Ath-l3000 impressions
Aug 11, 2005 at 12:23 PM Post #196 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bayerdynamic
Can I ask some questions:

How is the soundstage of the L3000 (depth, width, heigth)?

How is the balance in the midrange and how are the transitions from bass to midrange and midrange to treble? Any particular noticeable jumps in the frequency?

In what areas are less expensive headphones such as the HD 650, CD3000 or DT 880 still superior?

How suitable is the L3000 for mere background/falling-asleep listening?

If it's possible to sum it up, what are the L3000's major flaws/strengths?

Sorry for the many questions but the weak dollar, all the praise surrounding these headphones and its availability from bluetin makes them really interesting.

The l3000's soundstage is bigger then most in height and width due to the large size of the driver- but the depth is nothing r10/he90 level. But how ever the soundstage has "the best" imaging creating this very natural sound- very realistic with live stuff. They are very balanced, large mids but yet great bass and treble.
Out of less expensive headphones, the only I think that may have a shot at having superior features would be the grado ps-1. I haven't heard it my self though, and someone said that the bass is comparable so who knows. It doesn't have any down right flaws but there are some areas which aren't strengths either (maybe soundstage depending on what your looking for). Strengths would be- Speed (but compared to some others 010, omegaII this could be a weakness), midrange, bass, high end , high detail

Aug 11, 2005 at 12:28 PM Post #197 of 350
@Bayerdynamics

L3000 is far superior in every area to the mentioned cans. Probably the smallest enhancement lies in it's spacious.

@Nik

Are you shure that your amp is the right one for L3000? Maybe it sounds good, but is not the earmax tuned for high-impedance Headhphones like Sennheiser HD650?

My C.E.C. HD53 amp normaly has 100 Ohm impedance at headphone jack, with lowering it to 30 Ohms it shows much more dynamik and detail with the L3000. In addition it was passive equalized for L3000 because it did'nt sound ballanced (reduced highs) before. There must be a solid reason for the EQ on it's dedicated amp DHA-3000 from Audio-Technica. Any Way, for me the L3000 is a masterpice.

Next week i'ill try Sennheiser HD650 on my modified amp, because it shows similar problems before amp-modifikation on it.

Aug 11, 2005 at 1:58 PM Post #198 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by chamix
@Bayerdynamics

L3000 is far superior in every area to the mentioned cans. Probably the smallest enhancement lies in it's spacious.

@Nik

Are you shure that your amp is the right one for L3000? Maybe it sounds good, but is not the earmax tuned for high-impedance Headhphones like Sennheiser HD650?

My C.E.C. HD53 amp normaly has 100 Ohm impedance at headphone jack, with lowering it to 30 Ohms it shows much more dynamik and detail with the L3000. In addition it was passive equalized for L3000 because it did'nt sound ballanced (reduced highs) before. There must be a solid reason for the EQ on it's dedicated amp DHA-3000 from Audio-Technica. Any Way, for me the L3000 is a masterpice.

Next week i'ill try Sennheiser HD650 on my modified amp, because it shows similar problems before amp-modifikation on it.

The EarMax (pro and AE) are very fine with low and hi impedence cans!

Best!
Nicola

Aug 11, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #199 of 350
Unfortunately my L3000 sn 414 has a problem in the right channel, very bad thing, I have contacted Koji for this...

This is very simple to hear with a CD test (20 Hz and up).

Best!
Nicola

Aug 11, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #201 of 350
Quote:

Can I ask some questions:

How is the soundstage of the L3000 (depth, width, heigth)?

How is the balance in the midrange and how are the transitions from bass to midrange and midrange to treble? Any particular noticeable jumps in the frequency?

In what areas are less expensive headphones such as the HD 650, CD3000 or DT 880 still superior?

How suitable is the L3000 for mere background/falling-asleep listening?

If it's possible to sum it up, what are the L3000's major flaws/strengths?

1) The soundstage of the L3000 is great, but not any where near the CD3K in term of width of soundstage. I yet to compare the depth of stage to other phones.

2) To my ears, the L3000 have no problem transitioning from bass to midrange and midrange to treble. The L3000 is very neutral headphones with excellent bass extension, which to my ears better than HD-650 w/ Zu.

3) The L3000 have no problem providing pretty of details at low levels listening. The earpads are soft and very comfortable, probably the most comfortable headphones I've heard to date. However, I would be careful laying down b/c I'm afriad that I will leave marks on the leather.

4) I probably want the L3000's stage to be a bit wider; however, this could be at the expense of intimacy. The major strengths include excellent bass and treble extensions, fast, intimacy, midrange, and being very neutral.

My impression is at 100 hours mark.

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #202 of 350
I also have similar thoughts about the soundstage. It's not as big as say the little cousin A-900s, but I like the more forward/intimate stage of the L3000s. It's not in your face, like some Grados, but not too wide either. I really like the choice here.

- walk

Aug 11, 2005 at 6:37 PM Post #203 of 350
I agree. I think the expansiveness of some headphones soundstages really is fantastic, and in this regard the L3000 (and other woodies) are pretty good but definitely not spectacular. But there's a certain naturalness in the overall sound presentation (instrument placement/separation) of the L3000. On some tracks (including some live tracks), they give you a presentation that while you may still be listening through headphones, you get a fair representation of the venue ambiance, whether it be small cafe, studio or stadium. I really do think this is one of the underappreciated strengths of the L3000/woodies.

Best regards,

-Jason

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #204 of 350
Hey l3000 owners- have a problem

You know how when the headphones are not on your head - the pads are pushing against each other? Any ideas of what to put between because the bottom of my pads are starting to really flatten out
plainface.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #205 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
Hey l3000 owners- have a problem

You know how when the headphones are not on your head - the pads are pushing against each other? Any ideas of what to put between because the bottom of my pads are starting to really flatten out
plainface.gif

You should have them on your head at all times! This keeps the pads from flat-spotting. On a more serious note, I'm not sure because keeping them on a stand may flatten the entire pad over time, given how soft they are.

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:44 AM Post #206 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonic32
You should have them on your head at all times! This keeps the pads from flat-spotting. On a more serious note, I'm not sure because keeping them on a stand may flatten the entire pad over time, given how soft they are.

Oh well I guess I'll have to stock up on pads, just glade I don't have the r10 any more (1 pair of r10 pads cost the same as 5 pairs of l3000 pads!).

Aug 12, 2005 at 1:58 AM Post #207 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chefguru
Oh well I guess I'll have to stock up on pads, just glade I don't have the r10 any more (1 pair of r10 pads cost the same as 5 pairs of l3000 pads!).

Where are the L3000 pads available? I've been looking for them...
tongue.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #210 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I agree. I think the expansiveness of some headphones soundstages really is fantastic, and in this regard the L3000 (and other woodies) are pretty good but definitely not spectacular. But there's a certain naturalness in the overall sound presentation (instrument placement/separation) of the L3000.

This pretty much sums up my feelings also. I find that even though the depth of the sound isn't in the R-10/HE-90 league, I just don't care. I think the depth that is there is used beautifully and I find the instrument placement and seperation to be first-rate. I've never really conceptualized them as being intimate, but in retrospect seeing that tag applied to them really fits and it is one of the things I find quite addictive about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back