Ath-l3000 impressions
Jul 18, 2005 at 11:19 PM Post #16 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
Congrats, another big fan of the L3000 here. I also had a favorable first impression, and I still much prefer them to all the other cans I've owned.

How do they compare to your K340's?

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #17 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
How do they compare to your K340's?

They're on another level, but keep in mind my K340s aren't anywhere near as modded out as yours
smily_headphones1.gif
(I have 1 pair w/ blacksilver cable, 1 pair stock) The L3000 has clearly better detail, instrument separation, and dynamics. Plus tons of bass that's well controlled. Soundstage not as huge as the AKGs but it's got a very intimate presentation that sounds more natural to me than other headphones. Overall, it's an incredibly balanced, natural sounding headphone IMO.

Edit: Hopping over to the hd650 after listening to the l3000 is jarring: it's like looking at a picture and then looking at the same thing through a screendoor
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 12:13 AM Post #18 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
The L3000 has clearly better detail, instrument separation

Wow, I would have to hear that to believe it. From what I remember my K340's have more detail than the SR404's... and I have never heard a headphone that has better instrument separation and imaging.

Damnit... now I am curious about the L3000's. They would match my new leather chair too.
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #21 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Congats on your new purchase, Chef. Your initial impressions seem to mirror my quick, meet-condition impressions I obtained listening to a new pair, especially with regard to their darker, bassier nature.

Funny thing is, that very same pair (Wayne's) I heard when new, is now garnering "bright" descriptions from the owner after burn-in! Wierd.

Their is the typical AT characteristic that in the upper midrange it becomes emphasised I don't know what the correct term is. I think you call it forward. It is present in the w100's and to a lesser extent the w2002's.

The l3000 is an anp friendly headphone unlike the w2002's. But the real bonus as when you spend more time with it then it rewards. It will never wow you like an R-10 or Qualia on a 5 minute sessions. It's more subtle and show these qualities when needed although never to the levels as the forementioned phones.

For a phone of this price the bass performance is rather good. Although it will never beat you up like a Ps-1 it is more controlled and detailed.

This phone is not for everyone. It seems good but nothing special next to a R-10 or Qualia 010. But it's not blatantly in your face all the time. For some headfiers this might be more suited for their taste's.

The fact the l3000's can and will perform with even modest equipment is a bonus and is limited only by how much you want to build a system around it.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #23 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
redwings-> Zanth has the l3000 at the moment right? Your description of them makes me, not only want to try them out but pull the trigger on buying them
frown.gif

I don't think he has them. You need to sudition them as they are not everyone's cup of tea and even then you will need to sit sown and put in some quality time with them. They won't wow you like a Grado. They are too subtle for that.

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #24 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
I don't think he has them. You need to sudition them as they are not everyone's cup of tea and even then you will need to sit sown and put in some quality time with them. They won't wow you like a Grado. They are too subtle for that.

ahh I assumed wrong then.. when I was over he told me you might be sending some AT headphones his way
tongue.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #25 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19

I dunno - they wow me while the grados don't quite do it for me.
I guess the l3000 is just my cup of tea
icon10.gif

Jul 19, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #26 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken_loo
ahh I assumed wrong then.. when I was over he told me you might be sending some AT headphones his way
tongue.gif

I will when I get time. But I am currently looking to move to a new place so things are pretty much hectic at the moment.

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #27 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Congats on your new purchase, Chef. Your initial impressions seem to mirror my quick, meet-condition impressions I obtained listening to a new pair, especially with regard to their darker, bassier nature.

Funny thing is, that very same pair (Wayne's) I heard when new, is now garnering "bright" descriptions from the owner after burn-in! Wierd.

Hi Jimmy, the funny thing is that despite the passage of time, they're still not broken in! I know, I know, I should drop them into a burn-in system and let it fly for a week or two. But sometimes I prefer to listen to them as they settle in. Problem with these is that I've never given them the consistent head time that they so richly deserve.

