ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Jan 13, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #242 of 801
Alright, before I do this mod I want to check that I'm getting this right:
PH-666J-B.jpg

so the tall silver metal is the one I attach with the black wire, the gold metal is the one I attach with a red wire, and the shorter silver metal is the one I attach with green wire?
also, do I need to apply flux to the metals that I'll be soldering or is it okay? Thanks.

Nvm. Figured it out using a computer software. Feels good to have a modded m50 :D

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #245 of 801
Black goes to the long one, and test for the other two to see what side is left and what side is right. 

Plug in a aux cord to the jack and your phone when you have the black wire attached, then attach the red wire to the right side and play from this website http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_stereo.php.
If you hear it playing on the right with the red plugged in, you have found the right jack. 

Also has anyone found another cable to use aside from the ones inside the cable? I tried those but am having trouble fitting everything after the mod so I was gonna just use some new cables but I do not know what size wiring or any of that. Thanks for the help. 

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #248 of 801
I bet units like this could be bent to work without removing the post: LINK

Crap, just realized thats a 1/4" one, Ill try and find the 1/8" version.

And it doesnt seem to be made in that style of course. I swear I have some laying around the house though from years ago. Ill have to check.

Meanwhile I found this one that might actually fit in between the two posts: LINK Ill have to find the datasheet for it, open my M50's and bust out the digital caliper and find out...

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #249 of 801
So, our kitten just chewed right through the cable on my M50s, giving me some pretty solid incentive to do a detachable cable mod on them.

Since I use them only for studio use, I'm leaning heavily toward going the mini xlr to 3.5 route.  I could use some help making sure that I order the correct pieces and then wire them up correctly. 

So, I'm planning on getting the male mini xlr that was already posted a couple pages back:
http://www.avalive.com/Switchcraft/TB3MB/130592/productDetail.php?utm_source=googleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=TB3MB

Would this be the correct female connector to pair that with?
http://www.avalive.com/Switchcraft/TA3FBX/130548/productDetail.php

Could someone recommend me good cable to go with for this?
(Alternately, if someone could point me in the direction of a suitable premade mini xlr to 3.5 cable, I'd really appreciate that)

Once I am sure that those are the right pieces, and I receive them, I'm going to need some help figuring out what gets wired to where.  Is that something that I could get some help with here?

Feb 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #253 of 801
Hey guys I am considering doing this mod or purchasing from Sound Professionals.  The lowest I can get an unmodded m50s is 119 from SP.  Amazon is around 120-130 I think.  The modded m50 from SP is 160.  Is this a better deal than having to do it myself?

Feb 21, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #254 of 801
Quote:
Hey guys I am considering doing this mod or purchasing from Sound Professionals.  The lowest I can get an unmodded m50s is 119 from SP.  Amazon is around 120-130 I think.  The modded m50 from SP is 160.  Is this a better deal than having to do it myself?

Thats something only you can answer for yourself. Is it worth ~$40 to just have them modded with you get them? Or would you rather save the $40, spend a bit in parts and tools if you dont have them and do it yourself?

Feb 21, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #255 of 801
Quote:

I would recommend buying the un-modded pair for 119 and doing it yourself. Knowing how to solder is a very good skill to have, and its fairly simple. And if you ever want to have this mod done to another pair of headphones you'll have to pay to have it done again. (and being on this site, the chances of getting more cans is high) Also, if you do it yourself, you'll have much more fun showing them off -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back