ATH-M50 hurts my ears. Can anyone offer me some alternatives?
Sep 24, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #16 of 41
Fischer Audio FA-011? They're open, but they get good reviews. Never tried them first hand before, so I can't comment on them.
Ime, the SR80 is slightly more comfortable than the M50 due to the foam pads (comfies) but I wouldn't use the SR80 for long periods
as they can be quite clampy. 

The DT770's pads look really comfortable :s 

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 41
What about some ultrasones? the HFI-580/680. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #19 of 41
I have heard a lot of good things about the Grado SR-60i and the SR-80i. They're open, I know. But, is the sound leakage really bad? I mean, can I sit on a bus and not annoy people?

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #20 of 41

Quote:
I have heard a lot of good things about the Grado SR-60i and the SR-80i. They're open, I know. But, is the sound leakage really bad? I mean, can I sit on a bus and not annoy people?

Yes, they are open and leak like crazy. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #21 of 41
Depends on how quiet the bus is, lol.
It's not good for use in quiet public places... you might want to look for something else. 

Quote:

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #22 of 41

Quote:
Hello everyone!

I am relatively new to full size headphones. I went with the ATH-M50 since it seemed to be VERY highly praised. And I must say I love them.

But, after an hour or two, the rims of my ears hurt because I think they are right against the inside plastic part of the headphones. It gets very uncomfortable. I stop enjoying the music because of the pain and have to take them off.

I tried searching around and the solutions seem to be taking it apart and such. But, I still have the option to return these headphones for a full refund. So, I was wondering if there are any better/more comfortable headphones around the same price range? (I spent $160 on these).

Thank you!

Have you tried loosening the clamp or changing the pads? It used to hurt last time with the ATH SQ5s but once I hit that sweet spot its over. I also got a different problem with M50s (clamping) but I managed to find a perfect fit. Other than that theres the Beyer's dt770 but it requires a slightly better amp to make it sing whereas the M50s are not so demanding. Check out the dt235 those are pretty comfortable and sound very nice too.

Oct 2, 2011 at 1:12 PM Post #24 of 41

Quote:
deja vu(?)

use cottom to fill in between the pads and the baffle, it will make it deeper.

or, get some Fischer FA003 pads

The cotton trick worked fine for a while but now the rims are a little two hard on my head. I 'loosened' up the headband by stretching it over a box for three days straight but it still bothers me. And it still heats up my ears. :frowning2:

Jan 1, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #29 of 41
fischer fa-003 they are comfortable. not sure if they have the bass or what not u want but they are extremely comfortable. i would offer the HFI 580 as an M50 alternative..but not if you are having problems with comfort.
Vmoda M-80 and Vmoda LP2 are also good ones. the M80's are more portable, don't really leak, and more neutral while the LP2 are over ear bass headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back