ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Sep 1, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #361 of 801
I cut it a little at first, not creating a hole in that main chamber, but since it seemed to not be enough, I just made the jack stick out more instead.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #362 of 801
Quote:
My turn:

"Wireless" listening, ha!  Just need a band to hold the J3 in place.

That looks great! Did you find it difficult to achieve a nice solid fit? I'll be doing this later this week and I just wanna know what people thought about it.

I might just go as "non destructive" as you did too, cause it doesn't look that bad with the jack sticking out.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #363 of 801
I had to widen the hole for sure.

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #365 of 801
I need to do this mod! good job guys!

Sep 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #366 of 801
I just got all the stuff I need yesterday so this weekend I'm ready to jump in!

Though I'll murder and/or mod and old pair of not-so-good [edited for profanity, whoops] headphones first, to be sure I can do it.

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #368 of 801
Bought this jack from Amazon a few months ago. I was scared to start. But I went through with it anyway. For those of you that are afraid of ruining your sweet M50's, this is the easier route.

l want to do it exactly like you did ortizthx, i don't want to take the chance to ruin the phone forever by any little possible mistake, so doing this without having to open them is definetly the best option for me.. Also i would like to know what is that on your earpads? Socks? Seams like a very velvety cloth.

The female connector you chose is of very good taste, and it even combines with the original cable, i'm sure the similarities aren't a coincidence right?! 

Initially i decided to use some sort of locking mechanism same as the one used on Shure headphones, but since i didn't find any connectors with such sofisticated mechanism i had no choice but to use the standard more traditional locks - the ones you have to tighten till is tight enough - such as the following ones:

But then reading this thread i discovered the V-MODA BoomPro Gaming Mic, and it was love at first sight, i had to give up on the locking connectors tho because it wouldn't be possible to mod the V-MODA mic. I don't know if it is going to work tho, cuz the position is quite weird for the BoomPro mic to sit and work properly, the mic will sit approximately 6cm below where it should actually be since it will not be connected directly to the headphone instead it will connect to a soft and easily bendable cable. So i don't know if it will be able to capture and also isolate sounds to the point of being good enough for use. But i am so in love with the BoomPro mic that i'll give it a try.

Sep 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #369 of 801
Dat mic, wow!  I gotta get me one later.

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #370 of 801
That is an awesome mic. I've thought about buying another Boom mic from Astro gaming and making something similar to this out of it. I wonder how the sound quality is in this V-Moda one, and how it compares to the Astro one I mentioned. You can order the one from astrogaming.com for $15 I believe.

Sep 8, 2013 at 2:30 AM Post #371 of 801
Initially i decided to use some sort of locking mechanism same as the one used on Shure headphones, but since i didn't find any connectors with such sofisticated mechanism i had no choice but to use the standard more traditional locks - the ones you have to tighten till is tight enough - such as the following ones:

I used the Calrad locking connectors and they worked out very well, if you decide against the gaming mic (which I want now, by the way!).

Sep 10, 2013 at 6:57 AM Post #372 of 801
I made a "dry-run" on my horrible Coloud R2-D2 headphones (I would love them if they didn't sound like ass and clamped my head to bits) and I have to say I was successful!

The only problem I faced was that the cups were simply too small and rounden to fit the 3,5mm jack and the speaker so it looks kind of...weird.
I'll try to get some pictures of them up tonight
tongue.gif

I like the V-moda BoomPro, but as I'm using my M50's for commuting and such I ordered the SpeakEasy cable and it seems to work quite well.

Sep 15, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #373 of 801
I made it guys!

I struggled with using the original cable as the coating on them made it a bitch to get the solder to stick.
So after I gutted some cheap cable and tried again it worked much better.

The soldering iron I used had an awful tip so the actual soldering itself isn't exactly beautiful but during the process I checked with an audio source at all times to see if the connections were good.
(I did put some hot-glue on the back of the speaker and on the connections on the jack to make sure there would be no wrong connections made during use.)

Overall, I'm very happy with the result! :D

Thanks to all the head-fiers who've posted valuable info in this thread through the years.

Here's the V-moda cable in action. It really works great!

Now all that remains is getting the original cable all plugged up and ready for use.

(edit: and getting some 940 pads for them. The sock mod I usually have on works but it isn't exactly good-looking.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back