So, my recent "bright" comments are probably not fully accurate (even for my own ears) because it's just one aspect of the highs that seems to rub me wrong. I'm not sure what it is, but the upper mids or lower treble region, not sure where it's at exactly but female vocals are a great illustration. At times they practically pierce my ears! I've read lots of comments where others have described the L3000's as being more extended than the R10's in the frequency extremes, and this is MOST CERTAINLY true in the bass department. Without a doubt, on the same system, disc after disc, the L3000's bass is more prominant than the R10's, and thus I can see where people would describe it as "dark". Yet, the bass is not overwhelming ala the PS-1's (most of the time) and Omega II's (every now and then).

Which is to say that I agree with Kyle that the L3000's seem to have a very neutral balance from high to low. Yet, I'm not 100% happy with something way up there. It doesn't seem to roll off any high notes, and maybe (at times), my ears just wish it would!

Jul 19, 2005 at 5:53 AM Post #28 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Hi Jimmy, the funny thing is that despite the passage of time, they're still not broken in! I know, I know, I should drop them into a burn-in system and let it fly for a week or two. But sometimes I prefer to listen to them as they settle in. Problem with these is that I've never given them the consistent head time that they so richly deserve.

So, my recent "bright" comments are probably not fully accurate (even for my own ears) because it's just one aspect of the highs that seems to rub me wrong. I'm not sure what it is, but the upper mids or lower treble region, not sure where it's at exactly but female vocals are a great illustration. At times they practically pierce my ears! I've read lots of comments where others have described the L3000's as being more extended than the R10's in the frequency extremes, and this is MOST CERTAINLY true in the bass department. Without a doubt, on the same system, disc after disc, the L3000's bass is more prominant than the R10's, and thus I can see where people would describe it as "dark". Yet, the bass is not overwhelming ala the PS-1's (most of the time) and Omega II's (every now and then).

Which is to say that I agree with Kyle that the L3000's seem to have a very neutral balance from high to low. Yet, I'm not 100% happy with something way up there. It doesn't seem to roll off any high notes, and maybe (at times), my ears just wish it would!

It seems that there is a "spike" (I don't know what the term is) in the upper midrange-lower treble where it peaks. I have notice this on other AT woody phones. I think it is a general characteristic. It's one of those things you either like or hate or it annoys you.

I have partnered the l3000 to a tube amp which is considered to be warm and that helps.

I don't know how long you used your l3000's for. But mine have been used consistently since I got them apart from messing around with the w2002's with tube amps.

you could try it with a tubey amp and see if that helps. If it doesn't then you can send them to me....

yowsers you find the PS-1's overwhelming? I thought everyone uses flats and bass boost? why else would you get them?
rs1smile.gif

Jul 20, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #29 of 350
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Yet, I'm not 100% happy with something way up there. It doesn't seem to roll off any high notes, and maybe (at times), my ears just wish it would!

How loud do you listen to them Wayne? I've noticed that to me when you start pushing the volume to moderately loud levels they tend to get a bit harsh. Might this be what you're hearing?

Jul 20, 2005 at 2:07 PM Post #30 of 350
I'm now at 50+ hours -
There has been some very large changes-

1. They got a lot brighter. As of the moment they sound more neutral/bright. That nice dark sound has gone away - This is partly because the highs have gotten sharper - I'm not so sure I like this... Jazz sounded better before.

2. They have gotten a lot faster- Their actually turning out to be pretty fast

3. There is now more bass - big change here, the impact has improved a good deal.

4. Mid's are now fuller

4. They have become even more transparent

right now this is what i'm saying -

Rock - 4.8/5 - same
Jazz - 4.5/5 - Down- the dark sound was what I was really digging, still sounds good though
Classical - 4.2/5 - up a little , the transparency and mids are helping
Electronic - 4.7/5 - Up alot- Lots of bass , faster , more transparent, sounds amazing

Users who are viewing this thread

Back