Ath m-50 comfort
Aug 27, 2011 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

stewieg

New Head-Fier
Hi.
Do you have any comfort issues with m-50?

Thanks.

P.S.
What's the size of the cans?
P.P.S.
Any more comfy and more portable suggestions ?

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #3 of 22
When I owned mine it had a pretty tight clampping force. You might be able to bend the headband though

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #4 of 22
They clamp tight and cause for sweat pretty fast-- about only 10mins in for me.  They are decently big, but the pads aren't true cicrumaural.  Instead of going completely over your ears, the pads go behind your ears, and your ears go inside the pads-- meaning your ears touch everything.  Compared to some comfort kings like Denon D2000, their clamping force feels like a death grip and the pleather pads feel like bricks.

Their comfort is decent, but not good. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 22
Tried the M50s a month back or so, and the clamping force is mad. Comparing them to my HD438s which have no clamping force at all, they're really clampy.
Maybe twice as clampy as my SR60i? It'll probably wear off as you use them. Fwir, they felt really rigid and had great build quality. Nice coiled cable too. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 22
I've had mine for ~8 months, and I've never had any problems with comfort. Half the time I can't feel the headband at all, and the clamping force (though strong) has never been uncomfortable. After a couple hours my ears occasionally get hot or start to sweat, but I honestly think this depends more on the ambient temperature than the headphones themselves.

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #7 of 22
try the akg 518dj if you want clamping force cause m50's doesnt clamp that hard. I think it's usually a personal matter how people experience it, so i think you should go and try them in a store to see if they suit you. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 22
The clamping force was pretty strong when out of the box
You have to loosen it up for it to be comfortable, in my experience, many other as well

The pads are soft, but due to our body fluid like sweat and oil on our faces, it tend to stiffen up
That is when they become hard to wear

The only disadvantage of the M-50s is replacing the pads

Aug 27, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 22
The clamping force was fine for me since I could stretch the headband quite a bit.
However, I hated that my ears got sweaty and hot from the pleather and closed design of the m50s. 

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
The clamping force was fine for me since I could stretch the headband quite a bit.
However, I hated that my ears got sweaty and hot from the pleather and closed design of the m50s. 

Have you tried other closed headphones? Just curious if that's actually the offending factor here.

Aug 28, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #14 of 22
I loved mine buy I ended up selling them after 5 months due to comfort issues. I bought them to use them while working in the office, so I meant to use them for several hours/day. They were very heavy for me, and the clamping force was too much. I felt discomfort after one hour of usage, my neck was in tension due to the weight of these. I could not concentrate on the music and kept readjusting them on my head. The clamping made them claustrophobic.

A pity really, if they were lighter they'd be perfect for my needs..

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 22
sorry to revive this, but I've had my M50's for about 3 months and the clamping is an issue. For me, however, sweaty ears is the biggest issue. I almost regret purchasing them, but they are a decent closed ear headphone. 

Has anyone had any luck changing the pads successfully, and or diy fixing the sweat issue?
thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back