ATH-M50 hurts my ears. Can anyone offer me some alternatives?
Jan 1, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #32 of 41

Quote:
Shure SRH 440? or maybe even the 840s..
I like my 440's alot and I hear the 840 are great too..

THEY WON'T DO. I have them. the SRH440's hurt my ears too as the driver shield touches it. they also don't have much bass presence, soemthing someone with an M50 would like

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #33 of 41
Not sure about sound quality, but the Brainwavz HM5 are $120 are said to have good sound and be more comfortable then the M50. There is a thread about the HM5 right now and I read the bass improves with an amp like Fiio e10. Also, their sound is described as neutral but the amp improves the bass. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #34 of 41

Quote:
THEY WON'T DO. I have them. the SRH440's hurt my ears too as the driver shield touches it. they also don't have much bass presence, soemthing someone with an M50 would like

I have Beats Studios (I bought these simply cuz I liked the color), M50's and Pro900 and my SRH440 have plenty of bass.. not as much as the three mentioned.. but I don't think they are lacking in bass.. but if these hurt your ears might not be a good idea...

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #35 of 41

Quote:

I have Beats Studios (I bought these simply cuz I liked the color), M50's and Pro900 and my SRH440 have plenty of bass.. not as much as the three mentioned.. but I don't think they are lacking in bass.. but if these hurt your ears might not be a good idea...

..... I just did a test about half an hour ago with my shure srh440's. i have these burned in fully and was amped and going through an Cirrus Logic DAC using mainstream lossless CD riped dub step and rap/hip hop. there is not such thing as a bass "presence" on these. it's there and slightly over emphasized past neutral "at times" but for the msot part.it's not there. Shure's are mainly for rock

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #36 of 41

Quote:
..... I just did a test about half an hour ago with my shure srh440's. i have these burned in fully and was amped and going through an Cirrus Logic DAC using mainstream lossless CD riped dub step and rap/hip hop. there is not such thing as a bass "presence" on these. it's there and slightly over emphasized past neutral "at times" but for the msot part.it's not there. Shure's are mainly for rock

I just tested mine and out of my E7/E9 combo and my Sparrow and sound just like I stated earlier and the funny thing was I was just listening to the beats Studios.. The bass isn't as good as the Pro900, M50 or as much as the beats.. but I don't feel they lack bass at all..
I was listening to techno/hip hop/J-pop/K-pop ALAC... :/

Jan 1, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #37 of 41

Quote:
I just tested mine and out of my E7/E9 combo and my Sparrow and sound just like I stated earlier and the funny thing was I was just listening to the beats Studios.. The bass isn't as good as the Pro900, M50 or as much as the beats.. but I don't feel they lack bass at all..
I was listening to techno/hip hop/J-pop/K-pop ALAC... :/

We have differtn opinions of bass :/ for me. the srh 440's are too neutral
oo the horors. did a head fi'er compalin about headphones being too neutral? ooo the world is comming to an end!!
lol. i like funhadphones :)

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #38 of 41

Quote:
But, after an hour or two, the rims of my ears hurt because I think they are right against the inside plastic part of the headphones. It gets very uncomfortable. I stop enjoying the music because of the pain and have to take them off.

Hey Mr. Spock!  :)   The M50 are tight-fitting because of the metal headband and padded cups which surround your ears. But they press on the sides of your face, not on the ears.  I have behind-ear and on-ear phones which are more comfortable for extended listening but the M50 has the best sound.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #39 of 41
To the OP, stretch out the headband on the M50s. They will be 10x more comfortable.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #40 of 41
I dunno, I use the Grados in public, when I walk around campus because I can walk across the street and not worry about getting ran over.  If it's a decent volume, no one can hear my music, and I can hear through it, but it's usually pretty minor.  I'd say Grado, but that's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back