ATH-M50 from Sony MDR-V6?
Nov 15, 2010 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

K2e2vin

100+ Head-Fier
Right now I'm using Sony MDR-V6s w/ Beyerdynamic cushions; I really like them but I'm looking to upgrade to something a little better; preferably under or around $100 with more bass than the V6s.  I use the headphones for mostly music and some gaming. 

Initially I was thinking of going with the MDR-7506s but may not see a big difference.  I've also listened to HD-280 Pro, though only for gaming, and do not like the bass(kind of bass-heavy for me);  Explosions drown out other sounds which also makes it harder to pinpoint where sounds are coming from; the soundstage seems smaller too but I couldn't really tell with the bass; I can borrow a set and listen to music with them if you guys think that may be a good upgrade. 

I've heard good things from Audio Technica and their AD700s are highly regarded in the gaming community; but I'm not a hardcore gamer.  Would the M50s but a good upgrade or is there a better alternative?

Thanks, Kevin

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #3 of 18
PC (Realtek ALC889), and sometimes directly into my keyboard or guitar amp....though I planning on buying a receiver to simplify everything(using optical-out from the PC though); possibly Onkyo TX-SR308

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 18
The 7506 won't be an upgrade to the V6.  The M50 will be an upgrade, but it will not be a very significant upgrade.  The reason the AD700 has such high regard in gaming is due to the soundstage.  Being open cans, it has a larger soundstage.  The imaging is also better with the AD700 and thus it is easier to locate where all the sound is coming from.  As you can guess, this is a huge advantage when you want to hear enemies trying to sneak up on you or when you're stalking them and hearing them walking around a corner gives you the jump on them.

Due to the fact that the AD700 is open, it won't be useful for portability as it won't isolate and you'll be leaking noise as well as having outside noise bleed in. The M50 would be a better choice if you're okay with coiled (as I'm going to assume you are since you own the V6) since the straight cable is just too long to be used as a portable.

If you're keeping it in that budget range than the M50 is highly regarded.

This thread might be a great read for you:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/433318/shootout-57-portable-headphones-compared-audio-technica-ath-m50-added-11-12

Nov 15, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 18
I wasn't really considering the AD700s(hardcore gamer comment) due to the lack of bass, but thanks for the link!  The M50s look VERY promising!  So are they pretty much the best bang for buck in that price range?

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I wasn't really considering the AD700s(hardcore gamer comment) due to the lack of bass, but thanks for the link!  The M50s look VERY promising!  So are they pretty much the best bang for buck in that price range?

It's a very popular headphone to recommend around here lately.  And for what they do they are good.  You can find used ones going around for 80 dollars unless you can find yourself someone willing to sell them to you for like 15 bucks (those that were lucky enough to get the mispriced $11 M50s from Amazon).  If possible it would probably best if you can try to audition them at a store first.  This should let you know if you think it's worthwhile to get an upgrade now or to save that money for a much larger upgrade later on.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #7 of 18
That's the only problem though; I can't really find much variety around here.  Sam Ash used to carry Audio Technicas IIRC, but when I went over there all they had were Sony's, Shure, Samson, and Sennheisers.....just realized those all begin with S.

Nov 15, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #8 of 18

Quote:
That's the only problem though; I can't really find much variety around here.  Sam Ash used to carry Audio Technicas IIRC, but when I went over there all they had were Sony's, Shure, Samson, and Sennheisers.....just realized those all begin with S.

I did a really quick search and found moon-audio (they are here on h-f as well) do private appointments.

http://www.moon-audio.com/payment.htm

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #9 of 18
Unless Head-Fi changed their mind on the $11 M50, a mod said anyone selling those would be banned from the site.

Quote:
Quote:

It's a very popular headphone to recommend around here lately.  And for what they do they are good.  You can find used ones going around for 80 dollars unless you can find yourself someone willing to sell them to you for like 15 bucks (those that were lucky enough to get the mispriced $11 M50s from Amazon).  If possible it would probably best if you can try to audition them at a store first.  This should let you know if you think it's worthwhile to get an upgrade now or to save that money for a much larger upgrade later on.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM Post #10 of 18
The V6 and 7506 are the same.  The M50 will be a slight upgrade, but not worth it since you have such good headphones already.  If you want to upgrade, go towards something bigger, like hd 25-1 ii.  DT770 or 32 Ohm DT880 would also be a solid choice.

They're above your budget, but there's no point in taking baby steps, you'll just be wasting your money.  Spending $100 for a near-lateral upgrade isn't worth it to me.  The ad700 are in the same boat as M50.  Good headphones, but you aren't making huge gains, since the headphones you have are already so good.

Some guy in your city is selling hfi-700 for $125.  See if you can get $100 even for them.
http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2016626061.html

Nov 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 18
I can't really find much reviews on the HFI-700s; though a lot of for-sale threads for them.  I don't want to go over $150 since I want to buy a new sound car also(HT Claro Halo); with that said the HFI-780s come close but reviews/comparison are all over the place.  ZipZoomFly has the HD25-1s for $150 but they're not in stock, so I don't know if I should go for that(maybe the price will go up once they get them in stock, which means I just wasted time). 

What I've noticed with many products(not just audio), the price vs. "overall performance" seems to be regressive as the price increases(in other words, past certain price levels the difference or gain in performance is not as significant) .  If a product is that great, where it simply blows away the competition at a price point, I'll definitely consider it; in other words, the only way I'd buy $200 headphones is if it could be considered at least 50% better than $100 phones....of course it's hard to judge sound that way hence why I'd like people's opinion.  If the M50s aren't really that much greater than the V6s, I guess I'll reconsider or just look for deals on used cans; I paid about $60-$70 for my V6s IIRC.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #12 of 18

Quote:
I can't really find much reviews on the HFI-700s; though a lot of for-sale threads for them.  I don't want to go over $150 since I want to buy a new sound car also(HT Claro Halo); with that said the HFI-780s come close but reviews/comparison are all over the place.  ZipZoomFly has the HD25-1s for $150 but they're not in stock, so I don't know if I should go for that(maybe the price will go up once they get them in stock, which means I just wasted time). 

What I've noticed with many products(not just audio), the price vs. "overall performance" seems to be regressive as the price increases(in other words, past certain price levels the difference or gain in performance is not as significant) .  If a product is that great, where it simply blows away the competition at a price point, I'll definitely consider it; in other words, the only way I'd buy $200 headphones is if it could be considered at least 50% better than $100 phones....of course it's hard to judge sound that way hence why I'd like people's opinion.  If the M50s aren't really that much greater than the V6s, I guess I'll reconsider or just look for deals on used cans; I paid about $60-$70 for my V6s IIRC.

HFI-700 are very good budget headphones. I like them a lot more than HFI780 and Pro750- two of the more popular Ultrasone models. HFI700(or European model HFI650) sound more natural and balanced to me.

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
 The imaging is also better with the AD700 and thus it is easier to locate where all the sound is coming from.  As you can guess, this is a huge advantage when you want to hear enemies trying to sneak up on you or when you're stalking them and hearing them walking around a corner gives you the jump on them.

confused.gif

Where are you using these?  Afghanistan?

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #14 of 18
He's talking about in a game(First person shooter).

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 18

Quote:
HFI-700 are very good budget headphones. I like them a lot more than HFI780 and Pro750- two of the more popular Ultrasone models. HFI700(or European model HFI650) sound more natural and balanced to me.

How would you compare them to other cans such as the V6 and possibly M50?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back