ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Jul 2, 2014 at 2:38 AM Post #676 of 801
  There is your problem.

Replace those wires and start over. I guarantee that the flaky connection is a result of that.

I'm still pretty new to the community. What type of wires would you recommend? The gauge on the stock wires seemed pretty small had a difficult time trying to strip them.  
This is what the circuit board currently looks like. I've noticed some slight white coating on top of the solder? I'm not sure if it's pictured well and didn't notice if this was present before I started modding. 

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #677 of 801
Your problem is right there on the left where there is solder dripped onto the ground's strip. Don't try to scratch it off of it, just use your soldering iron to make it and the right (red) soldering point not connected anymore. That's 100% the problem, I know that now after seeing this.

Jul 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #678 of 801
  Your problem is right there on the left where there is solder dripped onto the ground's strip. Don't try to scratch it off of it, just use your soldering iron to make it and the right (red) soldering point not connected anymore. That's 100% the problem, I know that now after seeing this.

Hey cCasper, thanks for responding quickly. I'll give that a go today when I can drop by and get some wick, hopefully that will fix the problem. I just wanna confirm its the solder that I have boxed in the following 2 pictures correct?

Jul 6, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #681 of 801
Any 24-28 gauge wire is fine. I just use the wires inside Mogami cables for these. 

Another thing you could do if it's just the right ear you're having problems with is; desolder the right driver'swwires from the left driver and solder them straight to the 3.5mm jack you installed. That would be the easiest solution. 

Jul 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #684 of 801
I'm trying to decide what iPhone cables to use with them. It looks like the two main options are the V-Moda 1 or 3 button cables, or the Beats RemoteTalk Cable. Are there any other cables I should be considering?

Jul 16, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #685 of 801
  I am going to do this mod very soon to my own headphones. Can you give me a link to what jack you use?

I can't find the exact one I used for the connector in the pictures above, but these look the same from the outside. 
http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=72_89_395&products_id=14088

I normally use either of these on M50's depending on what people want. I prefer the kind on the left because you can do all your soldering and then slide it into the hole and thread it on, with the black connector you have to solder the wires to the connector, thread the wires through the hole, and then solder the other side of the wires to the driver. 

Jul 21, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #689 of 801
Hi Neato, I'm considering the same mod and materials that you used for your M50. Could you tell me whether the Philmore 504k installation required you to cut the monitor housing or whether it was small enough that no such mod was necessary. Also, was there any notable change in sound quality/profile before v. after? Thanks!

Aug 10, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #690 of 801
Hi New here, I been browsing through this thread and have been convinced to do the removable cable mod and after much trial and error it was a success. The only thing I am still wanting to do is put some sleeving on the original cable that was cut. I have a new 3.5 jack and was just wondering what would work good as I have tried some paracord that i picked up locally but it was to small to fit the cable and am now wondering what I should try. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back