ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
May 24, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #646 of 801
  Mod done with a modified inline connector.  
It allows standard patch cable connection but also adds the threaded locking feature that I wanted without having to bore a large hole in the driver cup.  Also minimal driver clamp material removed and no sub clamp foam removed (the white foam under the drive clamp is completely intact).(See fourth image link below)

That's probably the nicest M50 mod I've seen.

May 24, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #647 of 801
Quote:Mad Max
Impressive!
Where did you get those rubber boots that the Switchcrafts have?

Those are the rubber boots that come with the stock M-50s.  I trimmed them to be a little shorter.  I have 2 M-50s, that's why I had 2 boots.

That's probably the nicest M50 mod I've seen.

Thanks, I studied this thread for a couple weeks prior to attempting it, there is loads of good mod advice here I am so glad this resource is available.

May 30, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #648 of 801
Whats more can you ask from ATH-M50? They sound great, good clarity, deep bass and got the ambience. That's right a detachable microphone! :s8:
So before I even bought a mic, I have to make the cord detachable. Firstly I bought the 3.5mm stereo jack from sim lim tower, cost $0.50 and did some soldering. :eek:

photo1.jpg

The cord is now gone :s12:
photo2.jpg

Closer and closer =:p

Next I have to test them to make sure the sound is right and left, lol. The microphone in this mod is VMODA boompro gaming, this mic is bendable, twist-able and has a good sound clarity which is important. Amazon.com: V-MODA BoomPro Gaming, VoIP Headset Headphone with Mic, Black: Electronics
photo5.jpg

Here it comes
Well now I just have to attach them together and my ATH-M50 has a detachable cord with microphone, how's that for a mod. :eek::eek::wink:
photo3.jpg

Actually the mic is on the left side.
photo4.jpg

The full glory =:p

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #651 of 801
I think you have to have 10 posts. It isn't a terrible restriction, I've seen some forums make you wait a month or until aafter 50 posts.

To get around it, you can post to photobucket and use the "source" button above the typing space to add html pictures.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #652 of 801
Just modded my pair and I'm pretty pleased with the results.  Spent some time getting 10 posts so that I could post pictures of the mod but for some reason it still won't let me add any images.

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #653 of 801
Now that I can add images here is my mod.  Pictures also include the modded cable and my headphone amp.

I also ordered the beats remote talk cable for a mic and playback control so I will post pictures of that when I get it

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #656 of 801
They look like Beyerdynamic DT250 velours.

Jun 9, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #658 of 801
This definitely isn't my cleanest job, that raised plastic around the cable's hole definitely messed it up for me. It turned out OK, but I'm not 100% happy with it. I'll do it better next time.
Man, using a mini xlr here was a nightmare. I had to cut the washer just to get it on, AND I had to cut the nut on the inside that threads onto the mini xlr chassis. I cut it so it still threads on, kind of like the shape of the OHM symbol; Ω. That isn't all that's holding it on or anything, I still hot glued it.

Oh, and I don't have pads on these because one ripped. I have some HM5 pads on the way. I just wanted to upload this to get closer to my Headphoneus Supremeus! Haha (12 more posts, WoOt)

I made a Mogami cable for them, it's about 3.5 feet long maybe a tad more. These will be up for sale after the pads arrive.

Jun 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #659 of 801
I-i-it's not like I made a detachable mini-XLR version too a year ago or anything... stupid casper and his stupid better workmanship :p

But in all seriousness this was a miserable experience and a good lesson about DIY hubris. I made the mod right after building my Beta22 and felt invincible. The parts were less than ideal, the dremel should never have had to come out, etc etc. All the signs were there, this wasn't going to be a clean mod the way I was preparing to do it. The mini-XLR jack never fit the original grommet hole or the filed-out, expanded hole, but it somehow magically stays there now, bound by magic and my raw burning hatred for how it looks.

I haven't used my M50's since I made this mod because I essentially consider them "ruined" at the moment. I feel like my hands butchered a piece of plastic, engineered art. Seeing other people's M50's actually gets me a bit emotional because deep down inside I know I failed my own pair. I feel like if they could speak they would say, "Look at me, John. I used to be beautiful. YOU RUINED ME. You monster, you ruined me. You used to love me and now you won't even look at me."

Jun 19, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #660 of 801
Your pair still have the possibility of being exactly like my pair. You would just have to drill the hole out a little more take the nut off and it should slide in. 

But I agree, the mini XLR in an M50 is a pain. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back