ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Sep 7, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #706 of 801
Dunno how it become like that, but I think it still work as long as the speaker inside is not over heat/burned.
The circuit look OK...

Lot of people can help in putting back all together but it might not worth it due to shipping fees.

Yup.. Shipping costs over 60usd from Singapore to United States. Horrible. I guess I can only just keep it?? Hahah...

Sep 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #708 of 801
Hey all,
A couple months ago I started this mod - and I never finished it.  I don't have the skill or good tools to really do it, and it's frustrating because I have a perfectly good set of ATH-M50s that I love sitting around with no cable.  I actually got the 3mm jack soldered in and everything, but I cannot get the channels right or the sound quality to come through both channels correctly.  I'm certain it has to do with my pathetic soldering, and I just don't have enough time to invest in learning how to solder (I'm taking a full load of university credits and working 20+ hours a week).

Is there anyone out there willing to finish the mod for me?  I'm willing to pay....

I would send you everything you need - Cables, jack, phones.  I just need someone to do the actual WORK for me, haha.

Thanks all.

P.S. Preferably someone in the US, due to shipping concerns.  But that's not exclusive.

Oct 13, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #709 of 801
Hey guys can anyone here recommend a good cable to get for my m50s. I bought a v moda speakeasy cable a year ago when i got them modded and now the button and mic on it doesn't work . I would prefer a cable with a mic and button. 

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #710 of 801
I just attempted this mod and not sure whether I've busted my headphones :frowning2:.

As I was just about to solder the cables to the drivers, some liquid came off the solder and dripped onto the driver part and from then on, the sound has become funny.

Funny in the sense I can't hear the main lyrics but mainly the backing soundtrack and it also has like a large hall effect.

Is there anyway to fix this or have I 100% messed up my headphones?

Bare in mind, the music sounding perfectly fine when I just placed the wires onto the contact just to ensure music was going through but up until the liquid drip, I've not been able to fix the problem.

Some immediate help would be great! 

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #711 of 801
  I just attempted this mod and not sure whether I've busted my headphones :frowning2:.

As I was just about to solder the cables to the drivers, some liquid came off the solder and dripped onto the driver part and from then on, the sound has become funny.

Funny in the sense I can't hear the main lyrics but mainly the backing soundtrack and it also has like a large hall effect.

Is there anyway to fix this or have I 100% messed up my headphones?

Bare in mind, the music sounding perfectly fine when I just placed the wires onto the contact just to ensure music was going through but up until the liquid drip, I've not been able to fix the problem.

Some immediate help would be great! 

Can you upload some pictures of the back of the driver for us?

Oct 19, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #712 of 801
  Can you upload some pictures of the back of the driver for us?

Well, I think it's truly gone. The left channel isn't even emitting any audio but right channel is and I've already tried to clean the solder from the solder points.

Probably fried the driver as both were working fine before. Plus my soldering job is pretty ugly and I'm too embarrassed to show it because I may get absolutely creamed in criticism (It looks REALLY bad lol)

Oh well, I'm not too bothered. Time to invest in something a bit better, M100 maybe? 

Edut** On second thoughts, I'll get one uploaded later tonight. My first soldering job, and I probably made a mess of it. Lesson learned probably. lol.

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #713 of 801
Hey everyone! Wanted to share pics of my mod. My M50 3.5mm connector busted on me, and after looking on google on how to repair the connector, I came across this thread on how to make a mod for a removable cable. 
After waiting awhile for my jack to come, I was finally able to put the jack in, and make a custom cable with Mogami W2893 cable and Pailiccs plugs. Everything turned out great! Looks and performs much better!

Nov 8, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #714 of 801

Well, I think it's truly gone. The left channel isn't even emitting any audio but right channel is and I've already tried to clean the solder from the solder points.

Probably fried the driver as both were working fine before. Plus my soldering job is pretty ugly and I'm too embarrassed to show it because I may get absolutely creamed in criticism (It looks REALLY bad lol)

Oh well, I'm not too bothered. Time to invest in something a bit better, M100 maybe? 

Edut** On second thoughts, I'll get one uploaded later tonight. My first soldering job, and I probably made a mess of it. Lesson learned probably. lol.

It's best to try the mod out on something else, and cheaper at that, before doing it to M50.  Maybe some suitably large JVC model?  RX700?  Or at least practice soldering first on a busted PC soundcard, ethernet card, motherboard, etc.

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #716 of 801
I wanted to do a locking setup with mine that matched the OEM coiled end. I plan to make a more portable cable eventually, but for now this is awesome 

That is awesome mod . Very nice locking chasis. I did the same for my m50 Red.
Only problem is that chasis and plug a bit expensive and hard to get here.
Ordered mine from UK all the way to Malaysia.
But really nice :thumbup::D

Nov 19, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #717 of 801
Thanks! My only issue is that now its all mono channel with no more stereo support. I have no idea what is causing this now 
angry_face.gif

Edit: It appears to be my jack. I did buy a stereo jack, but when I did a continuity test on all the connections they are always connecting no matter what. What is causing this issue and what is the fix?

Nov 19, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #718 of 801
Thanks! My only issue is that now its all mono channel with no more stereo support. I have no idea what is causing this now 
angry_face.gif

Edit: It appears to be my jack. I did buy a stereo jack, but when I did a continuity test on all the connections they are always connecting no matter what. What is causing this issue and what is the fix?

The left and right must be shorted on your jack side. Check it carefully and redo the soldering.
Make sure non of the wired or soldering iron is shorted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back