Ath-l3000 impressions
Jul 18, 2005 at 6:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 350

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
With under 20 hours of burn in so far, I'm already loving it. Thought I'd give some impressions and clear somethings up -

The myth and The truth-
1. They are not bright- quiet the opposite , they sound rather dark actually kinda similar to the omega II... but not quiet the same.

2. The bass! Great bass! Oh man can't even say how big a relief this is, I was getting worried that this was going to turn out to be another r10.

3.They are much faster then the w2002! The w2002 (which I use to have) is much slower then the l3000, I noticed this right away when I put on miles Davis and it became even more apparent with Fat boy Slim.

4. Only a hint of coloration is really noticable... but it's much better then the r10 and w2002, actually compared to them it sounds pretty neutral.

About the build-

The Ath is well known for there impressive builds but they really went overboard with the l3000. The Cable is kind of similar to the stax cables (where it's wider then it is thick) but it seems to be made out of very tightly woven silk. The left and right cable from the ear cups are connected with a small rubber (?) piece that has a metal plate on one side that is engraved with the Audio Technica logo. The plug is very beefy and made of metal.

The pads are the same as the w2002s (very similar to the r10's but smaller), hehe I love these pads (take a look at the photos, trying to show how soft they are). On the bottom of the headband there is a small metal plate on both sides also engraved saying - Limited edition- on the front side , and in the inside it says the serial number (mine is T439/500). The wing pads are of the same leather that the pads uses (which is also a slight improvement over the w2002 wing pads).
Fairly light headphones and they fit beautifully. I think they're maybe more comfortable then the r10 actually (which I always felt was to lose). This is like the perfect snug fit, and you don't have to **** around to get it either.
The leather smells great as well.

The packaging-

The case is a two piece box that fits together. The outside is a deep blue velvet, the inside is a fitted foam to hold the headphones (it uses a foam similar to that of those tempurpedic mattress) that is covered with a black cloth (not quiet silk, not really sure what it is made out of).
The ath-l3000 also comes with two pouches. The bigger one is of a tan color and feels like inside of a leather glove, very soft (couldn't help but hold it up to my cheek haha). It has a big logo on the front and uses black rope to close. The smaller is of a fleece like material using Velcro to close and open. *The smaller pouch is for the cable and then the bigger to whole the two together*
There is a few papers, along with an envelope that has a note about how to keep the leather clean.. no book or anything like the r10.

Sound-

So far I'm very impressed, this is definitely an improvement on the ath-w2002. The ath-l3000 is much darker then the w2002 and has a more balanced sound. I hear very little coloration compared to the w2002. The bass response is very deep, extension is great, and impact is grado like. - Yeah I know i've said this already-

Sound stage is not of the level of the r10 or even the omega II... but around the size IMO of the sr-303/sr-404 (even though I haven't heard them in a while I feel confident that's the best compassion). Imaging on the other hand (being able to place where things are) is at the top of it's game. I can very distinctively tell where each instrument is and if the artist is moving I can clearly hear that with out having to focus on it.
So far out of the music I've listened to, I feel that the l3000 right now is best with jazz. Miles Davis simply sounded real, and I can not remember hearing it better (maybe the he90). Rock is made for this headphone too. Bob Marley sounds so perfect here, oh man words can't even describe how perfect he fit with the l3000. Dave Matthews Band and rage against the machine were also just astonishing. On the other hand I felt that I've heard my techno Cd's sound better with the omega I and omega II. Also yo-yo ma felt very dry, this is where the r10 use to really shine.

So as of the moment this is how I feel - should be interesting to see how my impressions change as I burn them in.

Jazz - 4.9/5 - Perfection, I only am giving it a 4.9 because of the he90.

Rock - 4.8/5 - Sounds like a grado with a bigger sound stage,more detail and a bigger and better midrange, I'm loving this!

Classical - 4/5 - maybe some more coloration could help here? R10 wins here so far. But even if this is the ath-l3000's weakness , it's still in the top 5 headphones for this type of music, it's just not the best.

Techno- 4.2/5 - Their fast and they have great bass, but I hate to say it the omega II dominates here... so far at least. I've found that some songs (vocal ones) have the possiblity to sound as good maybe better though due to the ath-l3000's impressive midrange.

Detail -9/10 - tons of micro detail

Bass amount - 8/10 -

Bass Impact - 9/10 -

Speed- 8/10 - it's fly... for a ath

Midrange- 9.5/10 - The he90 and r10 are the only two I can think of that are better

Highs- 8.5/10 -

Soundstage - 8/10 -

Imaging/ instrument separation - 9.5/10 -

Some photos (tried to get different shots then the normal people take).

Light-

mini-DCP_2660.jpg

-Limited edition -

mini-DCP_2657.jpg

Back side - t439/500

mini-DCP_2658.jpg

Nice pads!

l3000.jpg

Soft

mini-DCP_2656.jpg

Random

mini-DCP_2663.jpg

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Were you able to draw parallels from our earlier discussions? any truth to the "Blondes in the lecture hall" theory?

cool.gif

Hahaha yes, it is very much the blonde in lecture hall theory

Jul 18, 2005 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 350
Hi Chefguru, for me this is a "prelude to a kiss"... thanks !

Best!
Nicola

Jul 18, 2005 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 350
Congratulations!

I was fortunate enough to get to listen to a local HF'ers Lhead last week, and they are a damned impressive set of cans. Fantastic sound and stupendously comfortable.

Cheers!
Dan

Jul 18, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 350
I must admit, I'm not a big fan of the L3000. It just didn't seem to have the right synergy with Pinkie - honestly, at this point nothing really sounds perfect with this amp other than Grados (which is just the way Lan tweaked it to be, and I like it!) Perhaps with a diff rig it would shine more, but it just sounded...wonky. Sorry, my impressions memory is already starting to fade a bit with these cans, I know it's not helpful!

Jul 18, 2005 at 8:19 PM Post #10 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Hey Kyle,

Glad to hear you're liking them. What amp are you using with them?

I'll use the EarMax Anniversary Edition with fantastic Telefunken ECC801s and Cca !!! The most musical headphones amp I heard !!!

Best!
Nicola

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 350
Congats on your new purchase, Chef. Your initial impressions seem to mirror my quick, meet-condition impressions I obtained listening to a new pair, especially with regard to their darker, bassier nature.

Funny thing is, that very same pair (Wayne's) I heard when new, is now garnering "bright" descriptions from the owner after burn-in! Wierd.

Jul 18, 2005 at 9:25 PM Post #13 of 350
Congrat's chefguru! Your review is quite interesting, and the pix are great, too. I have a pair on the way as well, and you have surely wetted my appetite (particularly with the assessment against rock and RATM....oh yes!).

- walkman

Jul 18, 2005 at 10:57 PM Post #14 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
I'll use the EarMax Anniversary Edition with fantastic Telefunken ECC801s and Cca !!! The most musical headphones amp I heard !!!

Hey Nik, sounds like an interesting combo, though I think they have gone pretty well with everything I have used them with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back