ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Sep 16, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #377 of 801
  I've been on planning to do this to my M50's, as it would greatly increase it's portability. After a lot of hesitation and experimenting, I did it. It's my first DIY project, so that's why I was hesitant. I actually couldn't get the wires to tin, so I couldn't use these for about a week while I tried to find what went wrong. I'm happy with the final product though, and I've discovered how fun DIY can be (and frustrating, lol).

I'm using aiaiai's straight cable. Now these cans are much more portable. Yay!

What kind of pads do you have on your m50's??

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #378 of 801

Make custom cables for your new detachable cable modded M50's of course..

Aha! Well that seems to be the next logical step 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM Post #380 of 801

(edit: and getting some 940 pads for them. The sock mod I usually have on works but it isn't exactly good-looking.)

Refined job there, can't tell it was a DIY mod looking at the pictures, gratz.

Since you mentioned pads, i had two earpads laying around here from my previous headset, the Corsair V 2000. One made of microfiber and the other made of leatherette, both with internal memory foam (great for comfort as opposed to hard foam). Unlike the majority of people i personally don't like microfiber earpads, because although they are with no doubt less hot compared to the leatherette they absorb the water of your sweat and start to stink after few weeks of use, the also get very dirty specially on ambients where the air is not clean or not properly filtered, they also become a pile of wool if you have animals that release wool such as cats or dogs... at least for me earpads made of microfiber is bads news..

So, as i said, i also had another one laying around here made of leatherette, and i decided to try them on the M-50 because the originals that came with it doesn't fit my ears very well and i keep finding myself every 30 min or so struggling to make it comfortable.. YES, I HAVE BIG EARS. Not big in height, but big in width terms. So the more oval the earpad is the worst it is for me, the more round it is better for me...  And that is why i bought the V2000 in the first place, because it had almost perfectly round earpads, which basically means more comfort for me.

I tested them out on the M50, and they fitted without any trouble, their thickness is a bit lower compared to the M50's original, few millimeters only i'd say, in fact i liked it a lot because i stopped feeling that pressure on my ears, it felt like a real over the ear while with the original pads it felt a bit more like an on the ear, again, bcuz my ears are big.

There was a problem tho, the originals had a mesh made of foam to prevent any possible dirt and sweat from infiltrating the inside compartment of the drivers, but the ones i chose to use didn't have such foam sewn into them, they are open, and i didn't like the idea of leaving the drivers exposed. Since i liked the new earpads a lot i decided to cut the foam from the originals, i started the cut with a razor then proceeded with a scissor till the end. Then after putting the earpads i placed the foams inside and it is since then working pretty well, the foams are fairly secure even though they are not sewn, i intend to sew them into the earpads in the near future, but i might end up not doing it because it is just working very well.

M50's original with removed foam (pardon me, i forgot to take a picture of this one before removing the foam):

V2000's leatherette:

V2000's leatherette coupled with M50's foam:

V2000's microfiber:

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #381 of 801
Are There any full step by step guides for doing this? I just got mine and haven't done any DIYs before, so I'm pretty afraid of messing up the cans.
I checked everywhere and couldnt find a guide, but if there were any nice guides I missed, sorry, and please link? :D

Sep 26, 2013 at 6:18 AM Post #382 of 801
  Are There any full step by step guides for doing this? I just got mine and haven't done any DIYs before, so I'm pretty afraid of messing up the cans.
I checked everywhere and couldnt find a guide, but if there were any nice guides I missed, sorry, and please link? :D

There really aren't. 
Someone posted a bit of one earlier in the forum, but it does not detail anything. I am thinking of doing this mod to a different pair of phones. As much as I would like it for my M50's, I honestly don't wish to risk ruining them.

If I find the perfect pair I wish to do this to, I will be certain to make an in-depth guide!

Sep 26, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #383 of 801

Here is my somewhat step-by-step process of doing the same mod on my old Beyerdynamic DT770's. They arent't the same headphones, but the process is the same for the most part.

LINK: http://www.head-fi.org/t/643648/beyer-dt770-pro-80-detachable-cable-mod

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #385 of 801
Thanks. As far as I understand, the process is:
1- remove earpads
2-unscrew screws
3-cut wire
4-solder off something that's in the way
5-skin the wire
6-skin the smaller wires
7-match the conductive parts of the smaller skinned wires with the parts of the female panel mount jack
7.5-do the same with the rest of the wire with a male panel mount jack to keep wire (steps 5-7)
8-use glue gun to make the jack stay (and also use it on the skinned wires that are connected to the panel mount jack??)
9-close it all up
10-enjoy

This seems fine? My only worries are with step 3 and step 8 - are these steps safe? Also, does cutting the wire make the quality suffer at all? Is glue-gunning the naked wires safe? Is there something better than a glue gun to use? Not to mention, would it off-balance the cans, killing the bass?

Oct 3, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #386 of 801
  Thanks. As far as I understand, the process is:
1- remove earpads
2-unscrew screws
3-cut wire
4-solder off something that's in the way
5-skin the wire
6-skin the smaller wires
7-match the conductive parts of the smaller skinned wires with the parts of the female panel mount jack
7.5-do the same with the rest of the wire with a male panel mount jack to keep wire (steps 5-7)
8-use glue gun to make the jack stay (and also use it on the skinned wires that are connected to the panel mount jack??)
9-close it all up
10-enjoy

This seems fine? My only worries are with step 3 and step 8 - are these steps safe? Also, does cutting the wire make the quality suffer at all? Is glue-gunning the naked wires safe? Is there something better than a glue gun to use? Not to mention, would it off-balance the cans, killing the bass?

I just completed this mod a couple days ago, thanks everyone here by the way, and yes you have the process right. I have noticed no change in audio quality, and bass seems to be the same. From my point of view, there is no noticeable change in sound quality. I didn't glue my jack in, so if i need to replace it for any reason I can. As for the off balance, its such a minimal change it doesn't make any difference. 

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #387 of 801
Hello everyone. I bought my M50's from soundprofessionals and was thinking of sending them back to get the mod done. Should I get locking or non-locking? Also I need a cable for the gym, are there any good cables with an iphone controller (3 button + mic) out there?

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #388 of 801
Hello everyone. I bought my M50's from soundprofessionals and was thinking of sending them back to get the mod done. Should I get locking or non-locking? Also I need a cable for the gym, are there any good cables with an iphone controller (3 button + mic) out there?

I'm going to do the mod as well but am trying to decide the same. I originally considered doing mini xlr.

I'm wondering about the locking and what jacks people used that worked well for both trs and those for mini xlr?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back