires specifically.

Nov 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #405 of 801
Soundprofessionals has been selling them for quite a while now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back