ATH-M50 Removable Cable Mod
Apr 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #616 of 801
I don't want to ruin my girlfriend's M50's, so I'm going to ask before doing any rash things.. How do I take off the rubber thing where the 3.5mm female plug is supposed to go?(the one that makes it detachable.)

I think you're talking about the rubber grommet where the cable passes through the cup?

If that is the case, it just pulls out along with the cable after you desolder the wires from the driver.

You won't hurt anything by taking it out, but by that point that you remove it, you'll have already desoldered the cable so you'll have already committed to the job. Commit bro, commit.
It didn't though!:O
EDIT: It came off!! Had to use a screwdriver to force it out..

Apr 24, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #617 of 801
It didn't though!:O
EDIT: It came off!! Had to use a screwdriver to force it out..

Good to hear. Now just remember to take it easy on the heat applied to the driver's soldering tabs and you'll be solid.

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #618 of 801
Operation M50 succesful
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #620 of 801

:)

Apr 30, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #625 of 801
  There aren't 'just kidding' fonts on the internet. Hard to tell when someone is or isn't. Keep that in mind 
wink.gif

Hence "emoticons"/images.

May 14, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #627 of 801
  Could someone recommend a good quality cable for this mod which has inline volume/track buttons that work with an iPhone/iPad? A microphone would also be cool but not required.

http://v-moda.com/1-button-speakeasy-cable/ These are very nice, but there are no volume buttons.

May 15, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #629 of 801
I read through this entire thread, phew.  I should get my jack in tomorrow, this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ML4A2Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan on burning the threads out of the cable carefully.  This seems to be one of the bigger potential problems.  The other thing I was concerned with, like others, is affecting sound quality.
I understand if you alter anything in the cup, there's the potential for this, but I'm trying to minimize that.  Any ideas for using some kind of plastic filler to build up the plastic part that has to get to cut? 
Maybe just trying to only cut out bare minimum to fit the jack in, then glue in the gap?

I'm just thinking of ways to keep that gap in the plastic to a minimum.  I'm aware of attaching the female jack outside the housing, but I don't think I want to do that.  I may consider it if I figure out a clean way to do it.  I know it doesn't look as nice with the cord hanging a little bit, but maybe I wouldn't mind if I knew I could get the female plug connected to the cable cleanly.

May 17, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #630 of 801
  I read through this entire thread, phew.  I should get my jack in tomorrow, this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ML4A2Q/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plan on burning the threads out of the cable carefully.  This seems to be one of the bigger potential problems.  The other thing I was concerned with, like others, is affecting sound quality.
I understand if you alter anything in the cup, there's the potential for this, but I'm trying to minimize that.  Any ideas for using some kind of plastic filler to build up the plastic part that has to get to cut? 
Maybe just trying to only cut out bare minimum to fit the jack in, then glue in the gap?

I'm just thinking of ways to keep that gap in the plastic to a minimum.  I'm aware of attaching the female jack outside the housing, but I don't think I want to do that.  I may consider it if I figure out a clean way to do it.  I know it doesn't look as nice with the cord hanging a little bit, but maybe I wouldn't mind if I knew I could get the female plug connected to the cable cleanly.

Just do it my way.  I didn't want to seriously mutilate the driver's chamber like I've seen others do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back