ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Jun 19, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #661 of 801
It's hard to tell from the crappy pictures, but the hole where the mini-XLR goes in is kind of a mangled mess. I'm in the process of buying a broken pair and using its housing to redo the whole thing. The locking nature of the XLR honestly ended up being unnecessary, so yeah just a needless pain in the butt.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #664 of 801
I finally got around to redoing my pair. Bought a broken pair on eBay, red this time. Fully deconstructed both pairs of headphones, did a complete rewire with mogami and got rid of the wimpy, ready-to-snap Angel's hair they dared to call wire.

Aftermath of 2 disassembled M50's.

Transplanted my drivers and headband leather over to the new pair. Used a 3.5mm jack, giving up on the mini XLR for now, but I've actually managed to clean up that old earcup and jack entry maybe for a mod project.

Also made 2 new matching cables from the same mogami used for the rewire. The 5 inch cable is perfect for connecting to the sansa clip.

Officially scratched my M50 itch and got that mini XLR mishap off my mind. Next up, custom velour headband.

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #666 of 801
Hey casper are you gonna try the HM5 velours they released?

Is this what you were referring to?
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-other-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

I also ordered a pair of these but haven't gotten them yet.

In addition I ordered a sennheiser headband to perform the mod on post #50 shown in this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579875/comfort-mod-hd650-headband-padding-on-the-pro-900/45
But again haven't gotten it yet since everything is shipping super slow.

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #667 of 801
Is this what you were referring to?
http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-hm5-velor-memory-foam-earpad-suitable-for-other-large-over-the-ear-headphones-1pc

I also ordered a pair of these but haven't gotten them yet.

In addition I ordered a sennheiser headband to perform the mod on post #50 shown in this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/579875/comfort-mod-hd650-headband-padding-on-the-pro-900/45
But again haven't gotten it yet since everything is shipping super slow.

Yeah let me know how they work out. Where did you get the headband from?

Jun 29, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #671 of 801
Got the Sennheiser headbands and the stock HM5 pads.

HD650 Headband and Beyerdynamic DT250 velours

HD 600 headband with stock pad on left and HM5 on right

HM5s have much more space for your ears

With beats remote talk cable for iPhone.

As you can see in the pictures above I have been trying out multiple ear pads and headbands.  After trying out the ear pads, I instantly decided to return my Beyerdynamic DT250 velours since I am really liking the added ear room with the HM5s.  As soon as the velour HM5s show up I will post pictures comparing those with the stock HM5s.  As far as headbands, the HD600 headband is much better than the one for the HD650.  The 600 had thicker pads covering more space while the 650 seemed to create two pressure points on my head due to thinner padding and a significant gap between the two pad sections.  The only downside to the 600s is that they seem to wrinkle up really easily but that can be fixed somewhat with double sided tape. I'm thinking sewing them to the headband would completely fix the wrinkle problem but I will wait till I know for sure that they will be a permanent addition. I also picked up the beats remote talk cable for when I use these directly through my iPhone. Its really nice to add playback control and headset capability.  They make two versions: iPhone and Android.  If you listen directly from your phone these are great but are kinda worthless when you what to also use a headphone amp.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:21 AM Post #672 of 801
Ahhh. I'm worried I've damaged my pair of cans. I've never soldered before but decided to move on with the mod anyway. I am using a philmore 504k and after soldering everything up and screwing it back together, audio was coming out from only the left side. Whats weird is before I screwed the housing back I plugged them in to check and everything worked out fine. So i opened them up and kept playing with the wires soldered to the jack and still no go. However when I fiddle with the wires soldered to the circuit board the audio would play here and there if I got it in the right spot. I am afraid the connection at the circuit board is damaged. :frowning2: 

I guess I need to resolder the wires back to the circuit board and see if that fixes things. What type of wire (gauge,brand) would you guys recommend using if I took this route? The stock wires are such a pain to deal with.

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #675 of 801
  Original enameled wires. I stripped them, burned the enameled off a bit, tried tinning but that didn't go to well so I just moved forward with it.

There is your problem.

Replace those wires and start over. I guarantee that the flaky connection is a result of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back