Ath-l3000 impressions
Aug 12, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #211 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I was guessing we just use W2002 replacement pads - though now that I think of it, the texture on my W2002 pads is coarser than my L3000 pads. Hmm...time for a new poll/thread?
evil_smiley.gif

I had someone suggest that, Hirsch maybe but I don't have any of my sets of W2002 pads available to see how good the fit is. It's probably worth investing in a set just to see if they work...

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #212 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
This pretty much sums up my feelings also. I find that even though the depth of the sound isn't in the R-10/HE-90 league, I just don't care. I think the depth that is there is used beautifully and I find the instrument placement and seperation to be first-rate. I've never really conceptualized them as being intimate, but in retrospect seeing that tag applied to them really fits and it is one of the things I find quite addictive about them.

Yep, we're all in agreement on this. I mentioned the intimacy in my initial impressions over a month ago (in fact I bolded that one word
cool.gif
) - I still fall in love with it every time I listen.

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:12 AM Post #213 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
I was guessing we just use W2002 replacement pads - though now that I think of it, the texture on my W2002 pads is coarser than my L3000 pads. Hmm...time for a new poll/thread?
evil_smiley.gif

Hmmm IIRC the w2002 pads were a little different... Hmmm.

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:26 AM Post #214 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
Hmmm IIRC the w2002 pads were a little different... Hmmm.

I thought so also, but I didn't compare them at the time and I don't have my W2002 with me at the moment to check it out...

Aug 12, 2005 at 6:11 PM Post #216 of 350
At the moment I've haven't stumbled across any online sites that carries replacement pads for the L3000's, that includes Audiocubes. You may want to send Kohn at Audiocubes an email to see if he could get replacement pads for the L3000 since he's able to get replacement pads for other AT cans.

Aug 12, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #217 of 350
Wow, all this talk about L3000 has gotten me interested.
From the impressions, it seems the L3000 has great bass, mids, & intimacy.
I just have one question: Is the L3000 considered brighter than R-10s?
I know this may sound weird to many but I actually thought the R-10s was a tad bright in my setup, brighter than Grados, AKG501s and even HE90.

Also, besides Audiocubes and Eifl, is there an alternative place to buy a L3000?
Thanks,
Vka

Aug 12, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #218 of 350
Vka said:
Wow, all this talk about L3000 has gotten me interested.
From the impressions, it seems the L3000 has great bass, mids, & intimacy.
I just have one question: Is the L3000 considered brighter than R-10s?
I know this may sound weird to many but I actually thought the R-10s was a tad bright in my setup, brighter than Grados, AKG501s and even HE90.
The R10 can easily sound bright in the wrong setup. The L3000 is not as bright in the treble as the R10, but the L3000 is more forward in the upper midrange.

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:21 PM Post #220 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
At the moment I've haven't stumbled across any online sites that carries replacement pads for the L3000's, that includes Audiocubes. You may want to send Kohn at Audiocubes an email to see if he could get replacement pads for the L3000 since he's able to get replacement pads for other AT cans.

Already talked to Kohn last night, and jude today. I'm setting up a group buy for the ath woodie pads (and am finding about about the whole l3000 vs w2002 pad deal). Keep your hats on
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:26 PM Post #221 of 350
Quote:

Already talked to Kohn last night, and jude today. I'm setting up a group buy for the ath woodie pads (and am finding about about the whole l3000 vs w2002 pad deal). Keep your hats on
smily_headphones1.gif

I think is more important to give an answer to the L3000 defect... some other guys have found exactly the same I noticed in my unit !!!

Best!
Nicola

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #222 of 350
Nik, what exactly did you find? I recall Alex saying that sometimes very low bass can adversely affect one or more of the drivers. Is this the defect to which you refer?

And, based on your communications with others, how common is this occurrence?

thx, - walk

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #223 of 350
Quote:

and am finding about about the whole l3000 vs w2002 pad deal

As far as I can tell, the pads for the W2002 and the L3000 are the same.

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:42 PM Post #224 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Nik, what exactly did you find? I recall Alex saying that sometimes very low bass can adversely affect one or more of the drivers. Is this the defect to which you refer?

And, based on your communications with others, how common is this occurrence?

thx, - walk

I'm not so sure it's a problem with the driver but a problem with the way the headphone is made. It seems to have some vibration problems with played with low tones. The thing that alex said is that it is almost impossible to hear in music and this is prob why it wasn't noticed during the testing stages of production.
And nik, sorry I really can't help find out any more information, but on a plus note it's not all of them that have it, mine doesn't. I recommend you go right to audio technica , but I really doubt there is much they can do about it now other then pay for the shipping seeing how all of the units have already been made.

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #225 of 350
So, chef, (that aint you in that avatar, is it?), is that in fact Nik's defect? If so, I am aware of the story through the A-T sage and helper, Sir Alex.

So, on a selfish note, I am fine, but I feel bad for Nik. I wonder what tipped Nik off into knowing that he had this defect as Alex says it's very difficult to notice. Maybe he evaluated the phones with the test cd just to see, and found out that way. Or, maybe he heard something funny while listening to "regular" music and then confirmed it with the test cd (?). I'm curious. It does not seem very straightforward as to what the recourse is, but I guess contacting A-T Europe is the logical first step for Nik.

- walk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back