ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Aug 27, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #346 of 801
Quote:
Don't be nervous, we are all here to help if you need 
normal_smile%20.gif

Thanks! I might have to turn to you guys for help since this is my first time in 5 years soldering anything.
Quote:
I had NEVER soldered or messed with electronics before.

I suggest practicing before if you're a complete novice like me.
But once you learn the basics of the idea, it's ACTUALLY pretty simple.

Yeah, I have a pair of crappy Coloud R2-D2 headphones lying around that I'll mess with first, just in case :)

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM Post #347 of 801
A bit off-topic: Where do people get all these awesome cables?

Are there any specific manufacturers to go for? (in terms of quality and looks)

I live in Norway so most of what you guys post in terms of "where to buy" sadly doesn't help me that much :frowning2:

Aug 27, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #348 of 801
Quote:
A bit off-topic: Where do people get all these awesome cables?

Are there any specific manufacturers to go for? (in terms of quality and looks)

I live in Norway so most of what you guys post in terms of "where to buy" sadly doesn't help me that much :frowning2:

I made mine. Materials all from redco. Visit the Gallery and the Question and Answer thread if you want to know more.

Aug 28, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #350 of 801
Aug 29, 2013 at 6:51 AM Post #355 of 801
Quote:
Thanks for this! 
WAAAAAAY better than the deals I have been finding.

Also: I tried this mod out on a throw-away pair of headphones and the left side worked at first, but then cut out. 

I had some issued with it before. Could this just be a bad soldering? 

If something worked and then didnt, yeah probably a bad solder. Sounds like your ground was probably touching your right signal or something. That would make the right not work at all, and the left might get signal for a moment if its also a cold joint solder. 

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #357 of 801
My turn:

"Wireless" listening, ha!  Just need a band to hold the J3 in place.

Sep 1, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #359 of 801
Epoxy.  I carved out shallow curves on opposite ends of the jack's black plastic so that the epoxy gets more grip on the jack.  The jack also has a tight fit in the hole.

Sep 1, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #360 of 801
Quote:
Epoxy.  I carved out shallow curves on opposite ends of the jack's black plastic so that the epoxy gets more grip on the jack.  The jack also has a tight fit in the hole.

Sweet! that is a great idea! I noticed that your jack is sticking our a little farther than many others. Did you end up cutting the housing for the speaker? Or did you leave it intact and just have the jack not intersect with it? (Sorry for all of the questions. When I do this to my own pair, I want to see all of my options because I would rather change as little as possible to the actual build itself.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back